Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speedo acting weird

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedo acting weird

My speedo has been acting very strange recently. While I'm driving the needle just starts jumping around. Let's say I'm cruising at 60mph, the speedo will jump to 30mph, then 50mph, then maybe to 20mph. It's freakin' crazy. Anyone know what could be wrong? My guess would be a sensor. This only happens sometimes, well...80% of the time so I'm ruling a broken cluster out of the picture. But please gimme some ideas. It's a bit dangerous to drive not knowing what speed you are actually going.

Edit: Forgot to tell what car I had. 94' CX with a D16Z6. Just started happening recently, like a week ago.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:51 AM

Default Re: Speedo acting weird (Echelon)

wow thats crazy cause i was just about to post a topic about the same question. i have a 96 civic ex and it did the same thing right before my alternator went bad... then ever since then it hasn't worked... they are on the same fuse circuit... and i dunno if my problem is cause i have a wrong alternator in there or what but it keeps popping the fuse soon as you put one in there and start the car up... and also i have to rev the car to 3 grand before the alternator starts working... but the altnator i used was from my friends dx he just got a swap and it was a new alternator he put in 2 months before the swap. and he no longer needed it so he gave it to me. but i dunno if its cause i have a ex and his was for a dx if thats whats causing all my problems or if i just have the worst chasis wiring ever.... but just keep a eye out for your alternator going bad... and if you find out what the problem is let me know also is i can try to fix mine too... thanks and good luck.

also i was going to state that my speedometer and miles still don't worked... i haven't put a mile on my car in over a year hehe... but i miss knowing how fast i am going. and i hate having to rev the car to 3 grand everytime i start it
Old 12-28-2004, 12:56 AM
my house has wheels on it

check your vehicle speed sensor, it is located on top of the tranny near the firewall
Old 12-28-2004, 05:46 AM

Default Re: (BrokeAssWhiteboy)

yea i tried that on mine and it didn't work... so my guess is that either my alternator is bad or the gauge cluster is bad..
Old 12-28-2004, 05:57 AM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (pimpdaddypat)

Its the cluster. Get a new one and your problem will be solved.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDM_Ej)

Thanks, I after I ruled that option out I was driving along at 65 when the speedo took a dive and say at 0 for about 3 minutes. Looks like I'll be needing a new gauge.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say get your alternator tested because when they go they go and your car wont my 92 lx was doing that and it took 2 days b4 it let me down on the high way so get that checked asap...
Old 12-28-2004, 11:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

first check your alternator.
then swap clusters with a friend just to test it out. if it still does it then check the vss. if it still does it then there is a short or something is messed up in the wiring.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMlyfestyle)

Hopefully it's the alternator, or the cluster. I'm sure the wiring isn't the problem, it's only been recent as I also did all the wiring myself.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (Echelon)

This is wierd as **** I was going to post this to. Mine will shoot up in speed though. I was doing 85 yesterday and it shot up to 120 and then went all the way around to 40mph. The alternator is fine it has no problems and after reading this post I guess the only other thing is the cluster. I don't have anybody to test with so somebody trade with a friend and post if that worked or not.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:31 PM

Default Re: (forgotmypassword)

freaking hondas man... its like i can tell everyone what to expect from there honda cause i think i have had it all.... 1. spun a bearing bin there done that 2. idle air control been there still have the problem... yea you know what i mean when i say the vroom vroom vroom sound when your idleling at a stop light... yup gotta love it cause every freaking honda has done it... ohh i can't forget to mention about the SRS light have been on for 2 years along with the check engine light... the car is so f*cked up that a scan tool won't even work on it... and i already replaced the engine wiring harness... ohh and hyperwhite bulbs and i keep melting the wiring harnesses and having to get new ones every 4 months.. and the stupid o2 sensor is bad now too... i think its tome for me to get a toyota or something hehe... i love my honda but i can go on all day with problems i have had.. ohh and i forgot i had to replace the tranny cause 2nd and 3rd and part of 4th went bad... and now my second tranny is starting to go bad on 2nd gear it slips out.... i know i beat the **** out of it and thats why i had some of the problems but the IAC and the speedo and the headlight wiring melting that isn't my fault along with the SRS... i thihnk honda should just give me a new car... or at least a b18c will be fine too....
Old 01-06-2005, 07:43 PM

I just had the same problem in my 94 civic ex coupe. I thought it was the gauge cluster but i found out that were the wires go into the speed sensor were not on all the way. They looked like they were but when I pushed on them they clicked on all the way.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:08 PM

Default Re: Speedo acting weird (redlineracer419)

you guyz need to verify whats causing the problem before you start accusing certain items being defective. think about it....VSS might work fine but connector is loose or dirty...my advice to you is to go get a wiring diagram for your car and check voltage up to connector....see if have any voltage drops after connector and see if there is excess resistance. what im trying to say is: "the component is not alwayz the problem...it could be wiring itself or dirty connectors" check it all out before swapping stuff out

from what you are stating...i think it is the speed sensor....i've seen symtoms like you describe with the sensor being at fault. i would favor the sensor being bad because it is exposed more in comparison to the instrument cluster. just what i think...do all your checks
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Speedo acting weird (i2ishift)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i2ishift &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> just had the same problem in my 94 civic ex coupe. I thought it was the gauge cluster but i found out that were the wires go into the speed sensor were not on all the way. They looked like they were but when I pushed on them they clicked on all the way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

point made
Old 01-06-2005, 10:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i am having the same problems, speedo acting weird, and also my radio turning on and off and last but not least revs dropping
wtf!!!!!
Old 01-06-2005, 10:14 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by redlineracer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> just had the same problem in my 94 civic ex coupe. I thought it was the gauge cluster but i found out that were the wires go into the speed sensor were not on all the way. They looked like they were but when I pushed on them they clicked on all the way. </TD></TR></TABLE>

point made