Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo just died on me. what should i check first??

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo just died on me. what should i check first??

My hatch's speedo was acting alittle weird yesterday (flucuated alittle). today it was doing fine til i was on my way back home. the speedo doesnt start moving from zero til im going around 40mph. crusing down the road with traffic (55mph speed limit) speedo reads ~20mph. i was prolly going ~65mph.

I know my cluster is good. swapped it with a known good one, still same thing happens.

What else should i check??
Old 04-06-2006, 01:09 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Speedo just died on me. what should i check first?? (pip9)

Check the VSS plug, sensor, wires.
Old 04-06-2006, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo just died on me. what should i check first?? (SkoundrelUSA)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SkoundrelUSA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Check the VSS plug, sensor, wires.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 04-06-2006, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speedo just died on me. what should i check first?? (civ_tek)

apparently this is an intermitten problem. i drove my car acouple mins ago and the speedo is working fine again ???

could that mean maybe the vss is going bad??
Old 04-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea i have the same issue but it says im going 100 when im going like 60, then it sasy im dion 20 when im almost stopped. and sometimes it just flicckers all over the freaking place or just acts dead. does that sound like a wire problme or is it just oging bad?
Old 04-06-2006, 03:28 PM

happened to me before my speedo died, it was the middle plug on the VSS connection to speedo for me. The VSS middle connector corroded off (this light blue corrosion everywhere) and i need a new vss personally.. lol
Old 04-06-2006, 03:31 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (axtran)

If the VSS base breaks away from the funny 10mm bolt that holds it in place it can do that too. Personal experience.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just got a cel code 17 today which is for a vss, so it looks like i just need to replace that. thx.
Old 04-07-2006, 12:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

where is the VSS located? just curious...
Old 04-07-2006, 12:32 PM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (CAVTECSol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CAVTECSol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where is the VSS located? just curious...</TD></TR></TABLE>

on the tranny

Old 04-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (pip9)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by pip9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just got a cel code 17 today which is for a vss, so it looks like i just need to replace that. thx.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i just replaced the sensor (the black part) and im still getting the same problem. there was one other bolt holding another piece in that went inside the tranny. should i have changed that part too??
Old 04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
cute little bastard

yes
Old 04-07-2006, 03:56 PM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: (SkoundrelUSA)

make sure you have enough speedo fluid
Old 04-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i changed both parts and im still getting the problem.

i checked the plug and it doesnt look corroded. it kinda seems like i only get the problem after the cars been warmed up for awhile. always works fine when i drive the car after its been sitting and cooled down.

i guess im only left with either an ecu or a wiring problem.
Old 04-07-2006, 06:37 PM

doublecheck how secure the connection is, if worst comes to worst reset the car's electronics by pulling battery
Old 04-07-2006, 06:46 PM

i'd make sure the thermostat ground is securely on there and/or not corroded (it should be 4 small gauge black wires crimpped onto the same ring connector). that plays a big part in the gauges working right, well it did in my hatch when i had it.
Old 04-07-2006, 10:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by axtran &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">doublecheck how secure the connection is, if worst comes to worst reset the car's electronics by pulling battery</TD></TR></TABLE>

the plugs on there good, i pulled my ecu fuse and disconnected the battery for a few mins after i changed out the plug

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eXcelonTypeR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i'd make sure the thermostat ground is securely on there and/or not corroded (it should be 4 small gauge black wires crimpped onto the same ring connector). that plays a big part in the gauges working right, well it did in my hatch when i had it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i'll check that out next thanks.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:10 AM

sounds stupid but do you have like indiglo guages...possible the needle is getting hung up, just a possibility
Old 04-08-2006, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (GarageAlchemist)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">make sure you have enough speedo fluid</TD></TR></TABLE>

Wtf??
Old 04-08-2006, 05:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sifu)

lol

Thats a 1st.
Old 04-08-2006, 07:56 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: (LHD EG)

Sorry to say, it's your cluster. If you replaced the VSS and checked everything else, then there is one thing it can be --&gt; The shitty soldering job done on our speedometer clusters. They break loose after a while and causes this to happen, and eventually it will stop working all together.

I drove around with a speedo like this for a good year or two before I swapped my GSR cluster in. God, I'm lazy.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (john breezy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by john breezy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sounds stupid but do you have like indiglo guages...possible the needle is getting hung up, just a possibility</TD></TR></TABLE>

its just a stock cluster. thx tho.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry to say, it's your cluster. If you replaced the VSS and checked everything else, then there is one thing it can be --&gt; The shitty soldering job done on our speedometer clusters. They break loose after a while and causes this to happen, and eventually it will stop working all together.

I drove around with a speedo like this for a good year or two before I swapped my GSR cluster in. God, I'm lazy. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i already stated that its a good cluster. i talked to the guy who had the car before me today and he said the speedo would go out on him every once in a while before. I put in my ex cluster that i know is good when i first got the car, so i'd have a tach. Im thinking now its a wiring problem. im not sure why its intermitten tho. bad ground or something.... once it stops raining out again im going to do some more investigation.

man this problem ******* sucks. atleast i have a tach now so i can guess my speed.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:19 AM

lol apparently its a common problem with our clusters, you just can buy a new one they are so cheap anyways or take it apart and resolder.

Mine has been acting funny too lately oh well
Old 04-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's either one off these:

The speedo it self
a short/cut in the wires (its 3 wires: power, ground, and signal)
VSS (vehicle speed sensor) located on the tranny behind the starter

Adriano
Old 04-08-2006, 06:02 PM

might be irrevelant but

When i installed my LSD i didnt shim the diff and it killed my vss. Upon furthur inspectiong the speedo gear on the diff had a few bent teeth which helped kill it quicker. Have you had the tranny apart lately?

Quick Reply: Speedo just died on me. what should i check first??