Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sputtering?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 07:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sputtering?

Whats up guys.... heres my issue. i have a ls turbo on 8psi in my 93 ex coupe and i was driving down the highway the other night and it just started to sputter and then when i would hit the gas it would just sputter like it was only runnin on a few clyinders. when i got home i left it running and pulled of each injector clip one at a time. each time it died down except for number one cyl i pulled off the clip and it stayed running the same so then i shut the car of let it sit then i tryed starting it agian and it wouldnt start. fuel filter hasent been changed in i cant remenber the last time. i think that that is the problem what do u think? any ideas or similar problems? thanks for the help
Old 11-09-2007, 12:04 PM

Default Re: Sputtering? (Got Snail 2)

My '00 civic ex started doing the exact same thing on monday. I was on my way to work and went to pass a car on the highway and all of a sudden I am having insane sputtering. I went to autozone after work and got codes for 3 cylinders with random misfires. I bought a fuel filter and installed it (while I was test driving bought a bottle of injector cleaner and cruised for a bit)....the problem didn't get any better. So I checked the plugs.....all were sparking, but they looked a bit lean (white-ish). Next I re installed the plugs and at idle disconnected the injectors one at a time, and found the exact problem you have....the first cylinder has no effect when disconnected, where all 3 others make the engine immediately start to stumble worse.

I went and next day shipped a new injector, which I installed last night. To my disappointment it didn't fix the issue.

So now I'm wondering if it's a fuel pressure issue (which I'm not sure how to check!).
I'm thinking a fuel pump might be the answer, but obviously I don't want to keep throwing money at stuff that's not fixing the problem.

I hope someone can give us some insight to this problem, because I'm starting to get frustrated....the car was running excellent up until this point.

P.S. My timing belt was changed at 75k miles and the car now has 102k just in case anyone was gonna ask!
Old 11-09-2007, 01:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i had the same issue a while ago
and after a few days of searching and reading i found that it is a very common issue.

most people start trying to fix it with a tune up, plugs/wires/cap

sometimes that works sometimes it doesnt.

then you move on the the ignitor, and also the distributor.

mine ended up being fuel related, i took my injectors off the rail and attempted to clean em up a bit, got some fuel injector cleaner, drove the car pretty hard for a bit, and it cleared up.

i wish you both lots of luck
Old 11-09-2007, 03:43 PM

yea def try plugs/wires/cap and maybe injectors if youwanna spend some more money...

also get your fuel filter replaced... should do that like every 30k miles that way you dont have any fuel problems....

try all that then get back to us see if it works.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the same problem, I narrowed it down to the ignitor or the coil. Well buying these items seperate would cost more than a new dizzy. I went out and picked up a new dizzy and the car runs like a champ now!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:02 PM

well, so far I've done: fuel filter, Injector, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, bottle of injector cleaner....

and no love.

Each time I replace something It fires right up and runs great for a matter of seconds, then returns to sputtering...I also noticed that if I let it idle or hold the throttle on steady the rpm's raise and lower randomly, which is makin' me think I'm not getting a steady flow of fuel.

I bought a bottle of throttle body cleaner and was gonna give that a try next because it's pretty dirty. other than that not sure what my next move should be.
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You should check your coil. I had my stock coil and msd blaster coil go bad on me.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:44 AM

Default Re: (cjk95delsolsi)

HA HA i just remembered that i washed m engine bay down and i think i got the dizzy harness wet and it shorted the coil out and i tested the coil and it was bad that sounds like the problem that your having.
Old 11-14-2007, 09:31 AM

Default Re: (Got Snail 2)

to test the coil should I just use a multimeter to check voltage / resistance etc. ? I was going to try last night but couldn't find my meter so I might buy a new one today after work and check it.

Old 11-14-2007, 03:40 PM

I tested my coil and the 2 ratings (based on the repair manual I have) are right in line with where they should be. .7 ohms and 15.4k ohms. I guess it's possible that it would read ok, but be weak when the car is running...or should I start to look elsewhere?
Old 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Ok, while the car is idling I am getting some cel flashes (7 of them) which is listed as a throttle position sensor. it looks like the tps is riveted to the throttle body....do you really have to buy a whole new tb just to replace the tps??? Would this cause the crazy misfiring and erratic idling, or could this tps code be caused by the misfiring, because I wasn't getting this code when my problem started 2 weeks ago.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:29 AM

Default Re: (BootySmaka')

there are two things in the distributor that go bad the ignitor and the coil i the coil is like 50 bucks new i got it for 20 cuz i work in a grage but it really sounds like the coil or the ignitor. your best bet i think would to see if one of your friends has a used dissy that you can try out. good luck. i dont think that your tps would cause sputtering
Old 11-15-2007, 06:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know if you can buy a new TPS and install it, but I know you can go to the junkyard and buy a used throttle body and fix it that way. I would be cheaper too.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:23 AM

Well, I bought a new coil and installed it and no go! Luckily I was able to return it 'cause the cheapest one I found over here was 80 bills. So I guess next on the list are ICM, fuel pump, vacuum leak.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:19 AM

did i check for spark. there is also an ignitor in the distributer. i am not sure how much that is but i would try that next. good luck.
Old 11-20-2007, 04:21 AM

Default Re: (Got Snail 2)

also if u have a fuel pressure guage you can test your fuel pressure to see if it is ur fuel pump. and if you do have good spark on all cylinders i would try this insted