Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer and odometer not working

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer and odometer not working

So I have decided to start a new topic. My speedometer and odometer are not working. When I put the key to the on position the speedometer needle rises up to about 20mph. When I turn the car on the needle does not move from the 20mph position. I had the cel light come on with code 17, vss. I changed the vss but the only change is that the cel light has not come back on. The cluster has not changed. I am running out of things to do. When I unplug the vss and turn the car on the speedometer needle still goes up to 20mph. Please help! This is my daily driver and it is annoying not being able to know how fast im going. I have been told that it could be the cluster, is not the cluster since the odometer is not turning. Im lost
Old 07-08-2011, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedometer and odometer not working

same thing happening to me
Old 07-08-2011, 06:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check all your wiring, you could possibly have a short, check all connections make sure pins are seated correctly. Have you tried swapping out the cluster? Possible to borrow a friends for troubleshooting purposes?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/showpo...27&postcount=7

You need to take advice given to you. Get a multimeter and start testing the wires.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:40 AM
20% cooler

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you go digging in there and ripping **** out, I would check your wheel speed sensors. Obviously the module is getting power and enough of it to move the gauges so mechanically it should be fine. It sounds like it is more of a problem of input.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I checked the wires with multimeter. Everything seems to be working according to checking voltage and continuity with body.
In reguards to the wheel speed sensor, where is that located? I have a 2000 si if you need that info.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jumpin4abeat
I checked the wires with multimeter.
Post the readings and also mention the wires you tested. Did you test any wires for a short?
Old 07-08-2011, 06:53 AM
20% cooler

http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/v...os/4431520.gif

It is #9. It's the only wire you will see hanging off the brake assembly.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thenext
http://www.dealerdirectparts.com/v/v...os/4431520.gif

It is #9. It's the only wire you will see hanging off the brake assembly.
This OP's problem has to do with the speedometer/VSS circuit not the ABS system.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not good with electric. I can just basically use the multi for continuity and i can flip it to voltage and get a reading. I tested the harness wires, yellow/blk, blk and i forget the other one. Im not near the car currently or i could list the readings. Would the odometer not work though if it was the vss thats why I think it is something else going on. I was told that the odometer and speedometer are not related
Old 07-08-2011, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

#9? I dont understand number for a wire.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I am not good with electric. I can just basically use the multi for continuity and i can flip it to voltage and get a reading. I tested the harness wires, yellow/blk, blk and i forget the other one. Im not near the car currently or i could list the readings. Would the odometer not work though if it was the vss thats why I think it is something else going on. I was told that the odometer and speedometer are not related
In general, a bad speedometer would not throw code 17, unless it has a short.

Carefully describe how you did each wire test and what readings were obtained.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 AM
20% cooler

You can check for voltage and continuity all day and look over tons of problems. Gotta know what you are testing. Try looking at some diagnostic charts if you are going to test.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

#9? I dont understand number for a wire.
The poster is confusing the VSS with ABS sensors.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I will post exactly what I did and what the results were when I return home. I do have a dumb question because I remember I got a reading of 10 something on the middle harness wire for voltage. If I am remembering correctly, can I splice a direct line into the vss from the battery to obtain proper voltage or will hat not work?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I will post exactly what I did and what the results were when I return home. I do have a dumb question because I remember I got a reading of 10 something on the middle harness wire for voltage. If I am remembering correctly, can I splice a direct line into the vss from the battery to obtain proper voltage or will hat not work?
Don't splice anything until you have retested the wires and described the tests.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok so I just tested the wires. I dunno if I did it correctly but I think I did. So there are 3 wires on the harness, black, black&Yellow, and blue &white. For the continuity test I took one lead to the harness and the other to the negative battery terminal. I had continuity on the black&yellow one of .008 and on the black of .008 as well. The black wire did not have any continuity. This is all done with the car off. As for the voltage I did the same way except instead of going to the negative battery terminal I used the positive. On the black wire I got 12.8, on the black&yellow I got 12.78 and on the blue&white I got .8.

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Don't splice anything until you have retested the wires and described the tests.

