Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default specs

Sorry this might have been posted twice, but I'm posting it again bc I didnt see it.
Could anyone tell me the hp and torque on a 96 Civic coupe Dx with a JDM b18c1 with OBD 1. also it does not have a cat. convertor and has integ. muffler if that matters?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 AM

Default Re: specs (mma4315)

there is no such thing as a jdm b18c1. theres a jdm b18c, and it has about 180 hp
Old 10-17-2007, 07:44 AM

Default Re: specs (stock99si)

let me reword this. im talking about with the weight diff. from the integra compared to the civic. i know the civic is lighter than the integra. it is the jdm gsr on a stock 96 civic coupe dx with no extras besides the short ram intake and integ. muffler with. also no cat. convertor. what is the hp considering the weight distribution of that motor being in a civic instead of an integra?
Old 10-17-2007, 07:55 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

The horsepower of an enigne has literally nothing to do with the weight of the car.

An engine making 200hp in a 2500lb. car will still put down the same 200hp in a 1900lb. car.

Which one will be quicker though?

Of course the 1900lb. car, but that still has nothing to do with horsepower.

A Civic Dx coupe will probably weigh about 100-150lbs. less than an Integra, so it will be marginally quicker than an Integra GS-R given the weight advantage.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:58 AM

yea, its still gonna be a jdm b18 no matter what car u put it in. but it would be about 150 lbs lighter, which in the honda tuning business is a lot.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:02 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: specs (B18C5-EH2)

Oh and by the way:

There are two main types of horsepower you will see being discussed on automotive forums:

1. Wheel horsepower (whp)

This is power measured on a dyno at the wheels of a vehicle. This is the standard that enthusiasts/tuners care about and judge engines with.

2. Flywheel horsepower

This is power quoted by car makers in commercials, auto magazines, etc. This is the factory rating of an engine at the flywheel, not the wheels of the car

Flywheel horsepower ratings will always be higher than whp because with whp you have the transmission, axles, wheels, and tires all controbuting to friction and power "loss" to the dyno.

Example?

I'll use a JDM Integra GS-R engine.

The factory rating is "180hp" but on a dyno at the wheels of a car it would be more like 150hp. When you see people talking about "I made 200hp to the wheels" that's actually a big deal considering the engine is making more like 230-240 if using flywheel figures.

So in your case I's say you're probably pushing close to 180hp flywheel, 150ish to the wheels because the mods are minimal, and there is probably a touch of wear due to mileage.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mma4315 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sorry this might have been posted twice, but I'm posting it again bc I didnt see it.
Could anyone tell me the hp and torque on a 96 Civic coupe Dx with a JDM b18c1 with OBD 1. also it does not have a cat. convertor and has integ. muffler if that matters?</TD></TR></TABLE>

The engine probably makes between 170-180hp at the flywheel stock.

Considering you might have gained .5 hp from removing the cat, you are at a half a horsepower over stock.

Put your cat back on. You're not doing anyone any good with it off. You're polluting much much more...for a gain of about a half a HP to 2 hp.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:11 AM
Former Moderator

Default Re: specs (B serious)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B serious &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

The engine probably makes between 170-180hp at the flywheel stock.

Considering you might have gained .5 hp from removing the cat, you are at a half a horsepower over stock.

Put your cat back on. You're not doing anyone any good with it off. You're polluting much much more...for a gain of about a half a HP to 2 hp. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm going to venture a guess and say that he didn't intentionally remove the convertor. I'm guessing the GS-R swap didn't come with one, and since he has a DX with the convertor/manifold crap there's no way he could have used his old one.

While I don't think the whp gain is worth removing a cat, I can't honestly say I care enough to tell a guy to spend $200.00 or more to go back and have a cat installed just to save our already doomed environment. You know muscle cars have 4 times the displacement that we have and have been running catless for decades now, right?

Old 10-17-2007, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^
x2 put that cat back on.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:22 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm going to venture a guess and say that he didn't intentionally remove the convertor. I'm guessing the GS-R swap didn't come with one, and since he has a DX with the convertor/manifold crap there's no way he could have used his old one.

