Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedometer not working need verification

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer not working need verification

So my speedo doesn't wanna work now, the other gauges work fine though just my MPH isn't just wanna be sure that this is the work of the VSS if not what's doing this

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 03-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Speedometer not working need verification

Originally Posted by [713]
So my speedo doesn't wanna work now, the other gauges work fine though just my MPH isn't just wanna be sure that this is the work of the VSS if not what's doing this

any help is greatly appreciated
Well it's most likely either the VSS or the speedometer (either the speedometer itself or the connection to the cluster). You can test the cluster by temporarily swapping in another cluster and seeing if the speedometer works.

Also, if your car is OBD-II, simply hook an OBD-II computer up to the port while you're driving. One of the statistics you can pull from the computer is the vehicle speed. If it's out of whack (or simply 0), then the VSS is bad, if it's right on, then it's either your speedometer or the wiring to it.

I'd say the simplest way to test is to swap in another cluster temporarily and take it for a ride around the block, just to see if it works. It's like 4 screws on a '96-'00 and I think 5 on a '92-'95 (one behind the hazard switch, and 4 around the bezel, if I recall correctly). It's not like civic clusters are hard to come by.

Though do know that the speedometer can break independently of the other gauges - a lot of people don't believe this so they say if your tach is working, it's the VSS, and people believe it - and waste money.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Syndacate
Well it's most likely either the VSS or the speedometer (either the speedometer itself or the connection to the cluster). You can test the cluster by temporarily swapping in another cluster and seeing if the speedometer works.

Also, if your car is OBD-II, simply hook an OBD-II computer up to the port while you're driving. One of the statistics you can pull from the computer is the vehicle speed. If it's out of whack (or simply 0), then the VSS is bad, if it's right on, then it's either your speedometer or the wiring to it.

I'd say the simplest way to test is to swap in another cluster temporarily and take it for a ride around the block, just to see if it works. It's like 4 screws on a '96-'00 and I think 5 on a '92-'95 (one behind the hazard switch, and 4 around the bezel, if I recall correctly). It's not like civic clusters are hard to come by.

Though do know that the speedometer can break independently of the other gauges - a lot of people don't believe this so they say if your tach is working, it's the VSS, and people believe it - and waste money.
so you say it just might be just my cluster?
hmmmmm

damn i think id rather get another cluster but its gonna be hard finding one with a tach for my 95
Old 03-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by [713]
so you say it just might be just my cluster?
hmmmmm

damn i think id rather get another cluster but its gonna be hard finding one with a tach for my 95
A) No it's not, every EX/Si from '92-'95 had a tach. Not sure about the LX (probably not), but the CX/DX/VX didn't. Still a fair amount of EX/Si's out there, and still a fair amount of '92-'95 clusters with tachs out there for sale.

B) Who cares about a tach that's ~200-~300 RPM inaccurate (by redline, it gets more and more out of whack as you close in on the redline, it starts off pretty accurate) on a most likely stock civic, anyway? I've had another EX cluster sitting in my room for god knows how long and still have been rocking the old CX cluster in my EX. A tach (a not-so-accurate one at that) in a stock econobox is kind of pointless. Unless you really need it (and you don't), you might want to think about saving 80 bucks and going with one without a tach.

EDIT:
PS: You should definitely try throwing another cluster in there temporarily to see if it is indeed the cluster - it may just as well be the VSS. I'd have to guestimate they die at equal amounts, probably a bit more in terms of the VSS's, but I've seen quite a few speedometers die on civics as well.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Syndacate
A) No it's not, every EX/Si from '92-'95 had a tach. Not sure about the LX (probably not), but the CX/DX/VX didn't. Still a fair amount of EX/Si's out there, and still a fair amount of '92-'95 clusters with tachs out there for sale.

B) Who cares about a tach that's ~200-~300 RPM inaccurate (by redline, it gets more and more out of whack as you close in on the redline, it starts off pretty accurate) on a most likely stock civic, anyway? I've had another EX cluster sitting in my room for god knows how long and still have been rocking the old CX cluster in my EX. A tach (a not-so-accurate one at that) in a stock econobox is kind of pointless. Unless you really need it (and you don't), you might want to think about saving 80 bucks and going with one without a tach.

EDIT:
PS: You should definitely try throwing another cluster in there temporarily to see if it is indeed the cluster - it may just as well be the VSS. I'd have to guestimate they die at equal amounts, probably a bit more in terms of the VSS's, but I've seen quite a few speedometers die on civics as well.
i know what you mean but most around my area no one wants to give up and i could care less about the redline i just wanna have a working one that functions like its supposed to but ya i see what you mean about the tach but ill check that out asap

thanks yo