Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spoon coilovers anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon coilovers anyone?

Is anyone running spoon coilovers on here?

Likes/disklikes?

The cheapest I can find them is $899 on http://www.modacar.com
Only thing I dont like is you cant adjust the damper.

I was also thinking of getting Tein SS coilovers, there like $850 or so and are 16 way adjustable.

Anyone have opinions on either setup?
Old 04-15-2004, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (GAccord)

ttt
Old 04-15-2004, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you want to spend that much get the SSs for a daily driver. Don't waste the money on a non adjsutable damper because it says Spoon on it. If you want to track the car Koni Sports (or yellows) with Ground Control Coilovers would work best for a pretty comperable price.
Old 04-15-2004, 09:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (Ricey McRicerton)

Are u talking about these?

I don't think so right? Coz these are the super short stroked coilovers but cost wayyyyyyyy more than the fixed dampers.

I guess it says SHOWA instead of SPOON. SHOWA makes all kinds of dampers for Honda. They manufacture suspension parts for Mugen & SPOON to their own spec after all sorts of R&D on that certain Honda model.

Their setting is sooooo different compare with Koni yellow+whatever sport springs or ERS kit(GC kit). Koni is quite a bit rougher no matter on Civic/Integra. But Showa's are comfy but hold up really well when my friend go auto-x with his F-Superstock Acura 1.6EL sedan(he uses Kg/mm DR Racing springs with the SPOON shocks).

I think it's better to use TEIN RA/RS/RE coilovers instead of TEIN SS(or HA) to compare with SPOON coilover set.

Just my 0.02
Old 04-15-2004, 09:59 PM
Tad
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is anyone running spoon coilovers on here?

Likes/disklikes?

The cheapest I can find them is $899 on http://www.modacar.com
Only thing I dont like is you cant adjust the damper.

I was also thinking of getting Tein SS coilovers, there like $850 or so and are 16 way adjustable.

Anyone have opinions on either setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude those are just shocks and springs,
they aren't height adjustable OR damping adjustable,

they are not worth the money,
you'll basically be paying to say that you have spoon struts on your car

tein SS are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy y better imo
Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 PM
^R@m!r0_(M)

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (Tad)

What kind of Suspension are you looking for? will it be a track car or daily driven or maybe even both. . . All those things need to be taken into Consideration
Old 04-15-2004, 11:41 PM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (^R@m!r0_(M))

no hes talkin about the old as **** spoon dampers , cant adjust ride height or dampening.

the new spoon/showa dampers are sexual
Old 04-16-2004, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (92SIvic)

spoon is rice from japan
their apc if you like
they do nothing but get other manufacturers to make ish for them and sell it as their own. their engines are nothing but stock honda engines clearanced out to a "loose" spec and heck even their flywheel is just a nodified flywheel that they probably paid someone else to machine. the only think i can think of that spoon does for itself is race and sell stuff to unknowing customers.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (dirtyd463)

Ask user Chameleon, he had a set on his 5-lug EG
Old 04-16-2004, 10:01 AM

hey wasup GAccord. im on stlsr. is this suspension for your hatch or accord? i just ordered my tein ss for my 00 si. i will tell u how i like them.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:15 AM
In The Garage

dirtyd, you're a ****** idiot. nuff said
spoon doesn't make some of their products, because they use the #1 manufacturer for everything they produce, just to their specifications. SHOWA makes their new dampers because they make incredible quality stuff. I'd rather go with a company that did that than someone who tries to make everything 100% in house. they go with complete proven quality and performance instead of trying to start everything from scratch.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dirtyd463 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spoon is rice from japan
their apc if you like
</TD></TR></TABLE>

i wouldnt go quite that far to say something like that. They are clearly not the "apc of japan". Im not even gonna start with this. Thats just ignorance to say something like that.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:00 PM

compairing spoon to apc is like compairing your dumb *** to an educated person.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (SpooN Man)

check out some daiyama coilovers.......they are very good quality....and the price is very reasonable......i got a set myself....holding strong in the nyc streets....
i got the FFG.....dual height adjustable and damper adjustable
plus u shoose from a couple of different spring rates

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=833888

for sale
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=831095
Old 04-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Founding Member

