Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 12:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES

I'm looking to buy a CF FRONT LIP for an EG... but first wanted to ask you guys a question --> what are the subtle AND major differences between the SPOON, BENEN, and the FIBER IMAGES versions??? Can you guys totally tell the 3 apart from one another when they're on the car??? Which do you say is the best deal? Thanks everyone!!!
Old 03-15-2002, 12:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (formula031)

there all pretty much the exact same
as for diffrences outside of the car im not sure, someone knows tho. (im making the same decisiion, but between benen a FI)
Old 03-15-2002, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Benen without a doubt... Planning to order a hood from them very soon... Benen is made of Carbon Kevlar instead of fiber glass for the mold... The Benen lip also flexs when it scraps against the floor so it wont break so easily... Read the new issue of Sports Compact Car where thier is the project Civic and they will tell u about the Benen products...
Old 03-15-2002, 12:59 PM

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (JTam128)

Yeah, i've heard a lot of good things about the BENEN one over the others. I've heard horror stories of guys ordering the SPOON one and having cracks on it from shipping. BENEN is probably the one i'm going to go with but still want your input before i make a solid decision...
Old 03-15-2002, 01:11 PM
Trial User

i'm not even gonna get started on benen's customer service again....................
Old 03-15-2002, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I saw the benen one in person and it is reinforced with Kevlar (yellowish) insides. FI backs there stuff up though, so it is a tough decision. I guess it is preference since the prices aren't that drastic between the three. Good Luck!
Old 03-15-2002, 02:07 PM

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (ek_mr5)

So... is BENEN's customer service that bad?.... how long did you have to wait for your parts?
Old 03-15-2002, 02:21 PM

You know, most of the people says that Benen make the best CF part, well most of those people actually never ordered parts from them. I placed an order (Carbon Fiber Duckbill for 92-95 Civic HB) on Jan 23rd 2002, and it was suppose to be in on Jan 31st. So on Feb 4 nothing was in, so I called them to ask about my order, and I was told that they don't have this part in stock and the production is push to next month. So I would had to wait another month and maybe more to get my wing. So I asked for full refund. (Gotta admit that this process was quick with no problem)

I don't know if I ordered my part in a bad moment, but the customer service was not great. They should have told me before I put my order that it could take more than 2 months.

So I didnt saw the part, so I can't give my opinion about the quality, but the customer service is not really good.

Old 03-15-2002, 03:20 PM

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (Beeline)

How long have the rest of you guys waited to receive your CF lips???
Old 03-15-2002, 03:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES

I've been calling Benen since Nov. of last year and I'm still waiting for their carbon fiber stuff.... the last email I got from them, the wait time is about another month.

[Modified by chiangm, 12:29 AM 3/16/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

2 days from FI. Hoods and Lips.
Old 03-15-2002, 03:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (MugenEF7)

If you want BENEN look for the user name BENENEK on this board he works
at landspeed racing in az and from what i understand thay have them in stock
at a very good price

http://www.landspeedracing.com
Old 03-15-2002, 03:44 PM

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (rolow)

I'll keep an eye out... thx
Old 03-15-2002, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well I know the benen guys personally. They're cool.

But ...

I've heard of stories where people have ordered from them and they lagged and lagged and lagged (like the past customers who posted above), and basically got their money back, since procastination took over.

They're products are good, no doubt.
Stronger. more durable, and can handle abuse over other brands (Spoon n' such). I've seen this stuff in person. They've made that clear. The prices on the other hand are another issue. They're pricing on parts is not really competitive with other CF making companies such as FI. That's what sucks, but they stick by their motto of having really good quality products and that's what your paying for.. Hmm I dunno about that though. Someone would rather buy an authentic Spoon part (chin spoiler for example) from Spoon rather than Benen, just because of the clout Spoon has. And, Spoon probably has that part in stock. I dunno how Benen stays alive with these other 'cheaper' cf making companies around..

I think that actually hurts them in the wallet if you ask me. Another issues is what parts they actually make. Is it me? or is most of their product just a copy of Spoon parts? tow hooks, cf hood, spoon duckbill copy, spoon chin spoiler copy, etc... I really wish Benen would make some worth while products that would sell....for instance, some kind of mounting kit for putting an Integra radiator in a 92+ civic. Or something like that...maybe even their own bolt-in kit (but yah i know, those a made by soo many other places), if Benen made motor mounts I'm sure they'd turn out real nice with all that machining they have access too.

I dunno, these are just some thoughts that came up when I saw this thread.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not raggin/hating on Benen at all, i'm just lookin at them from a business/money making point of view..

