Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sqeaking Noise... Hmm!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 04:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sqeaking Noise... Hmm!

It's a long post, so bear with my please...

Well, it goes like this. I've been hearing a slight sqeaking noise on my Honda (details in signature) for as long as I remember. I don't think it sqeaked like this when we first got this car. I listened around the motor and I thought I was hearing it from the alternator belt both at the alternator and at the crank pulley.

I read recently in a Honda tune-up book (which is pretty old, mind you) which says that the deflection in the belt should be about 1/2" when you press with your finger. I tested it and it was less than 1/2" so I adjusted the belt to be less tight, a little less than 1/2" deflection. When I turned on the car I could hear the same sqeaking noise but it was MUCH MUCH louder. I couldn't even stand close to the engine because it was so loud.

What I did was readjusted the belt so that it was close to was it was when I first started and the loud sqeaky noise disappeared but I could still hear the slight sqeaky noise like I did before.

The specs in the service manual say the deflection in the alternator belt should be around .31 to .41" or something close to that when you apply 22lbs.ft of force (which of course I have no way of doing with the tools I have; I just tested it by applying force with my finger and seeing how far it will go). Right now, the belt deflection is set close to that limit.

I don't think the noise is caused by the A/C belt because the A/C is off when this occurs and I don't think it's the power steering belt because the noise doesn't change when I move the wheel.

My question to you is, do you think it's caused by the alternator belt and if so do I need to tighten the alternator belt even more? I don't know how I'll tighten it more as I have no way of applying more force to the alternator because there's no room at all to handle the alternator well, even though there's room for adjustment on the bracket.

Let me know what you think and how to fix the sqeaky noise.

Thanks!
Old 06-01-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Sqeaking Noise... Hmm!

first thing you need to do is take off each belt, one at a time to pin-point the noise. If it is still there with just the alternator belt ONLY, then it is the belt slipping on the alternator or the alternator has a bad bearing. With a "belt squeel" on first start up, it is usually caused by the alternator/belt. Hope that helps

evan
Old 06-01-2009, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if i understand this correctly, u adjusted the alt belt and the noise got worse? if dats the case the alt bearing is bad. to check this, take a long screwdriver and put the phillips/flathead end on the alt as close the bearing as u can SAFELY. then take the butt end to ur ear. like a stethascope. u shud b able to hear the bearing noise throught the screwdriver.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How much deflection should there be when you press with your finger on the belt? I'll check out the bearings.

The interesting thing is that when the car is cold and the RPM are high the squeaky noise isn't there. It starts once the car warms up a little and the RPM drop.

Last edited by civic_driver; 06-01-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the rule of thumb that i use is, on the longest stretch of the belt, i should only be able to twist the belt a little past 90 degrees
Old 06-02-2009, 04:43 PM

less than 90 degrees of deflection is adaquate
Old 06-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I went and bought a belt spray today which protects against belt slippage and against belt squeaks and what do you know... after I applied it, the squeaky noise stopped. I sprayed all three belts so I don't know which one was causing the squeaking but it's probably from the alternator one.

Anyway, it says to apply it every 3000 miles so I guess I'll just keep doing that

Last edited by civic_driver; 06-02-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i would just slap a set of belts on it, if the spray fixed it, just get some new ones man
Old 06-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn wrong thread... sorry
Old 06-02-2009, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm... Paypal?

Edit: Alright
Old 06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by g230sport
i would just slap a set of belts on it, if the spray fixed it, just get some new ones man
I will put new belts on when I change the timing belt which will be in about 30K miles.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for a refresher and common knowledge in the future, what is the rule of thumb for changing belts? 15k?
Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no idea to tell you the truth. Maybe someone who works at a Honda dealership would know.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay, the squeaky noise came back today and it was a little louder than before. I'm wondering now, does this belt conditioner/spray work for extended periods of time or is it junk?

The good news is that I found out where the noise is coming from. It's coming from the top small pulley on the A/C belt. I sprayed it again today and the noise went away once again.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just replace the Ac idler pulley with the belts. Cuz, Koyo's 'D' average engineers designed and used a piece of crap pulley.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh so that's what it's called. Sweet. Do I replace it with an OEM one or do I get an aftermarket one?

Btw, I will probably do this when I replace my timing belt in 30K miles.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by civic_driver
Oh so that's what it's called. Sweet. Do I replace it with an OEM one or do I get an aftermarket one?

Btw, I will probably do this when I replace my timing belt in 30K miles.
Always buy OEM parts, I personally dont trust aftermarket parts.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, Hondas are pretty cheap so I don't think the available parts are the best quality but I think they're within spec so they work. I'm sure some companies make better quality parts for Hondas that are within spec. Also, if this A/C Idler Pulley makes this noise, wouldn't another OEM pulley make the same noise?

On a side note: When I sprayed the belts and pulleys with the belt conditioner the noise went away but it kept coming back. I think it's because I hadn't driven the car since I sprayed it which would allow the belts and conditioner to seat in properly.

I just started the car and the noise was back. So I took a spin around the block to allow the belt and conditioner to start working together and after I got in the high rpm a few times the belt stopped making the noise. Right now it's quiet like it should be. I just hope the noise doesn't come back tomorrow when the car is cold. That would suck.
Old 06-03-2009, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nemesis25
Always buy OEM parts, I personally dont trust aftermarket parts.
Unless it comes from NAPA... I've never had a part fail on me from NAPA... It may cost a lil more though...
Old 06-04-2009, 05:14 PM

[QUOTE=civic_driver;38773981]Okay, the squeaky noise came back today and it was a little louder than before. I'm wondering now, does this belt conditioner/spray work for extended periods of time or is it junk?

Belt conditioner is really designed for v-belt applications. When they get hard and weathered it softens them up. It will stop the noise for a little bit with serpentine belts, but if the belts are tight and you have no pulleys/components hanging up NEW BELTS!!
Old 06-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

On the bottle it says it works for all types of belts so I trust it.

Anyway, the noise is gone after driving for two days and allowing the spray to work into the belts. Now the car is very quiet compared to what it was.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're avoiding the inevitable. Buy NEW belts, and use the conditioner every 3000 miles to prolong the GOOD HEALTH of the belts, not try to bring old belts back to good working order.