Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spoon Engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Engines

6 months ago i bought a 2000 Civic Si with what was said to be a spoon motor .. i have ecently had he motor out and the head on my b18c is spoon but from what i can tell the bottom end is stock .. does this mean the compression is not 12:1 andi can turbo ???
Old 01-29-2007, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Spoon Engines (Hondaspoon)

If the bottom end is stock, then the compression is not 12:1. And yes, you can boost it.
Old 01-29-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Spoon Engines (BlueIntegraBoy)

what do i look for to make sure it's stock andthen how much cani put to it if boosted
Old 01-29-2007, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it's hard to tell. Spoon blueprints their blocks, which means that all of the parts weigh nearly the same to maintain a good rotational balance. That means, the pistons are weigh the same to the nearest tenth of a gram or so and same with the other parts.

This makes it harder for you to authenticate this 'Spoon' engine. You need to weigh out everything.

Oh, Spoon uses a 2-ply metal headgasket.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well it's hard to tell. Spoon blueprints their blocks, which means that all of the parts weigh nearly the same to maintain a good rotational balance. That means, the pistons are weigh the same to the nearest tenth of a gram or so and same with the other parts.

This makes it harder for you to authenticate this 'Spoon' engine. You need to weigh out everything.

Oh, Spoon uses a 2-ply metal headgasket.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And even that's not 100% way to tell for sure.

Any real performance shop will weigh pistons out anyway.

Can't have pistons weighing different amounts.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Engines (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Can't have pistons weighing different amounts.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I know, otherwise your four banger with have a rumble of a V8.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlueIntegraBoy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yeah I know, otherwise your four banger with have a rumble of a V8. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ha .

Seriously though, all the shops I've been to (high end ones) that put **** together all weigh it out 'n **** anyways...then again these were all V8 builds.

Though I assume the premise has to remain sound even for 4 bangers.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Spoon Engines (Syndacate)

"is it just me or why hasnt ANY 1 TOLD HIM HE SHOULDNT BOOST A 12:1 motor?"
Old 01-29-2007, 07:59 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Spoon Engines (1999mrsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1999mrsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"is it just me or why hasnt ANY 1 TOLD HIM HE SHOULDNT BOOST A 12:1 motor?"</TD></TR></TABLE>

Is it just me or does this noob not realize that you can boost any CR motor? If you tune it, they will come.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Spoon Engines (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Is it just me or does this noob not realize that you can boost any CR motor? If you tune it, they will come.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i dont care if it was fully built boosting at 12:1=blown engine

yah im a newb but telling sum1 boosting at 12:1 is ok w/out giving warning doesnt seem very logical i dunno you do the math '

12:1=bound to blow
9:1=boung to go!
Old 01-29-2007, 08:10 PM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Spoon Engines (1999mrsi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1999mrsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i dont care if it was fully built boosting at 12:1=blown engine

yah im a newb but telling sum1 boosting at 12:1 is ok w/out giving warning doesnt seem very logical i dunno you do the math '

12:1=bound to blow
9:1=boung to go!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you need me to beat that *** or are you going to accept my word that you can boost anything you want as long as the tuning parameters are set by a professional who knows wtf they're doing?

Just say the word, kiddo
Old 01-29-2007, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why are you arguing about this.

the guy is asking because he doesn't want to boost it if its 12:1

wtf.
Old 01-29-2007, 09:07 PM

seriously just whoop his *** NOW, Make It Rain
Old 01-29-2007, 09:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (YoungKadafi)

easy

if its a stock b16 block you will see p30 on the pitons
if its a stock gsr block you will see p72 on the pistons
if its a stock itr you will see p73 on the pitons

anything else or you dont see any marks, just look at the dome of the piston and you can tell if its high compression or not. if its stock, then you are good to boost
Old 01-30-2007, 02:31 AM

boost 12.1 and youll blow your **** pretty quick my friend.When air gets compressed it becomes hotter and with compression that high the fuel just might ignite before it gets sparked so you loose hp and mess up the cycle.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:33 AM

edit:and spoon doesntt do turbos because their engines are very high comp well tuned NA's.Im sure they know what their doing so dont boost it.Check your compression and let us know.Well tell you if it can be boosted
Old 01-30-2007, 03:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Felliph3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boost 12.1 and youll blow your **** pretty quick my friend.When air gets compressed it becomes hotter and with compression that high the fuel just might ignite before it gets sparked so you loose hp and mess up the cycle.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Eh, not really true.

