Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2003, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's

ok i know peopel have talked about this before but in my case it doesnt matter how fast im going i can be stiiting still in neutral and if i rev my car up to likr 5-7000 rpms the tach goes all crazy.it just started doing this and i dont think its the vss cuz if it was then it would do it at a certain speed or at all speeds. if i just cruise at like 70 mph it doesnt jump but as soon as i down shift to a higher rpm then it starts going crazy.. any thoughts?
Old 06-10-2003, 05:15 PM

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (nextelbuddy)

Try switching distributors with someone. In my experience it is the ignitor in the distributor that is going bad. easy to swap out the ignitor just use the correct size phillips screw driver.

Keston.
Old 06-10-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (TypeRaven)

what does the ignitor or the distributor have to do with the speedometer? i thought the distributor was related to the tachometer...
Old 06-10-2003, 07:01 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> if i rev my car up to likr 5-7000 rpms the tach goes all crazy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

A problem with the tachometer would lie within the distributor with a part called the ignitor.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> it just started doing this and i dont think its the vss cuz if it was then it would do it at a certain speed or at all speeds </TD></TR></TABLE>

vss=vehicle speed sensor
A problem with the speedometer would be caused by the vss.
Old 06-10-2003, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (jdircksen)

damn i am sooo stupid im sorry guys. i said the wrong thing. my tach is fine nothing wrong with it. my speedometer is the one that goes all crazy. buit what i meant to say was that my speedometer onyl goes crqazy when i hit about 5-7000 rpms. the car doesnt even have to be rolling at all i can be still and just rev the motor and the SPEEDOMETER goes all crazy. thats why i dont think its the VSS because the vss only works if the car is rolling. any ideas? i was thinking maybe a bad engine ground but i checked all my grounds and its all good
Old 06-10-2003, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

so how much are VSS sensors anyways from the dealer?
Old 06-10-2003, 08:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do this: take off your vss and check to see if there is any corrosion on the pins(usually center one i think), and clean it off. a really easy thing to do is to remove the white plastic around the pins(or receptacles) and make it so the receptacles grab tighter onto the pins. same thing happened to me.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (blufke)

ok well my speedo problem has gotten worse. now my speedo doesnt work at all and the CEL comes on and when i check the code it is code 17 VSS. i changed my VSS out for a new one and also another one that i know works form a friends car and still my spedo soesnt work. i am lost now does any one have any idea what it could be? thanx for all help
Old 06-13-2003, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Find a used wiring harness and cut the VSS clip off of the old one and cut yours off and butt slpice the new one in. Those connectors get coroded all the time, that seems to be your problem now.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (Quik Chris)

yea i thought about doing that i have the plug still on my CX harness in my garage. so how bout this if after i do that and it still doesnt work could it be something els liek a bad ground or electrical? it cant be the speedo becaus ei have changed out the cluster twice and the prblem was still there. well thanx for the advice guys.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:30 AM

I had the same problem in my eg, its the vss, change it. Then your speedometer will work fine. I bought mine from a local junk yard for $35.00.
Old 06-13-2003, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (beastineg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beastineg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had the same problem in my eg, its the vss, change it. Then your speedometer will work fine. I bought mine from a local junk yard for $35.00. </TD></TR></TABLE>

read the whole post first lazy ***
Old 06-13-2003, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (Quik Chris)

yea when i pulled the vss out last night the sensor was coroded in there but i couldnt get anything small enought to clean inside the sensor so i used brake cleaner to spray the corrosion out. also the plug had corrosion also. but i guess it wasnt enought cuz it still looks corroded.

does ynoen know why they get corroded liek that? what causes it?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea when i pulled the vss out last night the sensor was coroded in there but i couldnt get anything small enought to clean inside the sensor so i used brake cleaner to spray the corrosion out. also the plug had corrosion also. but i guess it wasnt enought cuz it still looks corroded.

does ynoen know why they get corroded liek that? what causes it?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Prolly some water got in there and caused it to rust. Clean it up real well with some WD-40 then let it dry. When you reassemle it, put some dielectric grease in there and it will prevent it from getting messed up again.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (Hybrid93Eg)

well see i have tried a new vss sensor and that didnt solve the problem so the onlyt thing left to replace is the plug itself which i will do after i get off work. hopefully that will solve the problem. what do you guys reccomend for cleaning my old vss sensor? brake cleaner or wd 40 or what ? something else?
Old 06-13-2003, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nextelbuddy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well see i have tried a new vss sensor and that didnt solve the problem so the onlyt thing left to replace is the plug itself which i will do after i get off work. hopefully that will solve the problem. what do you guys reccomend for cleaning my old vss sensor? brake cleaner or wd 40 or what ? something else?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The connector could be all corroded as well which would mean a new VSS won't do you any good. The WD40 should help desolve the rust. Brake cleaner might be good for follow up. If you clean out the connector and it still doesn't work then I would look for a break in the wires between the VSS connector and the ECM/Gauge cluster.
Old 06-13-2003, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: speedometer jumps around only at high rpms's (Hybrid93Eg)

well i have replaced the VSS , the shaft that goes ino the tranny, ans also spliced a new plug as well as changed ecu's and still my speedo wither jumps around or doesnt work at all thus causig my CEL to come on. the only thing left to assume isa that i have a wiring problem some where.

does anyone know what each one of the three wires that come out of the vss go to? if i could find that out i could hardwire the vss signal wire to teh ecu as well as to teh speedo itself but until i can figure this out i cant get it to work.
Old 06-13-2003, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

b to the ump for the nite peeps
Old 06-14-2003, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doe any one here know what the 3 wires on the VSS go to? i know one goes to the ecu, but what abot the other 2? is one of them a ground and the other goes to my speedo? it it is then i can hardwire my vss to the speedo and ecu to take care of any wiring problmes i think i have in my wirign harness