Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer/odometer don't work for first ten minutes, then begin working...

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004, 04:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer/odometer don't work for first ten minutes, then begin working...

This is a 94 Civic DX 4-door with about 116,000 miles on it.

Basically, what happens is I'll start up the car fine and begin driving and the speedometer sits at 0 and the odometer doesn't change at all (Neither the one for all the miles on the car nor the one that you can reset manually).

But then, at some random point on my trip (usually after about ten minutes), the speedometer starts jerking around and fluctuating wildly and then eventually settles at the proper speed, and finally begins functioning normally. When the speedometer begins working again, so does the odometer (and the manual-reset odometer too).

There are some times when I get in the car and start driving and both are working fine. But most of the time, it doesn't work for about ten minutes and then studdenly begins working.

I've searched through here and heard many different things: VSS, change fuses, corrosion, etc. I'm a total car n00b and I'm not really a DIYer so does anyone have any idea how to go about fixing this?

How much would it cost me to get a shop to 1) take a look at it and 2) fix it?

Is this something that can be fixed with a simple fuse replacement (doesn't seem likely since the speed/odometer combo seems to work about 2/3 of the time, right?) or by doing something with the VSS?

If I were to replace the gauge cluster entirely, would THIS solve the problem?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
Old 07-01-2004, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Speedometer/odometer don't work for first ten minutes, then begin working... (Broohaha)

The problem could be the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) or a faulty speedometer.

A friend of mine experienced the exact same problem. So I sold him my used USDM speedo and it worked fine (NOTE: I only sold him the speedo gauge, not the entire cluster).
Old 07-01-2004, 06:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedometer/odometer don't work for first ten minutes, then begin working... (1niceSi)

I'll vote for the VSS as well. Try to use a friends if you have a friend with a Civic. It takes all of 5 minutes to take yours out and replace it.

You can check it yourself by cross checking it with a friends sensor. A thread by B18C5-EH2 on axle replacement outlines where the VSS is and how to remove it.

Changing your guage cluster most likely won't be the problem IMHO.