Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Speaker electrical short?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 04:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker electrical short?

This question is for my 99 SI w/ an aftermarket head unit. The weather stripping got a little f()cked up when my window de-tracked a bunch of times before. No water typically comes in unless I am running the car through a really high pressure touchless car wash. However, when it rains (or after a car wash) I hear what sounds like static coming from the driver's side tweeter (the side with the messed up weather stripping). Then after the static my radio cuts out and all the speakers stop working, while the head unit display shows that it is still playing music. So if I "bump" the door with my fist the music comes back on for a couple minutes (at best) and then goes back out. A good amount of time after the rain stops the speakers stop doing that ****.

What is going on here? Is this a electrical short in the tweeter (it seems weird that a fuse wouldn't pop if that was the case)?

What should I do about this? -- I don't want to replace the weather stripping because that's a huge piece of rubber that runs around the window and down the track (and hence, probably really expensive and a pain in the *** to replace).
Old 10-23-2009, 05:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Speaker electrical short?

umm speaker wire will not blow a fuse. and its prob a loose connection on the speaker wire somewhere that is actually real easy to find and or fix. take speaker out and see if connections are tight.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

that rubber thing isn't bad to replace, I've done it a few times, honda makes terrible window regulators... it is pricey from them, get one at a junk yard

a lose connection at your tweeter would only effect your tweeter, not your whole stereo, are you sure the rain thing isn't a coincidence?
Old 10-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by D Griff
that rubber thing isn't bad to replace, I've done it a few times, honda makes terrible window regulators... it is pricey from them, get one at a junk yard

a lose connection at your tweeter would only effect your tweeter, not your whole stereo, are you sure the rain thing isn't a coincidence?
It's possible, but it only seems to happen when it rains (although I think it might have did it a couple times when it wasn't raining).

So what's causing the whole stereo to stop working (i.e. all the speakers to stop putting out sound while the head unit is still going), and start working when I punch my door?
Old 10-23-2009, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 10-24-2009, 12:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anybody know what's up with my stereo?... Not sure if it makes any difference but wiring for the speaker in my door came loose before and I taped it so the wiring couldn't come off. The last time one of the wires popped off (for the speaker in my door that I taped) that speaker just didn't work but the rest of the stereo still kept working, so I don't think the problem is just a loose wire on the tweeter.