Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe in a 96-00 Civic EX

Old 10-28-2003, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe in a 96-00 Civic EX

The Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe eliminates the resonance silencer found on 96-00 Civics. I have a couple of questions about this product.

http://www.aj-racing.com/spoon....html

1. According to the A&J Racing website, the description says that it is for the B16A. I checked the part numbers for the stock resonance silencer and the part number is the same for both the 99-00 Civic Si B16A2 and the 96-00 Civic EX D16Y8. I have seen several people on h-t put this part in their Si, but I have never seen one on an SOHC VTEC. By the looks of it, it seems like it would fit the Civic EX with a D16Y8. Does anybody know for sure whether or not it would fit my Civic EX?

2. I'm in CA and I'm pretty sure that this part doesn't come with a CARB number. Since this piece replaces only the resonator and not the entire intake, is it still technically legal in CA? It is much quieter than just about any cold air or short ram intake, so it should be legal, but technically, is it? Heck, Integras don't even have that resonator in their intake.

3. How much louder does the Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe make your engine compared to stock? I know that it is quieter than a regular cold air or short ram intake, but is the sound closer to stock sound or is it closer to AEM sound?

Yes, I know this part is expensive, and would appreciate it if you don't respond with comments like "don't waste you money" and such. From what I hear, a Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe and an aftermarket air filter will increase hp, torque, and throttle without the noise and loss in low end power an AEM or Injen would yield.
Old 10-28-2003, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe in a 96-00 Civic EX (EricUSC)

yes it is illegal in cali. the basis for llegalness (not sure if that a word but you get it) is not about noise its about smog and the cali government wanting more money. so they they make it neccasarry for modifided parts to have a carb number and that company has to go through a bunch of expensive testing.

now forget about all that, rule number one if they can't see or tell there a differance its not illegal, the only way for them to tell is by the looks and testing now im willing to bet that if ur motor passed imission with the stock airbox it will with this too, if you want to be really safe, get some black stuff and cover up the CK
Old 10-28-2003, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I liked mine, had it on a B16. The sound was slightly more noticeable than stock but nowhere as loud as an aem intake.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:10 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (Carlo)

If you painted it black they wouldn't be able to tell, but then you'd lose the bling bling of your spoon part. That thing is gay anyhow.
Old 10-28-2003, 02:15 PM

Default Re: (Archidictus)

that **** is dope i am gonna get one for my car. I am glad someone made this post because i was going too whenever i could remember to thanks Archidictus.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't you slit your ole plastic piece on one side and just fit over the CK piece? That way you can't tell at all without actually modifying the CK piece in any way.
Old 10-28-2003, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you painted it black they wouldn't be able to tell, but then you'd lose the bling bling of your spoon part. That thing is gay anyhow.</TD></TR></TABLE>

whys it gay?

btw you cannot slide the stock piece over the spoon part.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:28 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

whys it gay?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Because it costs $215 and you can get a quality CAI for that price: a bolton that will give much more of a gain than a (10 pounds per Spoon's website) smooth elbow made of bling bling carbon kevlar.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Because it costs $215 and you can get a quality CAI for that price: a bolton that will give much more of a gain than a (10 pounds per Spoon's website) smooth elbow made of bling bling carbon kevlar.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I paid 200$ for the elbow and the spoon ek filter, which is a lot less than what I paid for the aem cai I had prior to the spoon setup. Speaking from experience, I enjoyed the spoon setup a lot better than the aem cai setup. So I don't find it gay.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:15 PM
Unceasing Measure

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I paid 200$ for the elbow and the spoon ek filter, which is a lot less than what I paid for the aem cai I had prior to the spoon setup. Speaking from experience, I enjoyed the spoon setup a lot better than the aem cai setup. So I don't find it gay.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I highly doubt that a K&N filter and smooth resonator arm makes as much horsepower or torque as a cold air intake. If you can pull out a dyno to prove me wrong, I'll take back everything I've said. And AEM CAI's go for right around $200 brand new, at least where I live.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:20 PM

that intake arm is pretty blingin.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:23 PM

