Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spoon B16B engine questions

Old 01-23-2005, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoon B16B engine questions

Are there varying levels of modifications for Spoon crated motors (ie stage1, stage2, and so on)? Secondly, why the heck are they so expensive? Inlinefour.com is selling the Spoon B16B for $6,125; regardless of its N/A performance that price seems preposterous to me.
Old 01-23-2005, 11:30 PM

All the parts are balanced on the engine and the block is blue printed. Basically, a technician rips apart the block and makes everything weight withing like .1g of eachother. I think theres only 1 level of modfication. It should run really nicely though.
Old 01-24-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: (jeffk182)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jeffk182 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">All the parts are balanced on the engine and the block is blue printed. Basically, a technician rips apart the block and makes everything weight withing like .1g of eachother. I think theres only 1 level of modfication. It should run really nicely though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

but does that justify the price? have you ever heard of anyone paying that much for a Spoon engine, or for that matter, have u ever heard of anyone buying a Spoon engine?
Old 01-24-2005, 12:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (SlowEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

but does that justify the price? have you ever heard of anyone paying that much for a Spoon engine, or for that matter, have u ever heard of anyone buying a Spoon engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't know anyone personally, but I know people have bought Spoon crate motors.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BlueIntegraBoy)

your a weenie if you buy a spoon b16b crate motor...you can buy something better than that with that amount of money... like a 200 whp 1.8

spoon sucks ****
Old 01-24-2005, 02:59 AM

Default Re: (myke)

.. Spoon sucks? Then why does just about everyone dream about sporting Spoon products? Why do they have such an elite reputation? for you.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:49 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Spoon B16B engine questions (SlowEM1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are there varying levels of modifications for Spoon crated motors (ie stage1, stage2, and so on)? Secondly, why the heck are they so expensive? Inlinefour.com is selling the Spoon B16B for $6,125; regardless of its N/A performance that price seems preposterous to me.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Well then I guess you don't understand the point of it. $6,125 actually is not a bad deal for a brand new B16B longblock that has been completely torn down, precision balanced, and blueprinted.

"NA performance?" Spoon crate engines won't make any more power than a stock engine. Spoon does endurance racing, and that's what these engines are built for.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
but does that justify the price? have you ever heard of anyone paying that much for a Spoon engine, or for that matter, have u ever heard of anyone buying a Spoon engine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Does it justify the price? Umm, why don't you buy a brand new longblock from Honda and have it balanced and blueprinted, then come back and tell us how much you spent . . .

You're talking as if they're charging one hundred billion dollars for them or something.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by myke &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your a weenie if you buy a spoon b16b crate motor...you can buy something better than that with that amount of money... like a 200 whp 1.8</TD></TR></TABLE>
Apparently you don't understand the purpose of it either.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spoon sucks **** </TD></TR></TABLE>
Oh? Hmm, then I wonder how they keep winning their races . . .
Old 01-24-2005, 04:44 AM

it's brand new B16B ! not B16A

it's a TYPE RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Old 01-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spoon B16B engine questions (Targa250R)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Targa250R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Oh? Hmm, then I wonder how they keep winning their races . . . </TD></TR></TABLE>

And that right there is the difference. They're for high rev, endurance road racing. Not being the fastest thing in a straight line.

Is a 6k motor overpriced for a 10k car? I think so. Would I ever buy one? Hell no. Do I think Spoon stuff is overpriced? Yes.

I still would never spend that much on a destroked B18C5.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:58 AM

Default Re: Spoon B16B engine questions (Ricey McRicerton)

so if these engines are designed for endurance racing, then does that translate into a longer lasting engine with greater capability of high mileage for daily driving?
Old 01-24-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so if these engines are designed for endurance racing, then does that translate into a longer lasting engine with greater capability of high mileage for daily driving?</TD></TR></TABLE>

IMHO, no. I would never buy one just to daily drive.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spoon B16B engine questions (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">IMHO, no. I would never buy one just to daily drive.</TD></TR></TABLE>

right. race engines aren't designed to last that long. they're often torn apart and rebuilt after a few thousand miles or even after every race.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Spoon B16B engine questions (dantastic)

that just doesnt make sense to me. if these engines are designed to be withing .1g specs of each other, are designed to be redlined like no other on a consistent basis, and everything is sealed up perfect then i dont see a reason for them to not operate on a more extended basis. any aspects im missing out on here?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:08 AM

Spoon engine are built for N1 spec, the purpose of it is to lighten the components and make the engine run smoother for a long period of intensive high reving stage.

But it is not to say you can't buy this engine and daily drive it, if you want it, then get it. If it is too expensive, then don't buy one. But let's not bash it for its price. I think LV bags are hella overpriced, but I don't say that to every woman on the street.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:09 AM

i can get one for nearly half the price of inlinefour's listing, which is why im asking all these questions.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:20 AM

Brand new? Then go for it.

Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Nova_Dust)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nova_Dust &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Brand new? Then go for it.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. I don't know much of anything about them, but if they're built with lumpy cams and such they can be hell on valvetrains and cause them to wear out prematurely.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:42 AM

Maybe he has some connection that can get one at cost? :shrugs:

Old 01-24-2005, 08:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i know 3 people who have them

is it worth it?? don't know....

Old 01-24-2005, 01:09 PM

Default Re: (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Nova_Dust &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Maybe he has some connection that can get one at cost? :shrugs:

</TD></TR></TABLE>

right on the money. i want to purchase the engine only if its going to live the natural life-span of its OEM siblings.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:19 PM

I think a $6,000 spoon with 200whp would be sweet... I bet I could eat a lot of ramen noodles with that.
Old 01-24-2005, 01:36 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlowEM1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">right on the money. i want to purchase the engine only if its going to live the natural life-span of its OEM siblings.</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you can get it at cost, then honestly, go for it. No new engine will cost that low whatsoever, it is gonna be frigging impossible. You are getting one helluva deal.

Or buy it, and sell it with a 20% profit.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ccivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ccivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">.. Spoon sucks? Then why does just about everyone dream about sporting Spoon products? Why do they have such an elite reputation? for you.</TD></TR></TABLE>

il tell you why all you guys want spoon **** cuz all you guys are biters...you guys are all into the gay-dm scene..thanks fo ruining it my car had all the jdm crap on it like 5 years ago and i got tired of biters so i sold it all haha so you suck

**** spoon **** mugen
**** all that overpriced japanese **** that doesnt make power

Modified by myke at 7:07 PM 1/24/2005
Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: (myke)

that GX20 has some pretty nice power 270 at the crank. But from what i hear it is insanely overpriced. But it also comes with a warranty, and it's a dart block.
Old 01-24-2005, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know that there engines are balanced to within 1 gram. But wouldnt it be really easy to **** that up. If you just replace the crank you'v screwed it up right?.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Spoon B16B engine questions