Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

springs loose when i jack up car???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default springs loose when i jack up car???

hey guys well im in the process of lowering my car. I will try to explain as best as possible as to whats going on

the rears went on without a glitch so we'll leave those alone
Next i went on to do the fronts, i compressed the oem spring and removed it from the shock. Now the lowering spring, i would normally compress the spring and put it back on the shock likei always have. But in this case the spring is so short that i do not need to compress it to get it on the shock.
When i put it all together and bolted it back on. When the car is jacked up the spring is free to move. The only thing holdinig it is the weight of the car when i take it off the jack.

does anyone else have this problem of the springs being free when on the jack ?? I stopped because this has never happened to me in the past, and am kind of scared of them becoming unsteated while on the road
Old 08-13-2004, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (4G63)

what springs?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:04 AM

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (BatuKing)

well its a vw so its not too important, FK
Old 08-13-2004, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (BatuKing)

I can already tell you that those can't be the right springs for your car. That is not normal.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WTF? they are lowering springs jack ***... thats how they are. Unless you have a shorter shock body than stock, you won't have to compress them. If you want something to compress, put your OE springs back on.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (b cruz)

No No No. They should still fit snug on the struts, and not be just moving around when you jack it up. And do you need to call him a jack ***?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 4G63 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now the lowering spring, i would normally compress the spring and put it back on the shock likei always have. But in this case the spring is so short that i do not need to compress it to get it on the shock.
When i put it all together and bolted it back on. When the car is jacked up the spring is free to move. The only thing holdinig it is the weight of the car when i take it off the jack.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 08-13-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (mEKsican)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mEKsican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No No No. They should still fit snug on the struts, and not be just moving around when you jack it up. And do you need to call him a jack ***?</TD></TR></TABLE>so you are telling me you have installed lowering springs and use a spring compressor on them?
Old 08-13-2004, 10:13 AM

mine are loose too... i think it just means that your gonna blow your shocks
Old 08-13-2004, 10:14 AM
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">WTF? they are lowering springs jack ***... thats how they are. Unless you have a shorter shock body than stock, you won't have to compress them. If you want something to compress, put your OE springs back on.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lowering springs will still need to be compressed. He has springs. Not ground controls or any of those other coilover sleeves. THOSE you can install without compressing because the springs are so damn short. Lowering springs (at least the ones I had) are usually only 1-2" shorter than the stock ones so they're more than likely going to need some compressing.
To the OP, I'd double check and make sure that they're the right springs for your car. How low does the car sit when it's off the jack? Is it pretty much at the rated drop height? Do the springs sit in their seats nice and snug and not in some awkward way?
Honda-Tech Member

Nope. I actually pushed down on them and had my friend instal the strut bolt on the top as i pushed down. They were snug though, not moving around.
H-T White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by b cruz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so you are telling me you have installed lowering springs and use a spring compressor on them? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ding ding ding. You MAY have to use a compressor.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mEKsican &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Nope. I actually pushed down on them and had my friend instal the strut bolt on the top as i pushed down. They were snug though, not moving around.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and it lowered your car 1.5inches?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ding ding ding. You MAY have to use a compressor.</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you were putting back your OE coils.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:17 AM

hey island, when i take the car off the jack and watch that they are seated properly they sit in the perches fine. And they are lowered to their advertised drop, just when i jkack it up they are loose and free to flop around
Old 08-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

no. 2" drop
Old 08-13-2004, 10:21 AM

i had a 2.2" drop on my nissan and they were snug while this is a similar drop and they are loose on my jetta
Old 08-13-2004, 10:22 AM

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (IslandSi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by IslandSi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lowering springs will still need to be compressed. He has springs. Not ground controls or any of those other coilover sleeves. THOSE you can install without compressing because the springs are so damn short. Lowering springs (at least the ones I had) are usually only 1-2" shorter than the stock ones so they're more than likely going to need some compressing.
To the OP, I'd double check and make sure that they're the right springs for your car. How low does the car sit when it's off the jack? Is it pretty much at the rated drop height? Do the springs sit in their seats nice and snug and not in some awkward way?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah your right i have sleeve type coilovers that's why mine are all loose makes sense
Old 08-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (jdm169)

Coilovers will be loose not regular lowering springs. They should fit snug.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:29 AM

My guess either the springs are cut or the shocks are blown. I had the same problem.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (12 oz.)

what does blown shocks have to do with shock length? it doesn't extend longer if they are blown...
Old 08-13-2004, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

whats the problem? you dodnt drive around with your car jacked up do u? i wouldnt worry about...sleeve tyoe coilovers have the same "symptoms" as long as the spring seats right its no big deal dont worry about it! They aint gonna go any where with 3000lbs ontop of them...the only way they would unseat is if u became airborne...or something crazy like that!
Old 08-13-2004, 10:54 AM
ABK
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (JDMisGOOD)

usually if the drop is over 2 inches you don't have to use spring compressor and sometimes springs are so short that stuff like that happen, case closed as long as it's a good spring I wouldn't worry.

if you drop the car 2.5 inches the spring will be like 3.5 inches shorter then the stock one too because of the higher spring rates. Neewbiess
Old 08-13-2004, 11:01 AM

i agree with the last post bout the spring not seating properly. i have skunk 2 coilovers and they are loose when the car is jacked up. I also had some lowering springs b4 and b4 i chopped them they fit snug, but they where only a 1-2.5" drop. how much where the springs supposed to lower your car? i wouldn't worry, think about it, look how high your tire is off the ground when jacked up, unless you drive like dukes of hazard there is no way your spring can become unseated.i am sure there is a way but unlikely. the weight of the car on them keep em there and i think should be fine.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: springs loose when i jack up car??? (99cxrico)

Ok you guys are right. I thought otherwise because I have lowered many friends cars and never ran into that problem. Then I went back and realized that I never did any of them over 2". I called my friends at Access Motors and said that sometimes they are loose. I stand corrected. SORRY BCRUZ. My bad.
Old 08-13-2004, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I've done a few lowering jobs and never had to compress the aftermarket spring.

Quick Reply: springs loose when i jack up car???