Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sputtering problem please help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sputtering problem please help!!!

i have a 97 b18b from a 4 door automatic ls. in a 96 hatch with a gsr tranny, skunk 2 manifold ,fuel regulator at 58 psi full tr. dc headers,msd blaster,chipped ecu. the car sputter at 4.000rpm to 5.000rpm then after i full tr. it throws a cel for intake tempature sensor then i'll turn the key back and forth and the cel goes away till i full trottle again i changed the sensor and the harness plug and nothing. from the day i got the motor it does that and i'm going crazy i changed everything from engine harness to injectors to distruber fuel rail ecu etc and nothing.. please help me outtttttt
Old 05-05-2007, 03:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sputtering problem please help!!! (lamafia781)

and its blowing white smoke that smells like fuel
Old 05-05-2007, 04:07 PM

Default Re: sputtering problem please help!!! (lamafia781)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamafia781 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i have a 97 b18b from a 4 door automatic ls. in a 96 hatch with a gsr tranny, skunk 2 manifold ,fuel regulator at 58 psi full tr. dc headers,msd blaster,chipped ecu. the car sputter at 4.000rpm to 5.000rpm then after i full tr. it throws a cel for intake tempature sensor then i'll turn the key back and forth and the cel goes away till i full trottle again i changed the sensor and the harness plug and nothing. from the day i got the motor it does that and i'm going crazy i changed everything from engine harness to injectors to distruber fuel rail ecu etc and nothing.. please help me outtttttt </TD></TR></TABLE>

Our car began sputtering at about 5,500 Rpm lastweek. (Boosted Y8) I changed plugs and that solved it. I'm sure you've put new plugs in just from the other items you mentioned changing.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lamafia781 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and its blowing white smoke that smells like fuel</TD></TR></TABLE>

As for the smoke.... I googled the white smoke and found this.
<FONT COLOR="blue">White smoke: White smoke is caused by water and or antifreeze entering the cylinder, and the engine trying to burn it with the fuel. The white smoke is steam. There are special gaskets (head gaskets are the primary gaskets) that keep the antifreeze from entering the cylinder area. The cylinder is where the fuel and air mixture are being compressed and burned. Any amount of antifreeze that enters this area will produce a white steam that will be present at the tailpipe area.

If white smoke is present, check to see if the proper amount of antifreeze is inside the radiator and the overflow bottle. Also check to see if antifreeze has contaminated the engine oil. You can look at the engine oil dipstick, or look at the under side of the engine oil filler cap. If the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, it will have the appearance of a chocolate milkshake. Do not start the engine if the oil is contaminated with antifreeze, as serious internal engine damage can result.

How did antifreeze get in the oil or cylinder in the first place? The engine probably overheated and a head gasket failed due to excessive heat, thus allowing antifreeze to enter the cylinder (Where it is not meant to be).
</FONT>

I hope it's not the above mentioned, but you might check the dipstick just to be safe. I wish I could help you more. Good Luck.