Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 02:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though.

Hey guys, my speedo and odometer cut out on the way home today. At the first stop light the speedo needle popped up and hasn't moved since. I have no codes either. I am running a power fc stand alone but plugged my stock ecu into it just to check, still nothing. Vtec still works as well.

I have searched and checked everything that came up. All fuses in the bay and in the cabin, none were blown. I unplugged the VSS and replugged it back in, I also took out the cluster. Everything was plugged in and kosher in the back EXCEPT one orange clip that didn't have anything to plug into that I saw. I am at a loss. Faulty VSS? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though. (eastcoast-ej)

check your speed sensor on your tranny sometimes they can get soaked with oil and not work. if you see that it is covered in something clean it off and spray some cleaner into the connector and the sensor. see if this works then let us know.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Re: Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though. (crawlin)

Thanks for the reply! I just went and looked and everything was clean. I blew off both sides for good measure to no success. I am stumped. Time for a new VSS? Is that orange plug behind the cluster supposed to be plugged into something? I saw no where for it to connect.....Thanks again!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though. (eastcoast-ej)

Was the cluster removed recently by any chance (loose screw in the back...)?

My speedo starting jumping around recently too, but only on some occasions, and I removed the VSS yesterday to clean it. It works a little better, but sticks sometimes. I am not throwing a CEL either and it can't be the gauge since it runs smooth most of the time. I am thinking it's the sensor that needs to be re-greased. You can try to borrow another friend's VSS to see if the problem lies with the VSS or your cluster.

The orange plug is for ABS, which you will not need to plug in since your car probably doesn't have it.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 PM

Default Re: Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though. (BlueIntegraBoy)

I have an em1 which I don't think came with it. Not quite sure. And I haven't removed the cluster until today after it stopped working. I tightened up all the screws when I did. EVERYTHING on the cluster works except for the speedo and odometer which is making me think it has to be the VSS. How do I take the VSS off? That 1 10mm bolt and thats it? All the help is really appreciated guys! Thanks!
Old 08-27-2007, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah, EM1's in the US never came with ABS. It's the single 10mm bolt. You'll need to twist the VSS and pull straight up (little tight).
Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Speedo and odometer not working, not throwing vss cel though. (BlueIntegraBoy)

Haha, I noticed it was a little bit of a squeeze. Thanks for all the help BlueIntegraBoy, I am gonna try to do it in the morning, I will post the results.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Ok I have no way of getting a hold of another vss from a friend or anyone. I just moved so I don't know anyone here.... Should I just go place an order for another vss?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I do not have an answer for you, but I have a question that relates to your problem. I have a similar but in my case, sometimes everyting work, sometimes only the speedo dies, sometimes only the tach dies.

So my question is, are both the speed and tach getting their reading from the VSS?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (blaze_125)

I don't see how they would as the tach should be connected to the engine to read rpm. The vss should only control odometer and speedo. Plus its connected straight into the transmission. No way to figure rpm from there I would think. It sounds like you either have loose bad connections/grounds or a much worse electrical problem. (please take what I say with a grain of salt) I'm tempted to just go buy a new vss but I really don't have the money to just throw away I would like a little back up confidence from some one.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would just hit up a junkyard man. I have the problem like blaze_125 and my friend confirmed its the VSS. My speedo goes crazy at full throttle and my tach jumps at high RPMS, sumtimes after more than one hour on constant driving they both die and dont come back on. CEL comes on and I turn off car turn back on CEL is off and clusters work again. Mine is getting worse little by little. I would say look for a junkyard and pay like $20 for one.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:45 PM

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

Preciate it bro. Will do.
Old 08-28-2007, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (StreetRacinThug)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by StreetRacinThug &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would just hit up a junkyard man. I have the problem like blaze_125 and my friend confirmed its the VSS. My speedo goes crazy at full throttle and my tach jumps at high RPMS, sumtimes after more than one hour on constant driving they both die and dont come back on. CEL comes on and I turn off car turn back on CEL is off and clusters work again. Mine is getting worse little by little. I would say look for a junkyard and pay like $20 for one.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it could be possible to mess with your tach. if you have vtec you will notice vtec wont engage without the speedo working and vtec is suppose to be off rpm.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (crawlin)

Would it be possible that since I have a standalone e.c.u. that my vtec is still working, since it is infact, still working?
Old 08-28-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Theres one thing I dont have VTEC i have an LS