Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spun Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spun Bearing

hey what's up guys, well basically i make this short and simple

Going to go pick up a White Eg coupe for 300$ with a D16y6 v-tec with a spun bearing, runs SUPER strong and the only reason i know it's a good car is my cousin told me everything about it and he would NEVER **** me over. He only bought the car for 700$ being it has Tokio Reds on it. Well my tech. question is how much and what do i need to fix a spun bearing? I did some research but couldn't find a nice detailed one besides something about replacing it and "Overhauling" your engine. Can anyone give me some insight on this? If it's an expensive and hard part i can pick the car up for 200-250$ nothing else wrong with it besides paint is only stage 2 not stage 3(About 1200$ paint job) and the door is purple and about 2 inches out of line(doesn't leak whatsoever though).
Old 01-18-2013, 05:58 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Spun Bearing

get a new engine. a spun bearing is not going to run strong by any stretch of the imagination. you need to machine the crank and journals. not worth it for that POS engine.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:01 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Get a new engine. Call HMO.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I just drove the car not even 30 mins again and ran it up to 6k rpms 4-5 times, crossover is nice. The car runs extremely strong not even kidding lol. He says thats what he thinks is wrong with the engine(ls) and it was just causing it to not start. I can get the d16 for free with it and that's what i test drove today. The ls i drove about a week ago, less miles but the bearing needs to be fixed. Is it literally THAT BAD that you have to get a new engine? Everything i've heard about bearings is fixeable.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:06 PM
The Grumpiest

Compare cost or rebuild to a new engine and decide for yourself. That simple.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Compare cost or rebuild to a new engine and decide for yourself. That simple.
Like i said i don't wanna argue about it but i do want some insight on it. So a spun bearing will cost me to repair and rebuild the WHOLE engine? jesus christ is this like the 2nd worse thing to a Rod knock? lmfao Well i'm getting the d16y6 vtec for free with it anyways so it will be running. I'm just garaging it will i'm going to work on it. Some bullshit happen with DMV so i have to wait until late oct to get my license(i'll be 18 that's why) so i'm not planning on driving it for a awhile and just going to trailer it to my friends shop and start building on. Money won't be a problem in about 3 weeks. I'll be working 60 hour weeks lol
Old 01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
The Grumpiest

Who's arguing? Do the comparison. Will it cost more to repair than to replace? Answer that and you answer you own question. If you can/cannot do the work yourself, then factor that into the equation.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Who's arguing? Do the comparison. Will it cost more to repair than to replace? Answer that and you answer you own question. If you can/cannot do the work yourself, then factor that into the equation.
That's the thing, i have no idea what it is or cost of a spun bearing? Do i just have to buy a bearing and fix it my self? ALL the work will be done by me and ANY help i need i have friends and family. 99% of all the work will be done by myself and any questions or help i can always get it. **** if i need a mechanic lift i have a shop 15 mins away to take it there as long as i want free of charge. what i want to know is what will be the cost to fix one of these? Something small like 100-200$ or somethign crazy like 600$?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
been there done that

you NEED to machine the crank and whatever journal/s were affected. unless you have a machine shop in your garage, no you cant do that yourself. you dont just slap in new bearings and go.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about you just disassemble the D16 and have a machine shop tell you if the crank and journals are okay or not? If it is toasted then obviously a swap is the answer. If you can machine and run oversized bearings then why not?

Personally I would just sell the motor cheap (still could get $150 for the longblock or so) and put that money towards an LS swap.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by doood
you NEED to machine the crank and whatever journal/s were affected. unless you have a machine shop in your garage, no you cant do that yourself. you dont just slap in new bearings and go.
That's all i needed to know lol i've never dealt with or even had to deal with a spun bearing. I'm assuming a spun bearing is the Rod bearing? I can get almost any OEM part free from a local friend because i help out A LOT for nothing in return. So if i take it to a shop i need to from the the "Crack" "machined"? As long as i have detailed info on what i need to do i can go get it quoted tomorrow and get OVER a 50% deal on it if not free. If it's something i can't do myself i'll take the car tomorrow to my friends shop and ask him to help out. So to fix a spun bearing can someone make a simple list i can write down and have it checked out? i WANT TO KNOW what i'm working with and if i end up having to go to another shop i don't want to be ripped off.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94preludeguy
How about you just disassemble the D16 and have a machine shop tell you if the crank and journals are okay or not? If it is toasted then obviously a swap is the answer. If you can machine and run oversized bearings then why not?

