Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 12:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation

Hi everyone;

So I have a 92' Civic DX Sedan (4door). It doesn't have any rear speakers so I need to install some. From what I was told by a associate at best buy my car has openings for 5.25" speakers all the way around but the openings in my trunk look bigger than that though I measured them and got 5.25". I really don't think I want to even try looking for those stock honda speaker covers so I might use the ones that come w/ my speakers... is this size correct and does anyone have any experiance installing speakers in the rear of a civic which has never had any?

Moreover the two speakers that did come w/ the car in the front doors measure over 6" in size when I removed the stock grill and measured them w/ my steel ruler.. WTF is that about? I thought they were all 5.25" ?

I also need to replace my deck the stock one isn't worth the effort of having, I think I want to shop online for a really good deal ($100 or less). No particular model/brand I am looking for just something that looks nice and can play back mp3 CDs or atleast plays back CDs looks good and is well priced.
Does anyone reccomend any specific models? And some references to good online car audio stores would be great too!

Thanks for your time!
Old 07-18-2004, 12:38 AM

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (Paprika)

whats up. i have a 93 dx coupe that originally did not have rear speakers. however when i purchased the car the person i bought it from had already installed speakers in the rear deck, which i soon replaced with 6 1/2" speaks.

5 1/4" speakers fit in the front door panels; you can actually fit 6/ 1/2" speaks in the front if you cut out the sides of the plastic moulding that bolts the speaker into the door (the speaker can't have too big of a magnet though bc the door isn't too deep - so 5 1/4" or 5" is typically the size used in the front, but most full range 6 1/2" speakers will fit in the doors if you modify the plastic holdster).

now the deck i'm pretty sure is made for 6 1/2" speaks, though 5s might fit (again check crutchfield or a haynes manual). In my car i used the factory grills. I would suggest buying the factory speaker holders though, (prolly like $65-75 through Honda dealers) bc they are made to project the soundwaves in a particular manner into the rear windshield to reflect the music into the car. The speakers will definitely sound better and have a better seal if you install the factory speaker grills. If i wasn't selling coupe i would buy those rear deck grills.

hope that helps.
Old 07-18-2004, 01:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (jlsmi2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jlsmi2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">whats up. i have a 93 dx coupe that originally did not have rear speakers. however when i purchased the car the person i bought it from had already installed speakers in the rear deck, which i soon replaced with 6 1/2" speaks.

5 1/4" speakers fit in the front door panels; you can actually fit 6/ 1/2" speaks in the front if you cut out the sides of the plastic moulding that bolts the speaker into the door (the speaker can't have too big of a magnet though bc the door isn't too deep - so 5 1/4" or 5" is typically the size used in the front, but most full range 6 1/2" speakers will fit in the doors if you modify the plastic holdster).

now the deck i'm pretty sure is made for 6 1/2" speaks, though 5s might fit (again check crutchfield or a haynes manual). In my car i used the factory grills. I would suggest buying the factory speaker holders though, (prolly like $65-75 through Honda dealers) bc they are made to project the soundwaves in a particular manner into the rear windshield to reflect the music into the car. The speakers will definitely sound better and have a better seal if you install the factory speaker grills. If i wasn't selling coupe i would buy those rear deck grills.

hope that helps. </TD></TR></TABLE>

"which i soon replaced with 6 1/2" speaks. "
- Did you have to cut some of the steel to fit those in?

"would suggest buying the factory speaker holders though"
- Do you mean the factory grills or did you really mean to refer to speaker holders? I was thinking I could just bolt the speakers up there and make sure they were sealed to the frame so they could operate. What are these "holders" for?

"check crutchfield or a haynes manual"
- lol when I asked at another forum what aftermarket manual would be best for me to get for my 92' Civic since it didn't come with one they said stay away from haynes... I want to shoot for a Civic Shop Manual and a Civic owner's manual but the shop manual costs like $62

- Any ideal where I should look to learn how to replace my deck as far as the procedure and tools needed?

I only can make like five replies per day so if at any point I stop replying for a while then thats prolly why.

Old 07-18-2004, 03:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok... I'm pretty sure the civics are all 5.25, at least the hatches are, and I doubt they would make the coupe different.

Installing a deck is easy. You'll need a bezel, a wiring harness, and the deck of course. With the wiring harness you just solder/tape/wire nut the wires coming out of the new deck to the wires on the wiring harness. The harness will tell you which wires need to go where on the harness, and the bottom or top of the new deck will have the diagram for the wires coming out of the deck itself.

I would go with 5 1/4 speakers. If you get decent 5 1/4 you won't notice &gt;that&lt; much of a difference from the 6 1/2, and you don't have to do anything to your car but put them on the mounts and hook up the to wires.

I would also recomend the stock speaker holders, and the plastic grills that you see on the interior if you don't have them. Which I doubt you do. It will make your job SO much easier to use the mounts from honda. Hell, go to a junkyard and pick some up.

