Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Squeaking groaning sound coming from Passenger front.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2014, 02:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking groaning sound coming from Passenger front.

As topic says, there's a squeaking and or groaning sound coming from my passenger front.

My car is a 1999 Honda Civic SI
the suspension I have are GC coils, on KYB AGX shocks.
Rest of the suspension is stock other than a comptech rear sway/tie bar. But the WONK WONK sound is coming up front.

I'm not sure entirely what it is, I'm hoping I can get some suggestions

It seems to only exist at slow speeds and where they is movement in the suspension. It seems to go away as I pick up on speed even if there is a load on that passenger front side, such as high way on ramp. But it is more pronounced at slow speed turning.

There is no shaking of my steering at all, at any speed. The car does NOT bounce erratically, so I'm not sure if its the shock or anything.

I lifted the passenger front end and grabbed a hold of my wheel to gave it a strong tug both from the left and right side to see if there was any kind of shimmy.

I also did the same by grabbing the top of the wheel and the bottom to see if there was any shimmying form top to bottom. The wheel felt nice as snug.

Any suggestions to what possible things it might be?

I'm trying to pinpoint it before I take it into a shop to have a look at.

Last edited by Red EM1; 11-09-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Squeaking groaning sound coming from Passenger front.

there was a rock caught in between the springs and I popped it out, but I don't think that was it, I'll go driving around to see if anything has changed.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I took it out for another drive.

When I steer the car left and right, left and right, in quick succession, there is no increase in sound.

When I go over bumps, or there is compression, there is sound.

It sounds like

WONK WONK! WONK WONK! WONK WONK!

When I got out of the car and I bounced the car up and down, again, it makes a WONK WONK! WONK WONK!

The car does not continue to bounce and settles quickly.

So not the shocks then?

Something else?

What could it be?
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Please edit your first post and provide complete car information. That would be year, make, model, trim and any modifications if the car is not stock.

After that, try bouncing the front end and see if you get any squeaks or groans that way. If you get nothing then it probably isn't suspension related.

Also did you spin the wheel to see if there was any brake drag?

P.S. Failure to add your car information to your first post can and most likely will cause a thread closure/lock so please do that first and foremost.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TomCat39
Please edit your first post and provide complete car information. That would be year, make, model, trim and any modifications if the car is not stock.

After that, try bouncing the front end and see if you get any squeaks or groans that way. If you get nothing then it probably isn't suspension related.

Also did you spin the wheel to see if there was any brake drag?

P.S. Failure to add your car information to your first post can and most likely will cause a thread closure/lock so please do that first and foremost.
alright I'll add the appropriate info, thanks.

I have not tried spinning the wheel to see if there is drag. I will do so on another day.

I did bounce the front end and under weight load of me bouncing it, it DOES go WONK WONK squeaking when I bounce it up and down. So I assume its suspension related.

Thank you for any info in assisting me, I'm trying to learn and be prepared to see if its relatively something I can fix.

I'm only basically inclined when it comes to working on cars.
Only things I do are change my own oil, diff fluids, brake pads, rotors, sway bar, exhaust, headers, intake, etc. Basically, just bolting on and off easy stuff.

I actually did install the coils and shocks myself with a bunch of buddies of mine. But that was 14 years ago, and back then, my friend had air tools to assist, and they knew what they were doing, while I was helping. but I also had a garage to work in back then. I do not have a garage anymore to work in. Only to park in.
Old 11-09-2014, 03:43 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

The bounce test sort of rules out the need to spin the wheel.

You get the noise with the bounce test. It could be any number of things. One being worn bushings. Another being worn shocks.

It will be very challenging pinpointing it if you cant get under there during the bounce testing. Basically you need a ramp lift, 4 ramps to park the car on, or a pit like in the oil change places. Then you can be under the car while someone bounces the front corner in question.

Doing that on the ground is next to impossible even for the skinniest of people. Let alone on a lowered car.
Old 04-03-2015, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've had my car sitting around for a few months for the winter. Well, whatever it is they call winter here in Texas. Cold enough that I haven't been driving it. I needed to save up some money to potentially fix this issue.

I want to try to get it resolved now, I'm looking for any good reputable shops that anybody would recommend in the League City suburb of southeast Houston. Webster area, Kemah area.

some of the smaller shops don't want to work on it because its been *lowered* so I'm looking for somebody who can.

So far there are some shops I've looked up, one called Nevrslo, at Nevrslo Motorsports Has anybody every done work with or familiar with them?

There's a pretty snazzy shop MDR performance in Kemah, but they seem overkill for what probably is something simple *at least I hope so* on my car. They're a full build race shop. Not sure they'd care about me or my little EM1.

A friend said I should just try a local NTB but one quoted double labor for a lowered vehicle.

Just trying to find out I can do if anybody has some suggestions.

Ask for any info I can provide if it can help.

I'm literally asking customers that come into my store if they know of any good shops.