It's all due to compression, it has a direct correlation with temperature, temperature is a cause of the compression, it doesn't become hotter on its own.

12.1 will not blow if it's tuned properly. If it isn't, you'll have too many mis-fires for anything to blow.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Do you need me to beat that *** or are you going to accept my word that you can boost anything you want as long as the tuning parameters are set by a professional who knows wtf they're doing?

Just say the word, kiddo </TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, but with emphasis on a professional that knows wtf they're doing. That means NOT [Fred] and his friends with the missing links around the corner that helped ya tune a 8lb d-series, y'kno? .
Old 01-30-2007, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Felliph3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">boost 12.1 and youll blow your **** pretty quick my friend.When air gets compressed it becomes hotter and with compression that high the fuel just might ignite before it gets sparked so you loose hp and mess up the cycle.</TD></TR></TABLE>
it takes tuning and the right fuel! and anything is possible high compression or not
Old 01-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

12:1 cannot be turboed, more like 9:1 should work. You need new pistons
Old 01-30-2007, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Engines (Archidictus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Do you need me to beat that *** or are you going to accept my word that you can boost anything you want as long as the tuning parameters are set by a professional who knows wtf they're doing?

Just say the word, kiddo </TD></TR></TABLE>
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Eh, not really true.

It's all due to compression, it has a direct correlation with temperature, temperature is a cause of the compression, it doesn't become hotter on its own.

12.1 will not blow if it's tuned properly. If it isn't, you'll have too many mis-fires for anything to blow.

Yes, but with emphasis on a professional that knows wtf they're doing. That means NOT [Fred] and his friends with the missing links around the corner that helped ya tune a 8lb d-series, y'kno? .</TD></TR></TABLE>

Agreed, the question really shouldn't be can you boost in the 12.1 range (because yes you can boost if tuned properly) , but is it safe to boost in the 12.1 (no it's not and your asking for trouble)?
Old 01-30-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Too many people here read too much and not actually do it. Yes, you can boost a 12:1 cr motor, with the proper octane or race fuel and a good tune, it is possible and reliable. Now i wouldn't recomment it for daily driving, but it is possible.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM
Semper Fidelis

Default Re: (H9Omega)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12:1 cannot be turboed, more like 9:1 should work. You need new pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>
Really I would like to see proof that 12:1 can not be boosted. And not that your friend blew his motor because someone with 8:1 can blow their motor.
As long as it is tuned properly and running on high octane (race gas) you will be fine. Without race gas it gets dangerous for detonation.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SlammedDC2)

to all the people saying it's not a good idea boosting 12:1 cpr...

you are aware of the fact that an engine with 9.1 cpr pushing 12-14lbs isn't going to be faster than a 12.1 cpr engine running only 5-6lbs...the high compression motor will actually run the expletive away from lower compression motor while it's still trying to build it's 14psi of boost. it's all in the tune my friends.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DeadEnd9009 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">12:1 cannot be turboed, more like 9:1 should work. You need new pistons</TD></TR></TABLE>

You guys are aware that the K20A2 is 11 : 1 CR right? People are running street-tuned K-pros on 91 California octane all day at 10 pounds of boost and having a lot of fun without any hint of trouble.

I'm not sure where the rest of you are getting your information, but from someone who has built, turboed and tuned many motors, I can promise you that with the proper fuel trim and ignition tables you can safely turbocharge vehicles of any compression.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

pwned!

Quick Reply: Spoon Engines