Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SPOON-SPORTS-Chip????????

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SPOON-SPORTS-Chip????????

I was wondering if the spoon sports chip is a good buy? Installig this 30 dollar ship claims to give me 10hp, an also increase my redline to 8200 rpms. Is that true? an if it is, is it safe? Sounds like a cheaper way to go with instead of the hondata if you just want your redline to increase. Thanks for all help

http://cgi.ebay.com/SPOON-SPOR...wItem
Old 09-03-2007, 07:55 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: SPOON-SPORTS-Chip???????? (EG_LS)

Your cheapest option would be Crome. it's a free, easy to use tuning program.

http://www.tunewithcrome.com/

Much better than that scam of a chip you found on ebay.

Does your car have modifications that require tuning? Or are you hoping there's a magic chip that will give you 12whp?
Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I was wondering if the spoon sports chip is a good buy?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">claims to give me 10hp</TD></TR></TABLE>

No.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">an also increase my redline to 8200 rpms.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but if you're running a stock engine that wasn't designed to spin that high, you'll quickly run into problems.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sounds like a cheaper way to go with instead of the hondata if you just want your redline to increase</TD></TR></TABLE>

Generally, if you've performed modifications that will allow you to run a higher redline, you will also benefit a great deal from actually tuning the setup properly. You don't need to spend money on a Hondata system in order to have a very tuneable ECU setup. Applications such as Crome or Uberdata are free, and will allow you to tune very well.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:00 AM

Default Re: SPOON-SPORTS-Chip???????? (ek forever guy)

these are my mods in my ls hatch:
cold air intake
headers
exhaust
six puck clutch
light flywheel
manifold
Old 09-03-2007, 08:06 AM

add ons dont increase internal reliability, u should ATLEAST put better valve retainers.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:09 AM

so what are the basic mods i need to have in order to be able to run my car to 8200 rpms?
Old 09-03-2007, 08:14 AM

valvetrain
Old 09-03-2007, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Without better mods, increasing your rpm won't do a whole lot for you but make a bunch of noise. With your set up now, I would have to guess that by the time you hit red line your hp and torque are peaked if not falling. Just a guess though.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SPOON-SPORTS-Chip???????? (4EN[sic])

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what are the basic mods i need to have in order to be able to run my car to 8200 rpms?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Fully build the engine.

You have an LS - which doesn't make power past 6.8k or so.

So you'll need to increase head flow, so you're talking bigger cams, all new valves, titanium valve springs and retainers, port and polished head w/ a 3 angle valve job, re machine the seats - might wanna bump up the compression too.

Then that's still not gonna help you b/c your block has to be able to take the added pressure as well - so you'll also need forged internals (connecting rods, pistons, bearings).

That should do you good to make power to 8200 RPM.

Is it worth it? No.

You can just use a chip and up the redline and rev it once there outta 1st or something, but A) Since it's not tuned you run a chance of running lean and blowing a rod, or B) You won't make any power up there due to lack of air flow.

PS:
What they don't tell you about the chip is you still have to get a socket and solder the socket into the ECU's main board and do the other **** needed to make an ECU chippable - then the chip just "plugs in" - it doesn't just "plug in" out of the factory. Stay away, save your money.

Modified by Syndacate at 1:03 PM 9/3/2007
Old 09-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG_LS &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so what are the basic mods i need to have in order to be able to run my car to 8200 rpms?</TD></TR></TABLE>

theres no reason to rev an LS to 8200 unless it was fully built and actually made power there, which it wont with an intake and header.