Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spoon Tranny

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Tranny

Wassup guys? Alright, a kid i know has a spoon tranny w/lsd, 4.9 final drive, but has a fucked up diff.

He said he'd take a gsr tranny straight up for his, now i'm thinking about it. Is it worth trading and then having to fix the diff. ?

All comments are welcome
Old 11-04-2003, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (nY's FiNeSt)

now is it positive that it's a spoon tranny?... and basically you'd want to install a new LSD.. which could cost $300 for a used OEM ITR or $800 for Quaife/cusco/kazz NEW... and if u had someone put that in it's ususally $250-300 for install... so basically you trade him
Your $700 tranny for his $1500 tranny-$600(since you have to replace the diff/install)
but who knows how messed up the tranny really is.. casing could be cracked.. and other thing..
Old 11-04-2003, 07:52 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (IM ALL BOB)

yeah, i'm positive it's a spoon tranny, or so my friend tells me.

Hmm, maybe i shouldn't trade. I just got this tranny rebuilt, all new synchros and 5th.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (IM ALL BOB)

I would be skeptical of it being a Spoon tranny for sure...
Old 11-05-2003, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (Ricey McRicerton)

bump
Old 11-05-2003, 06:36 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Keep yours.

Never heard of a "Spoon tranny." Spoon makes LSDs; he probably has a Spoon LSD in it.
Old 11-05-2003, 06:56 AM

just keep your tranny man
Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 PM

Default Re: (lsvtec hatch05)

Spoon tranny doesn't have a 4.9 FD

comes with tock 4.7 FD

Also if you know your Tranny I wouldn't risk it on an unfamiliar tranny that ALREADY has a problem to be fixed
Old 11-05-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep yours.

Never heard of a "Spoon tranny." Spoon makes LSDs; he probably has a Spoon LSD in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

They are 98 spec ITR trannies that have been "rebadged" as Spoon. Basically, they bought them in quanitity and sold them for less than the factory. I'm not sure if they opened them up to inspect the ish or what though..
Old 11-05-2003, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (Fowler)

solution,
keep your tranny,install a dif. and final drive
Old 11-05-2003, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spoon Tranny (jdm civic 2000)

chances are, if the differential is broken, his gears could be fucked because of pieces grinding into them.

I'd never buy a spoon transmission, I'd build my own.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (Nameless EJ6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">chances are, if the differential is broken, his gears could be fucked because of pieces grinding into them.

I'd never buy a spoon transmission, I'd build my own.</TD></TR></TABLE> spoon diffs are disc type right, so this is not a possibility. I don't know if spoon actually makes complete trannys but they do make gear sets. It is not far off for one to think spoon would sell a complete tranny from a retail store. I would tear the tranny apart, inspect everything and most likely trade, but I have a daily driver. Your car could be down for a little while as a result of this trade because you might miss something when you visually. inspect the tranny.
Old 11-05-2003, 01:39 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (jdm civic 2000)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jdm civic 2000 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">solution,
keep your tranny,install a dif. and final drive</TD></TR></TABLE>

smartest move

thanks guys
Old 11-05-2003, 01:55 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (PhucNguyen57)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PhucNguyen57 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> spoon diffs are disc type right, so this is not a possibility.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The spoon transmissions are STOCK 98 spec JDM ITR. They do not put their differential into them.

The differential you are speaking about is a mechanical driven differential that utilizes some clutch type disks. Those disks can break too...
Old 11-08-2003, 07:33 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nameless EJ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The spoon transmissions are STOCK 98 spec JDM ITR. They do not put their differential into them.

The differential you are speaking about is a mechanical driven differential that utilizes some clutch type disks. Those disks can break too...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Spoon Trannies are 98 Spec JDM ITR Trannies that they assemble. All clearances are tightened and checked and rechecked. All tolerences are tightened.

Spoon does not Put thier own Diff into the tranny UNLESS you order it that way. Keep in Mind a Spoon Diff runs about a grand and the tranny is about 1600 NO WAY IN HELL are they using thier Diff.
Also Spoon Doesn't have a 4.9 FD it is either Stock 4.785, or Spoon 4.643 or Spoon 4.857
Old 11-08-2003, 09:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Keep yours.

Never heard of a "Spoon tranny." Spoon makes LSDs; he probably has a Spoon LSD in it.</TD></TR></TABLE> doofus, keep that yapper shut if you dont know...
Old 11-08-2003, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

keep your tranny, its probably just a beat up b16 tranny.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (5thgenh4tch)

--IL4
Old 11-08-2003, 10:00 AM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (owen_the_soyboy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by owen_the_soyboy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> doofus, keep that yapper shut if you dont know... </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 11-08-2003, 10:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also when did he get this tranny, I thought that the Spoon transmissions were discontinued?
Old 11-08-2003, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (5thgenh4tch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 5thgenh4tch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Also when did he get this tranny, I thought that the Spoon transmissions were discontinued? </TD></TR></TABLE>
you can still get them from some shops or on ebay..but yea they are discontinued...
Old 11-08-2003, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (seven of 9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seven of 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Spoon Trannies are 98 Spec JDM ITR Trannies that they assemble. </TD></TR></TABLE>

That's what I said, excluding the 'assemble' part - because they don't just assemble them.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by seven of 9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All clearances are tightened and checked and rechecked. All tolerences are tightened.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Really? Google searches sure tell alot these days.

Tell me.. what tolerances do you really think they are tightening? By quoting me, I'm assuming you are trying to inform me on something?
Old 11-08-2003, 12:49 PM

Think about it, he's so eager to trade his Spoon tranny for a stock gsr tranny. Theres either somethin really wrong with it, or its just not a spoon tranny at all. If the repair on it is that minimal that it would only cost you the price of a new differential, why does he want to trade it and take a loss as opposed to just replacing the differential. Just seems weird. I'd keep your tranny bro, and build that up, that way you know exactly what your getting, and can put in it what you need.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:56 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (BucsJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BucsJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think about it, he's so eager to trade his Spoon tranny for a stock gsr tranny. Theres either somethin really wrong with it, or its just not a spoon tranny at all. If the repair on it is that minimal that it would only cost you the price of a new differential, why does he want to trade it and take a loss as opposed to just replacing the differential. Just seems weird. I'd keep your tranny bro, and build that up, that way you know exactly what your getting, and can put in it what you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

good point i would keep your GSR tranny!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Spoon Tranny (BucsJosh)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BucsJosh &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Think about it, he's so eager to trade his Spoon tranny for a stock gsr tranny. Theres either somethin really wrong with it, or its just not a spoon tranny at all. If the repair on it is that minimal that it would only cost you the price of a new differential, why does he want to trade it and take a loss as opposed to just replacing the differential. Just seems weird. I'd keep your tranny bro, and build that up, that way you know exactly what your getting, and can put in it what you need.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah i guess so. he also said that he's getting out of the game so, who knows. but yeah i'm going to keep mine

Quick Reply: Spoon Tranny