Originally Posted by dirtyd463
spoon is rice from japan
their apc if you like
they do nothing but get other manufacturers to make ish for them and sell it as their own. their engines are nothing but stock honda engines clearanced out to a "loose" spec and heck even their flywheel is just a nodified flywheel that they probably paid someone else to machine. the only think i can think of that spoon does for itself is race and sell stuff to unknowing customers.
1) SOME of Spoons Parts are outsourced to other Major Manufacturing plants, Anyone who knows about manufacturing knows that this is a normal way of business for the majority of companies out there in any industry. It is cheaper to have a company that makes Part X every day to make your part than for you to buy the machinery and make it yourself. This doesn't mean that Spoon Doesn't design the part it just means that Another company makes the part Spoon Designed for Spoon.
This is VERY common among some of the highest well respected Japanese Engines Tuners Including ATS, J's Racing, Phase, Speed, M&M Honda, As well as some Top Companies like JUN, STI, Mugen, Nismo, Greddy, and more. Just to let you know JUN, STI and Mugen have the same manufacturer build their exhausts (M-Bit) and a Bunch of Companies like Greddy have Omori produce their Gauges (Omori also make Gauges for Military and different automotive companies) ATS and a bunch of other Japanese companies outsource their LSD manufacturing to the same plant, which is why you will notice alot of them look the same (Although they are not as each company has their own specs on their LSD and they are made accordingly)
An Example of a Part Spoon has another company manufacture would be the Spoon Monoblock and Twinblock Calipers. Spoon Designed their First Twinblock Calipers for the DC2R and Ek9 back in 95-96 by testing on the race track and changing as they tested, when they finally got the results they wanted they had Nissin (A subsidary of Honda) produce the Calipers for them under license. This is the same with plenty of other parts, Spoon found what works best on the race track in The Series THEY Race in (Super Taikyu N1) and they tes and tune the part and finally have a manufacturer mass produce it for them.
Some parts are used between companies but was also designed between a few of them, for Example Spoon and Vision Strut Tower Bars, Same way that Cusco and Mr Alex have similar strut bars.

2) As far as their Engines They build those engines as Replacement Crate Engines, NOT Race Engines. If you were a professional Race Team like C West and you had Spoon build you an engine it would have all the bells and whistles and whatever is allowed in your Race Series, Spoon doesn't sell their Race engines to the public. What Spoon does do is Take a JDM Spec ITR Engine, rip it down and Blueprint and Blanace the complete engine, for the same price or even less than what you would pay for a USDM Longblock or JDM Longblock. Depending on Exchange Rate a Spoon Longblock goes for anywhere from 5400-6000 where as last time I priced out a USDM Longblock it was about 7-8000 (And your getting more with the Spoon Longblock.

3) Some parts Spoon makes are simply Modified OEM parts. For example their Throttle Bodies, All they do is Taper the TB out to 70mm from 62mm. No opening up the butterfly to 64-65mm, no CNC'd TB etc etc. WHY? Because in the N1 Series Tapering the TB from its stock 62-70mm is All that is allowed for modification to the TB. Same reason why Spoon doesn't sell an Air Intake kit, For DC2 they just have a drop in filter, for EK9 just the filter and a CF elbow which circumvents using a chambered part of the Airbox, for the S2000 just a Filter and Longer Air Scoop into the OEM Airbox. All because it is the most they are allowed for Mods in their Racing Class. They Sell the parts that They race with.

Not many other companies out there can say that they Design the parts they use on their race cars or say that They Tested their parts they make on the track to make them the best they could.

Class is over, time for recess.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Founding Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GAccord &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only thing I dont like is you cant adjust the damper.

Anyone have opinions on either setup?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not a Big fan of the Lower Level Tein Suspsensions, I used to sell them and have always heard of people having quality issues with them over time. If you truly need something with Adjustable Dampening I would look into something like the Zeal B2's

The Spoon Street Dampners are a nice piece, Built by Showa for Spoon to Spoon Specs, Similar to Mugen's Sport Suspension for the EK, DC5, and EP3. Both of those systems are Set dampnening and Height but are designed specifically for the car in question and are maximized for that model. I have plenty of customer with either system who have thoroughly enjoyed the setup and have had no need to adjust the dampening. One Customer had a GC/Koni Setup and Swapped it for the Mugen Sport suspension and said it was 10x better on the street and track.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon coilovers anyone? (Mike M)

werd to f*ckin Big Bird.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:57 PM

Matched spring/shcok combos are very tough to beat. Might not be stiff enough for the track, but autoX needs a bit of weight transfer to toss the car around. Go for it!
Old 04-16-2004, 01:36 PM

looks tight
Old 04-16-2004, 01:55 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

One Customer had a GC/Koni Setup and Swapped it for the Mugen Sport suspension and said it was 10x better on the street and track. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Matched components
Old 04-16-2004, 05:15 PM

Hey yungfab, yea this for the hatch.