[Modified by Katman, 5:57 PM 3/15/2002]
Old 03-15-2002, 06:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (Katman)

Well pricing on Bene has got me a little confused - on their website it says about $400 for the CF Duckbill wing, and most of the prices I see for the Spoon one is about $600. Anyone know how much the duckbill really is
Old 03-15-2002, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (navin)

If u have a problem with Benen customer service, u can always order from someone who carries it... Check http://www.groupbuycenter.com they have a special going on, but i dont kno if i would trust the guy since he has no rating... He posted up in the best buy forum in h-t.. U can search for it...
Old 03-15-2002, 09:53 PM
New User

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (JTam128)

I am very good friends with Ken and Dominique, and you guys who are complaining about them lagging have to understand... Benen are two brothers trying to make as much as they can, to keep up with demand, but then are also trying to do research and development... So while you all are whining about how it took forever to get the part and you just gave up, put yourself in their shoes and remember the old saying "patience is a virtue".

As far as quality, Benen by far is the best I have ever seen. I have both a Spoon lip and Spoon Hood for my R, and as soon as they are ready, Ken is going to make a mold of both of them, and then it's bye bye Spoon, hello good Benen!
Old 03-16-2002, 05:24 AM
Trial User

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (1 FAST R)

I am very good friends with Ken and Dominique, and you guys who are complaining about them lagging have to understand... Benen are two brothers trying to make as much as they can, to keep up with demand, but then are also trying to do research and development... So while you all are whining about how it took forever to get the part and you just gave up, put yourself in their shoes and remember the old saying "patience is a virtue".

As far as quality, Benen by far is the best I have ever seen. I have both a Spoon lip and Spoon Hood for my R, and as soon as they are ready, Ken is going to make a mold of both of them, and then it's bye bye Spoon, hello good Benen!
you are missing the point of the my story, as with others. if they would be up front with people and admit to not having the parts made and ready to ship, many of us would not be so concerned. its just when they tell me that the parts are ready to ship, and in all actuallity they are not, its just straight up lying to your face. i dont care if they are just two brothers trying to make it, that doesnt give you an excuse to lie to your customers. i hope they do "make" it, as i think there products are good, or else i wouldn't have ordered them, er, tried to order them twice now.
Old 03-16-2002, 08:01 AM

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (hybridkid)

Yeah, getting the runaround sucks ***!!! I agree being a little more straight forward & honest up front might give their existing & potential customers a little more confidence/reassurance in ordering from them. I've heard only great things about their product. I imagine they are trying to fill all their customers' orders as quickly as they can, as well as running their shop, and continueing R&D. I personally don't mind waiting (as long as it's not an extraordinary one) for a great product just as long as i'm not kept in the dark and getting the runaround.

I've already called/emailed a bunch of places but who do you guys feel is the most reliable/cost effective/etc? Who do you guys recommend going to for the SPOON version? Who for the BENEN? Thanks!
Old 03-16-2002, 09:50 AM
-Racer X-

benen products are the best....can you stand on a spoon or FI hood trustingly? lol...also...yes, some of their products do resemble spoon products, but they are lighter and way stronger than spoon stuff ever will be...ya, and as he said....put yourself in their shoes...
Old 03-16-2002, 11:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (-Racer X-)

I also know Ken and his brother, in fact velascoracing.com's drag civic is sponsored by benen. And their is so much demand for their product, especially the carbon fiber stuff, we can't even get it right now.

Look it at it this way. The hoods are made in two peice molds that cost upwards of 5-6k each to make. Benen orders their carbon and kevlar from aerospace companies. The carbon is laid into the mold, and then the excess resin is sqeezed out under pressure. The entire mold is under pressure when it goes into the autoclave to be baked. (I may have messed the order up)

But the point is, this stuff can't be mass produced. The resulting hood can be stood on with NO BRACING underneath.

That is what you are paying for. That is what you are waiting for. You can flex a spoon and fi hood with the weight of your hand. But you can stand on the benen one.
Old 03-16-2002, 12:07 PM
New User

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (-Racer X-)

Hey Racer-X
Fiber Images has videos on their website of a guy jumping on their hood and then lifting it, no damage.

Then they drop a wheel with tire on it, from a small ladder, no damage again.

Lastly, they drive a honda accord (i think) over it, and then they lift it up, no damage again...

Everyone has talked about spoon and fiber images, but not a word about Fiber Images...they are pretty cheap, and while not the best quality at all, they haven o major short coming from what i can see. The edges of their CF hoods are cut not rounded like on spoon, but they don't ever break or peel from what i've seen..

So anyone have a FI cf lip?
Old 03-16-2002, 12:11 PM
New User

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (MaxBoost)

id say go fiber images.. benen stuff is SICK.. but customer service is important too me.. why the hell do companies even go into business if they dont wanna please there cutomers...
Old 03-16-2002, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (rolow)

If you want BENEN look for the user name BENENEK on this board he works
at landspeed racing in az and from what i understand thay have them in stock
at a very good price

http://www.landspeedracing.com
in stock?? dont think so cause ive ordered mine about 3-4 months ago and they are still not here (promised mid march)
Old 03-16-2002, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES (dxlst)

i have one spoon lip .almost brand new
$435 shipped
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=140524

[Modified by dxlst, 10:03 PM 3/16/2002]

Quick Reply: SPOON vs BENEN vs FIBER IMAGES