Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speed Sensor/ Fuse Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speed Sensor/ Fuse Problem

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> I have a 96 Dx. Every once and a while I get a CEL, Speedo stops working and the #20 Alt fuse always blows. if i don't disconnect the speedo cable from the sensor, the CEL always flickers. Once I replace the #20 fuse, the speedo works and the CEL goes away. Eventually it happens again. I have replace the speed sensor twice. Can it be the alt? </FONT>
Old 08-02-2006, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Speed Sensor/ Fuse Problem (CA6VTEC)

no, it is not the alternator, a lot of people think it is, simply because of the fuse, but I had cut off my second O2 sensor as i do not need it anymore (OBD1 B16a) and left the wires, thinking they were dead, oh boy was I wrong, the wires grounded out, and blew that fuse so many times, i spent 10 bucks in fuses, until i fugred out it was those wires I cut, check for a bad ground, or a grounded out sensor, you are showingthe same symtoms I had, and it took me 5 days of heavy diagnosing to figure out where the only open wires in my harness were, under the car, hitting the shift linkage. Check that out before you even think about pulling that alternator out. If I was a betting man, I'd say its a ground out.
Old 08-02-2006, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Speed Sensor/ Fuse Problem (slowcivic2k)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowcivic2k &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no, it is not the alternator, a lot of people think it is, simply because of the fuse, but I had cut off my second O2 sensor as i do not need it anymore (OBD1 B16a) and left the wires, thinking they were dead, oh boy was I wrong, the wires grounded out, and blew that fuse so many times, i spent 10 bucks in fuses, until i fugred out it was those wires I cut, check for a bad ground, or a grounded out sensor, you are showingthe same symtoms I had, and it took me 5 days of heavy diagnosing to figure out where the only open wires in my harness were, under the car, hitting the shift linkage. Check that out before you even think about pulling that alternator out. If I was a betting man, I'd say its a ground out.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<FONT COLOR="royalblue"> Thanks.. Funny that you mention that. Fuse only blows out sometimes. I can go hours w/o the CEL turning onm, then bam out of nowhere, blown fuse & no speedo.. I will look around that area for a any lose wires. </FONT>