I forgot to mention that this suspension setup needs to be ideal for a h22 swaped eg. I'd rather not go spring/strut combo, cost almost as much as true coilovers. I have h&R sport/koni yellow setup on my accord and it cost about $700. I'd rather go the little bit extra and get coilovers.

I guess I'm leaning toward the SS teins then.
Old 04-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey all i was doing was just stating that spoon is not an actual manufacturer
they are the main contractor of car parts, they get sub contractors to do their dirty work

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mike M &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Daniel that is the stupidest thing I have ever heard someone say, especially from you since you have been to Spoon in Japan.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

sorry man you are confusing me with daniel wilson

i didn't mean to come off as a tard but it is just how i feel about spoon
they don't actually manufacture their own stuff

to me it is just easier and not to mention cheaper in most cases to just go and buy the stuff made by the company that spoon contract out to make it.
like the showa suspension. you can get the same if not even better than the spoon version for less.

i am just tired of hearing people regard Spoon as one of the greatest manufacturers of all times when in fact they make almost nothing for themselves

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SpooN Man &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">comparing spoon to apc is like comparing your dumb *** to an educated person. </TD></TR></TABLE>
and to you sir,
i am in no way unintelligent, i was just implying my opinion of spoon
it is called freedom of speech

all i am saying is buy what is good stuff to you not what is good for Mr. Spoon or whatever his name is. Nobody on H-T has a Spoon race car specifically designed to work in conjunction with every component they use. To me it is just a waste of money

but hey, like i said before, everyone is entitled to their own opinion
Old 04-16-2004, 09:52 PM
I said I don't want a title!

Nobody on H-T has a Spoon race car specifically designed to work in conjunction with every component they use.

Ummm, I know of a person on Honda-tech who does have a Spoon Race car.

Also, a lot of other JDM and USDM top-notch manufactures use other companies to make their products. Are all of them APC-like too? Mugen uses Showa dampers. They must be APC too.
Old 04-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Founding Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dirtyd463 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hey all i was doing was just stating that spoon is not an actual manufacturer
</TD></TR></TABLE>

More than 50% of the High end Companies out there do not Manufacture their own parts, they source out the manufacturing to companies that specialize in making Part X, Its smart business for MANY reasons. Wether Spoon makes a part or a Good Manufacturer builds the part for Spoon to Spoon's Spec what does it matter to you? Does it matter if The machine that makes the part is in Spoon's building or Down the street? I Really think you should look into how the majority of businesses outsource their manufacturing and look back at my original thread and read it in detail.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
sorry man you are confusing me with daniel wilson
</TD></TR></TABLE>
My Bad.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
to me it is just easier and not to mention cheaper in most cases to just go and buy the stuff made by the company that spoon contract out to make it.
like the showa suspension. you can get the same if not even better than the spoon version for less.

i am just tired of hearing people regard Spoon as one of the greatest manufacturers of all times when in fact they make almost nothing for themselves
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Showa DOES NOT make aftermarket suspensions for sale, They DO Manufacture suspensions to the Specs of Mugen, of Spoon etc. Each being DIFFERENT. Different Valving, spring rates, dampning etc.

It doesn't matter wether someone makes the part in house or if the outsorce it as long as it is built to THEIR Quality and THEIR Specs.

i was just implying my opinion of spoon
it is called freedom of speech
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Not so much an Opinion but more of misinformation and accusations.

Example: You say Spoons Flywheel is just a modified flywheel which is completely false since it is a Chromoly Flywheel designed by Spoon. Only time it was modified was when they "Modified" the Chunk of Chromoly into a flywheel.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i know that soucing is smart business
i am just saying that spoon is not a manufacturer but a business that specializes in racing and selling quality parts.

everyone here has misunderstood what i have been saying
i am not saying that spoon is crap but that they are over rated, they are a mere business trying to make a buck, and have a renound race team on the side.
Spoon has just become such a regarded company that the actual manufacturers of the parts they sell are overlooked.

i used the APC as a euphemism to describe how common and "well known" (yes that was redundant)they have become. It is like someone wanting a Spoon engine thinking it is a bada$$ engine that is built for racing, which it isn't, you even said so yourself. Spoon builds STOCK engines to their spec. The engines are essentially stock except for there tolerances.

Quick Reply: Spoon coilovers anyone?