Squeaking noise, lend me your ear honda-tech. - Honda-Tech

Squeaking noise, lend me your ear honda-tech.

Old 03-20-2017, 02:42 PM   #1
Honda-Tech Member

Default Squeaking noise, lend me your ear honda-tech.

Long time lurker, who fixed many a problem with the information on here. Sadly, can't find anything that fits the bill for this. So hoping anyone of you might make an educated guess.

The sound is there only from around ~1000-1100 rpm.Can't exactly locate it but what is filmed seems to be the general area. Not sure if it's a belt noise. Seems to chug a bit and isn't that constant. Belts look okay, sprayed them down to no effect. In hindsight not have been able to reach the ones down in the engine bay properly. If I can say for sure it isn't a belt will try to locate the sound with an automotive stethoscope. In the mean time, someone here might exactly know what it is and prevent me from going on this wild goose chase.

EK3 97'
73k miles,manual D15Z6 (EUDM).
middernachtklub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:11 PM   #2
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squeaking noise, lend me your ear honda-tech.

Sounds kind of like power steering pump running dry. Is the P/S fluid full? Use only Honda or Honda compatible fluid to top up. Most generic fluids will damage the steering system.

Using about a 3 foot length of hose (old garden hose) holding one end to your ear while you move the other end near possibly noisy parts is a good way to localize noises. Be very careful of moving parts of course.

Take all 3 belts off, spin the parts by hand see if any are noisy. Start engine with belts off; if the noise is still there you will need to check the water pump and timing belt tensioner under the cover. Has timing belt service ever been done?
mk378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 04:19 AM   #3
Honda-Tech Member

All fluids are level, timing belt is well within spec. Did a visual inspection but it looked solid. Changed out the power steering, brake and clutch fluid because they were very off colour. To no effect, other than peace of mind. Did a rummage around with an automotive stethoscope but couldn't localize it.

I'll have a go with the belts off. Will report back. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-28-2017, 01:40 AM   #4
Honda-Tech Member

Small update,

Tracked it down to the alternator - still unsure whether it's a bearing, pulley or the belt. Treated the belt with belt dressing and the noise reduced and became more intermittent, but didn't go away.
Old 03-28-2017, 04:28 AM   #5
Honda-Tech Member

Take the belt off. Spin the pulley. If it catches, it may be going. New belt is less then $10. You need new one anyway, replace it.
civic402lx is offline   Reply With Quote