I am ready to rock to hell out of that ****.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. A waste of money until you prove it by a dyno.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I highly doubt that a K&N filter and smooth resonator arm makes as much horsepower or torque as a cold air intake. If you can pull out a dyno to prove me wrong, I'll take back everything I've said. And AEM CAI's go for right around $200 brand new, at least where I live.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I didn't use a K&N filter, it was a Spoon filter, but that doesn't matter. I didn't say it made more power, I said I enjoyed it more than the aem cai. The only difference I noticed between both setups was that the spoon setup provided better throttle response. Its my opinion though, I've had both and this is how I feel.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:44 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Default Re: (SOHC_MShue)

Waste of money. It's just a fricken elbow made by Spoon with a $215 pricetag.
Old 10-28-2003, 08:59 PM

Default Re: (GapxGuy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GapxGuy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Waste of money. It's just a fricken elbow made by Spoon with a $215 pricetag. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 10-28-2003, 09:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Yes, I know this part is expensive, and would appreciate it if you don't respond with comments like "don't waste you money" and such.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As stated in my original post, I would appreciate more constructive posts than "it's a waste of money." I know how much it costs and I don't need me to tell me that. I appreciate all of the constructive replies. I still don't have the answer to my first question:

1. According to the A&J Racing website, the description says that it is for the B16A. I checked the part numbers for the stock resonance silencer and the part number is the same for both the 99-00 Civic Si B16A2 and the 96-00 Civic EX D16Y8. I have seen several people on h-t put this part in their Si, but I have never seen one on an SOHC VTEC. By the looks of it, it seems like it would fit the Civic EX with a D16Y8. Does anybody know for sure whether or not it would fit my Civic EX?

Does anybody have the answer to this question? Thanks!
Old 10-28-2003, 10:26 PM
Sushi Buffet Champion

Don't take my word for it since it's such an expensive piece, but I've seen people use D16Y8 intake pipings for their B-series swap. And that's for the complete piping from the throttle down to the fender well, and this piece is only an elbow, so I'm assuming it'll work vice versa.
Old 10-29-2003, 02:26 AM

don't hate...appreciate...i mean it is his money...let him make the mistake if you guys feel it is a mistake...to my knowledge...the only reason spoon made this part is because when entering the N1 circuit they could not use a more modified intake...it had to be completely or almost stock...so they made this carbon fiber elbow which allows a bit more air flow...just use the stock air box, take out the resonator box and get a spoon filter or k&n rather than a stupid dumb little elbow part...

Spoon wastes their money to the consumer on the dumbest parts.

Andrew
Old 10-29-2003, 03:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It should fit no problem.
Old 10-29-2003, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being that you have a y8 then you probably need to squeeze out as much power as possible. So why not get a cheaper intake that makes more power?
Old 10-29-2003, 07:18 AM
Unceasing Measure

Default Re: Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe in a 96-00 Civic EX (SOHC_MShue)

I can give you a 100% guarantee that you can make it fit your setup. Happy? I will also give you a 100% guarantee that a cheaper AEM CAI will make more horsepower, more torque and not give you the label of "brand *****" like you're galantly earning now.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow how can everyone hate on something they've never even experienced? People saying "its just an elbow made by spoon", well what do you think the aem intake is? An elbow made by aem. The spoon intake is just like a Comptech Icebox, it just uses the stock airbox.

People who speak out of their ***

Eric if you want it, get it. I loved mine and to tell you the truth, an intake is an intake. No matter which one you get it won't make a big enough difference for you to justify buying one over the other. Get what you like.
Old 10-29-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did anybody ask you to contribute to their "I'm getting a bling-bling carbon kevlar piece for my car" fund?

if not, do us all a favor and keep it to yourself...
Old 10-29-2003, 08:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Carlo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Wow how can everyone hate on something they've never even experienced? People saying "its just an elbow made by spoon", well what do you think the aem intake is? An elbow made by aem. The spoon intake is just like a Comptech Icebox, it just uses the stock airbox.

People who speak out of their ***

Eric if you want it, get it. I loved mine and to tell you the truth, an intake is an intake. No matter which one you get it won't make a big enough difference for you to justify buying one over the other. Get what you like.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spoon Direct Air Flow Pipe in a 96-00 Civic EX