Personally I would just sell the motor cheap (still could get $150 for the longblock or so) and put that money towards an LS swap.
No the d16 runs FINE, i got my wording messed up. The LS swap(What's sitting in the car for the time being) has a spun bearing. I can have the D16y6-v for free with the car and it runs strong. Only reason i ask what it will cost is if it's cheap to fix(200-300$) i will just get the LS and clean it up and flip the car for an EK COUPE the same week.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
been there done that

tell the shop the engine spun a bearing. done.
Old 01-18-2013, 09:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There's a whole pile of irony ITT. Does anyone else see it?

Hints: OP lives in CA, D16Y6.
Old 01-18-2013, 10:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
There's a whole pile of irony ITT. Does anyone else see it?

Hints: OP lives in CA, D16Y6.
Not actually sure what's the irony in that? personally i think it's either a z6-v or y7-v. i didn't get much time to look at the bottom block to see what the block was and couldn't check the head either. All i know is i took a quick glance, seen the vtec solenoid, drove it and checked around for any major repairs. ONLY THING on the car is the passenger door needs to be knocked up 1 1/2 inches.

Also if you're talking about the fact that i called it a y6 instead of a y8 is because my cousin is awkward/weird like that and called it that. I even looked it up to check where the **** y6 came from and it's just a New Zealand version of a d16y8(So i'm guessing he either knew that and called it y6 or for whatever really the motor is labeled y6 and the motor is from New Zealand) i personally just think he called it y6 instead of y8 lol
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

My 2 cents

Originally Posted by PerfectionIsKey
i didn't get much time to look at the bottom block to see what the block was and couldn't check the head either.
It's pretty easy to check the VIN and block/head codes.

Also if you're talking about the fact that i called it a y6 instead of a y8 is because my cousin is awkward/weird like that and called it that. I even looked it up to check where the **** y6 came from and it's just a New Zealand version of a d16y8(So i'm guessing he either knew that and called it y6 or for whatever really the motor is labeled y6 and the motor is from New Zealand) i personally just think he called it y6 instead of y8 lol
Sounds like it may be wise to question a lot of what your cousin tells you.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:06 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
It's pretty easy to check the VIN and block/head codes.
Takes 2 seconds if you know where to look.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If it's a good shell then you pretty much got a free car for that price, spend $3000 and get a B16 from HMO. $3000 for a new honda engine with 160 HP
Old 01-19-2013, 07:24 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The irony is that the person who swore up and down you can't BAR and legally drive a K swapped EJ in CA also thinks you can BAR and legally drive a D16Y6 swapped car in CA.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jbpnoman
The irony is that [he] thinks you can BAR and legally drive a D16Y6 swapped car in CA.
...though he now seems to acknowledge that the engine is unlikely to be a D16Y6 and is more likely a D16Y8.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

As I understand from your posts, you have the option to get the car with a working D16 or an LS with a spun bearing. Common sense tells me to go with the D16. If you wanted a bigger engine, just buy a used engine. There are a lot of low milage jap engines that cost the same or cheaper than a rebuild.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by axis11
As I understand from your posts, you have the option to get the car with a working D16 or an LS with a spun bearing. Common sense tells me to go with the D16. If you wanted a bigger engine, just buy a used engine. There are a lot of low milage jap engines that cost the same or cheaper than a rebuild.
Can you legally BAR a JDM engine in CA?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:49 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Can you legally BAR a JDM engine in CA?
Nope, engine has to be available on the US market in a chassis the same age or newer, among other things.
Old 01-19-2013, 07:53 AM
The Grumpiest

I thought you could if all the emissions related elements from the USDM equivalent were present and operating.
Old 01-19-2013, 08:06 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

I thought you could if all the emissions related elements from the USDM equivalent were present and operating.
I can't find the law (I know, weird for me), but last I read said the motor itself must be available in the US. That doesn't mean it necessarily has to be USDM, it just has to have a direct USDM equivalent.

Quick Reply: Spun Bearing