Last edited by jumpin4abeat; 07-12-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had the Speedometer indicating 20mph and Odometer not working problem, half the time. The other half it worked perfectly. Mine is a 1998 Civic EX. My problem was a broken solder connection (often called a "cold solder joint") on IC1 pin 10. My circuit board is the one pictured by REVOAPPAREL in this thread on 8-15-2012. This pin is one of the epoxy (or glued) pins. I used the soldering iron to remove this epoxy from the pin before re-soldering it. (The heat kind of crumples the epoxy so it can be scraped off with the iron tip.) The Vehicle Speed Sensor signal comes into IC1 on this pin, but also on IC1 pin 12, and IC2 pins 10 and 15. __ I found which solder connection was broken in the following manner: Removed the circuit board from the speedometer/odometer mechanism (it pulls right off.) Attached a 12 volt power supply to IGN and GND. Used a voltmeter to read COS & SIN voltages. These 2 voltages tell the speedometer needle where to point. (RED voltmeter lead on COS+ and BLACK voltmeter lead on COS-.) (Don't look at the voltages with respect to GND. The speedometer doesn't see that.) When the circuit board was working correctly, the COS voltage was 5.04 and the SIN voltage was 0.26. These are logic levels ONE and ZERO. (If you remember your Trigonometry, the COS of zero is ONE and the SIN of zero is ZERO. Zero is the vehicle speed.) When the circuit board wasn't working correctly (this is when the needle would indicate 20mph IF it was attached) COS voltage was 2.47 and SIN voltage was 1.80. When I read these WRONG voltages, I started touching things and when I pushed on IC1 the voltages became correct for a moment. Then I used a probe to push against each IC1 pin individually and found pin 10 was the pin not making contact. __ A person should be able to use this technique to find a bad solder joint anywhere on the board causing incorrect speedometer readings when the vehicle is sitting still. ___ I also traced out the entire circuit board and drew a schematic. If I figure out how to post a scanned pdf of this, I'll attach it. ___This is my first post to any automotive thread. I sincerely hope this helps many of you out with your speedometer indicating 20mph problems! Enjoy Troubleshooting! ((Toolman1966 _ APRIL 14, 2013))
Old 04-15-2013, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

definately check the wire harness which runs under your intake and above the intake to block bracket..vss wires run through there.as a matter of fact if the loom is touching that intake to block bracket,over time could have widdled away the wire housing causing a short. it happened to me and thats where my problem was. two exposed wires which i just taped up and presto..please check that area and let us know.
Old 04-15-2017, 01:02 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by TOOLMAN1966
I had the Speedometer indicating 20mph and Odometer not working problem, half the time. The other half it worked perfectly. Mine is a 1998 Civic EX. My problem was a broken solder connection (often called a "cold solder joint") on IC1 pin 10. My circuit board is the one pictured by REVOAPPAREL in this thread on 8-15-2012. This pin is one of the epoxy (or glued) pins. I used the soldering iron to remove this epoxy from the pin before re-soldering it. (The heat kind of crumples the epoxy so it can be scraped off with the iron tip.) The Vehicle Speed Sensor signal comes into IC1 on this pin, but also on IC1 pin 12, and IC2 pins 10 and 15. __ I found which solder connection was broken in the following manner: Removed the circuit board from the speedometer/odometer mechanism (it pulls right off.) Attached a 12 volt power supply to IGN and GND. Used a voltmeter to read COS & SIN voltages. These 2 voltages tell the speedometer needle where to point. (RED voltmeter lead on COS+ and BLACK voltmeter lead on COS-.) (Don't look at the voltages with respect to GND. The speedometer doesn't see that.) When the circuit board was working correctly, the COS voltage was 5.04 and the SIN voltage was 0.26. These are logic levels ONE and ZERO. (If you remember your Trigonometry, the COS of zero is ONE and the SIN of zero is ZERO. Zero is the vehicle speed.) When the circuit board wasn't working correctly (this is when the needle would indicate 20mph IF it was attached) COS voltage was 2.47 and SIN voltage was 1.80. When I read these WRONG voltages, I started touching things and when I pushed on IC1 the voltages became correct for a moment. Then I used a probe to push against each IC1 pin individually and found pin 10 was the pin not making contact. __ A person should be able to use this technique to find a bad solder joint anywhere on the board causing incorrect speedometer readings when the vehicle is sitting still. ___ I also traced out the entire circuit board and drew a schematic. If I figure out how to post a scanned pdf of this, I'll attach it. ___This is my first post to any automotive thread. I sincerely hope this helps many of you out with your speedometer indicating 20mph problems! Enjoy Troubleshooting! ((Toolman1966 _ APRIL 14, 2013))
​​​​​​​1995 accord coupe 4 cylinder manual 250k on the clock.
this^ is priceless info! Thanks to tool man 1966 and other posters! ☺ I was chasing the 19mph speedo issue. Started with vss... no fix. Took apart cluster couldn't see problem at pin 10... got out multi meter and as tool man said got the funny readings. Bent pin 10 closer to the board and got correct voltages! Added a little heat from soldering iron to reflow and was able to see the solder reppol on the board! Thanks guys! Just created account to say tanks! More of a BMW guy, but glad to find a Honda forum with useful knowledge! Kudos &cheers!

Last edited by geesus; 04-15-2017 at 01:04 AM. Reason: clarify car and mileage...