Anyone know if teggys have the same mounts as the civics? If they are I might have to tear those out of the teggy at the local junkyard and sell them on here
Old 07-18-2004, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (Ajax)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ajax &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok... I'm pretty sure the civics are all 5.25, at least the hatches are, and I doubt they would make the coupe different.

Installing a deck is easy. You'll need a bezel, a wiring harness, and the deck of course. With the wiring harness you just solder/tape/wire nut the wires coming out of the new deck to the wires on the wiring harness. The harness will tell you which wires need to go where on the harness, and the bottom or top of the new deck will have the diagram for the wires coming out of the deck itself.

I would go with 5 1/4 speakers. If you get decent 5 1/4 you won't notice &gt;that&lt; much of a difference from the 6 1/2, and you don't have to do anything to your car but put them on the mounts and hook up the to wires.

I would also recomend the stock speaker holders, and the plastic grills that you see on the interior if you don't have them. Which I doubt you do. It will make your job SO much easier to use the mounts from honda. Hell, go to a junkyard and pick some up.

Anyone know if teggys have the same mounts as the civics? If they are I might have to tear those out of the teggy at the local junkyard and sell them on here </TD></TR></TABLE>

Mreh... junkyard.. I know nothing about these. I guess I am going to have to talk to my friend chris about engaging in such activites :-\

So I need both rear grills and speaker holders eh?

And when I asked about installing the deck i needed to know how to remove the current one lol, the connections I can handle but umm.. I am not sure what all I need to do to remove my current deck.
Old 07-18-2004, 04:53 PM

the rear deck pulls right out of the moulding, there may be a scew or two..i just took it right out and i'm not that mechanically inclinded.

you need either the factory grills from honda (or buy a deck with these already intalled from the junkyard), or you could use the covers that come with the speakers; thats what i did.. just don't sound as good as the factory speaker holders.

its easy you can do it yourself, hardest part is probably running the speaker wire (unless its already done, which it may be depending on car)
Old 07-22-2004, 11:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The speaker wire is there, I tested the connection. It's strong on the right channel but the left is weak for some reason.. so weak infact it's almost inaudiable. I'm thinking it's the current stock deck, I want to remove it and test the deck outside the car but I need a reverse harness, last time I worked on the stock deck outside the car it was bit of a pain because I had to directly solder the +12v line to the pad for the positive power lead but luckily I got away with just being able to attach the negitive lead to the frame of the radio.

I was trying to remove that rear deck today but there are these little white plastic things holding it in, I hit them out of their holes using the butt-end of a hammer but I am still having difficulties removing the deck lol.. Hopefully I'll get it out soon.

I am going to talk to my friend about going to the junkyard for the speaker holders and grills, he knows more about that stuff than I.

I also I am interested in removing the door panel and figuring out wtf those large 6" speakers are doing in there when I was told only 5.25" would fit :-\ This is getting crazy.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:26 PM

eh, just do it right, you'll have a good time. just pull off the door panels, you'll be able to tell what fits.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:34 AM

I just did this in my 92 Civic DX Sedan. I went to Circuit City and they guy swore to me that they were 5-1/4" all the way around, so I bought them. They were factory 6-1/2" in the front. Still haven't put the ones in the back yet...I'm going to try to get a factory deck cover with the speaker mounts/grills.

To remove the radio, I think you take the plastic off below the radio, and there are two screws that you take off and the radio slips out the front. That is with the factory deck, so if it is an aftermarket deck, whoever installed it may have mounted it differently.
Old 07-23-2004, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

go to the audio/security forum
Old 07-23-2004, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (tallblondkid)

try out crutchfield.com.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (perfectsquare)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by perfectsquare &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I just did this in my 92 Civic DX Sedan. I went to Circuit City and they guy swore to me that they were 5-1/4" all the way around, so I bought them. They were factory 6-1/2" in the front. Still haven't put the ones in the back yet...I'm going to try to get a factory deck cover with the speaker mounts/grills.

To remove the radio, I think you take the plastic off below the radio, and there are two screws that you take off and the radio slips out the front. That is with the factory deck, so if it is an aftermarket deck, whoever installed it may have mounted it differently.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yeah I know how to remove the radio. A couple online guides avalible.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SolObsession &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">try out crutchfield.com.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Try em out for what? Directions on installing the rear speaker? I'll look into that.
Old 07-23-2004, 03:44 PM

Crutchfield usually has decent prices. If you want instructions go to the install dr...forgot the URL.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker size, Deck seeking and installation (SolObsession)

Decent prices on what? lol Speakers?

Well those I already have my resources for, right now I am interested in getting the brackets and grills
Old 07-28-2004, 08:30 AM

if you buy the factory honda speaker holders to mount on the deck you don't use the grills that come with the speaker. you could just mount the speakers to the deck and use the grills, but the sound quality/look will not be the same.

i have 5 1/4" speakers in the front of my 92 CX and they were also in the front of my 93 dx (6 1/2"s with small magnets would probably fit --i believe tahts what came stock). Get the factory speaker holder, then buy the rear speakers, then you won't have any trouble buying the wrong size. They're most likely 6.5" though.