While I don't think the whp gain is worth removing a cat, I can't honestly say I care enough to tell a guy to spend $200.00 or more to go back and have a cat installed just to save our already doomed environment. You know muscle cars have 4 times the displacement that we have and have been running catless for decades now, right?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. It keeps getting hotter...and hotter...and hotter...

It's not $200 to get a cat. You can buy a used one. Bolt it onto the downpipe, and have an exhaust shop cut about 12'' off the exhaust you buy, and buy a flange. If you're getting an exhaust MADE, then this is a non issue. Even if it was $200, how much is breathing worth? One of the reasons we're all not sick, and having babies that come out with cancer is because the EPA mandated the use of cats. If a majority of people took off their cats, we'd all be fu#$ed. Think about the amount of cars on the road today as compared to earlier days. Population is up, and driving population is WAY up. I've heard stories of pre emissions L.A. Think about being stuck on the highway in traffic with a freaking headache the whole time.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:38 AM
Former Moderator

We can go on all day, or start a completely different topic regarding emissions, convertors, etc.

We need to throw some convertors on airplanes too. How about we reduce, or stop auto/motorcycle racing altogether too? The list goes on, and we could argue back and forth all day.

As far as a "used" cat goes it's illegal in GA to sell them, so if you want a cat you're buying an aftermarket one for $150-200.00 installed, or you're getting assraped by Honda to the tune of $500.00-$1,200.00 depending on the year, make, and model.

I tried to do the right thing by having a nice convertor installed on my Type R powered hatch, and within 3 months the pile of **** rotted out - and I had the car tuned the same week as the convertor was installed, so it wasn't running rich. I gutted the fuucker and haven't bothered wasting any more money on another one. Besides that car probably doesn't see 3000 miles in a an entire YEAR. I probably qualify for a freaking emissions waiver in GA anyways.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:44 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
We need to throw some convertors on airplanes too. How about we reduce, or stop auto/motorcycle racing altogether too? The list goes on, and we could argue back and forth all day.

.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your excuse to pollute shouldn't be "because everyone else does it". After all, you're polluting YOUR OWN environment...but It's not like not cleaning your room or something. Everyone is affected by everyone else's actions. It's not like environmentalists are trying to protect their own and leave everyone else in the smog.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
Former Moderator

Okay let's see how many pages we can take this thing for.

1. My emissions passing, convertor-equipped daily driver emits more overall emissions in a year than my catless car due to how one car is driven much more than the other.

2. I also own a ULEV 2005 Honda Element - does that count for anything?

Regardless of how much I save the rest of the world from my own emissions, the fact remains that we have famous people jet-setting across the globe (ironically enough big "environmentalists" such as Al Gore come to mind) in airplanes that dump shiit tons more pollutants than our cars every will, slashing and burning of rain forests, battery plants that are toxic waste dumps who happen to manufacture the very "eco friendly" batteries that power these "super eco-friendly" hybrids, etc. etc.

Please spare me with the environmental speech. I'm not saying I'm going clubbing baby seals while I hold my B18C5 at 9000rpm for hours on end, but i'm also not buying all of the environmental crap abput "global warming" and whatever else they're spewing either.

May I ask you what kind of car do you drive?

What exactly are you doing in order to help save the environment besides passively having a convertor on your own cars?
Old 10-17-2007, 10:23 AM

i didnt have it taken off bc i wanted to and it wasnt for the gain either. id rather have it on there. that is what it came down to when it was installed
Old 10-17-2007, 10:26 AM

so quick to jump to conclusions. what makes you auto. think i wanted it off. you dont know me and i do know that it is not good for the environ. ive been working to get a cat. convert. i have this car for my everyday driver and bc i love modified imports
Old 10-17-2007, 10:34 AM

it is not about how much hp i have. i just wanted to know for sure what the whp is since i have that car. thank you for answering what the hp is though and the weight difference. i didnt take the cat. off for performance.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:47 AM

there is no such thing as a jdm b18c1. theres a jdm b18c, and it has about 180 hp

there is such thing as a B18C1 ITS a usdm GSR.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, I'm not meaning to get off topic (the topic now being "it's not your job to pollute the environment") but does anybody have any secondary O2 sensor simulators for sale?