Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spend an additional $1000 just for AC and Dual airbags?

Old 05-18-2009, 10:52 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spend an additional $1000 just for AC and Dual airbags?

I want a white Honda Civic LX sedan from the '92-'95 series. I really would rather have a '94 or '95 Civic, the only problem is, these cars on KBB and therefore on craigslist are listing at prices of $2300-$3000, for an Econobox no less! However the '92-'93 models can be had for $1000 less, the difference being the '92-'93 don't have dual airbags and have R12 airconditioning. Is R134a airconditioning and Dual airbags really worth the additional $1000?

When looking into the passenger airbag, I found it strange that the car gets a four star rating for the passenger in the '92-'93 Civics but 3 star in the '94-'95 civics! With the driver in the '92-'95 Civics getting a consistent 3 star rating. With a worse HIC rating for the passenger in the '92-'93 Civic, he driver consistently gets a three star rating from '92-'95.

Definitions: D=Driver P=Passenger, HIC=Head Injury Criteron (How much head damage), Chest compression: How many G forces
Here is the format:
Model:D Star rating | P Star Rating, D HIC | P HIC, D Chest | P Chest
Honda Civic
92-93, 2-dr: Three Star | Four Star, 803 | 770, 52 | 51
92-93 4-dr DX: Three Star | Four Star, 744 | 903, 54 | 43
94-95 2-dr: Three Star | Four Star, 803 | 770, 52 | 51
94-95 4-dr: Three Star | Three Star, 867 | 684, 61 | 57

So with these scores in mind, it almost seems as if the airbag does a lot more harm to the 55th percentile male than helps, that the airbag would really only help someone who is much larger and also further away from the airbag. This almost seems to justify not needing the passenger side airbag, but I'm wondering if I could handle the fact that someone could *potentially* be saved by the nonexistent airbag in my '92-'93 Civic.

This thread I'm sure seems kind of gay and useless but I would nonetheless appreciate your input and feedback relating to this dilemma.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 PM
I love to drive

Default Re: Spend an additional $1000 just for AC and Dual airbags?

LOL, if I were so concerned about safety, I wouldn't consider a Civic. The only thing I know about AC is that if the ad says "ice-cold AC" then it works, if it only says "AC" then it might work for now but there's probably a leak and will have to be refilled.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

not to mention its close to impossible to find a eg with less than 100k meaning in dealer terms the car is worthless. i wouldent worry about what year but more about what condition its in .. is this a joke ? not trying to affend you
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

dude you can find a swapped eg for $3000.
just wait for the right opportunity

shet I got a homie selling a 2000 hatch with a y8 swap (technically it's a swap) for $2400 it's clean as they come except for the primer black outside
and it comes with dual airbags,R134a, the works

and your from the bay area? AKA hondaland? just wait for the opportunity
Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by fastrxu
dude you can find a swapped eg for $3000.
just wait for the right opportunity

shet I got a homie selling a 2000 hatch with a y8 swap (technically it's a swap) for $2400 it's clean as they come except for the primer black outside
and it comes with dual airbags,R134a, the works

and your from the bay area? AKA hondaland? just wait for the opportunity
Los Angeles has FARRR more Civics at much more reasonable prices. Also I don't want a swapped Civic unless it has a D15Z1 engine with a VX/CX transmission.
Old 05-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by imzjustplayin
Is R134a airconditioning and Dual airbags really worth the additional $1000?
In terms of the airbag definately not, but the A/C, thats not quite so cut and dry, if the R12 works fine then no, otherwise you'll probably end up swapping in an R134a A/C setup (which isn't that hard and should cost that much used) If it was me i'd bank the $1000 and spend what I needed to get swap R134a A/C if the A/C was bad (wont be anywhere near $1000)

Originally Posted by imzjustplayin
So with these scores in mind, it almost seems as if the airbag does a lot more harm to the 55th percentile male than helps, that the airbag would really only help someone who is much larger and also further away from the airbag. This almost seems to justify not needing the passenger side airbag, but I'm wondering if I could handle the fact that someone could *potentially* be saved by the nonexistent airbag in my '92-'93 Civic.
I've seen airbag studies before, from what I got out of it more often then not the airbags cause more harm then good. My own civic doesn't have any and I can't say i've ever been worried about it (airbags weren't mandatory at the time in Canada so most '92 - '95 civics don't have them)
Old 05-19-2009, 03:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by 94EG8
In terms of the airbag definately not, but the A/C, thats not quite so cut and dry, if the R12 works fine then no, otherwise you'll probably end up swapping in an R134a A/C setup (which isn't that hard and should cost that much used) If it was me i'd bank the $1000 and spend what I needed to get swap R134a A/C if the A/C was bad (wont be anywhere near $1000)

I've seen airbag studies before, from what I got out of it more often then not the airbags cause more harm then good. My own civic doesn't have any and I can't say i've ever been worried about it (airbags weren't mandatory at the time in Canada so most '92 - '95 civics don't have them)
Well the older non depowered airbags, I can agree with you as the stats I posted above would seem to indicate there is a negative benefit to the airbags. However, these tests are conducted on a 50th percentile male, which would be very close to the steering wheel/dashboard. My thinking is that with a 95th percentile male such as myself, airbags would probably be more of a help than not, not to mention the fact that I'd be sitting further away, lessening the potential harm it would cause me.
Old 05-20-2009, 06:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What I'm saying is If I can get a ek hatch with a/c and airbags, plus a bunch of mods for $2000 in las vegas; you should have deals like this all the time in Cali

I think you're missing the point if you feel like $3000 for a 14 year old stock engine civic is good then go for it
Old 05-20-2009, 08:48 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Originally Posted by fastrxu
What I'm saying is If I can get a ek hatch with a/c and airbags, plus a bunch of mods for $2000 in las vegas; you should have deals like this all the time in Cali

I think you're missing the point if you feel like $3000 for a 14 year old stock engine civic is good then go for it
Well I'm just having a really hard time finding any non salvage, white Civic LX sedan for a reasonable price. I'm so frustrated because there WAS a time where I could get one for like $1800 and that was back in Dec when price of gas collapsed.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you really know what you want and I respect that. a lot of people don't have their choices narrowed down like that

good luck on your search
Old 05-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

AC is worth is while in traffic. i only wish my car has AC but then theres one more pump on an already slow z6 engine. But o well i'll get to open my sunroof and windows.
this gen was problaly the first years that airbags came out, so in fact less engineering and failures more dangers. if your that worried about the airbags you can always disconnect them.

I'd say just wait around and look for a more descent car, get a newspaper, buy-and-sell catolugue , use autohunteronline.com ? i remember seeing an ad once and looked through it.