Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spastic Idle & Stalling Issues - HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spastic Idle & Stalling Issues - HELP!!

Okay, I've had these problems for a while now because, frankly, I'm too broke to pour money into my car every time it does something weird. Driving a '93 delSol with the 5.1ltr engine, according to Autozone. If you need any more information, let me know and I'll find out.

I ghetto-rigged a cold air intake onto the stock plastic pipes for the air box, and I think that's what started all of my problems. It was fine for a while, and about six months later, it started idling funny. When my engine was cold and I started it up, it would idle extremely high (around 4k) and eventually drop down to around 1k. After it did that for a while (something that wasn't good for my car, but I could live with it), it went from idling really high to starting consistantly high (around 4k) and bouncing between 4k and 1k until the engine warmed up.

A year or so later (yes, I'm that broke), and it does it all the time now (unless I'm driving and not coasting down the road). When I spoke to a few Honda mechanics in the restaurant one night, they said it sounded like the Fast Idle, but they weren't sure.

New issues as of last week: my car will randomly stall. When the weather changes drastically, I've had problems with it starting for over a year now until my car seems to "get used to the temperature changes" and then it will start fine. This year the problem seems more drastic and different. It's been having mild difficulties starting (it will turn over more than usual before starting and sometimes squeal as though the engine is running too fast right when it starts) but sometimes lately it won't start at all. I'll have a CEL for a few seconds and when it goes away, my car will start.

Now it's decided to start stalling while I'm at a stoplight or when I'm in first gear about to change to second. It won't start again until the CEL goes away, and even then it idles bouncing between 1k and 2.5k - or lower (which seems to make my car get in a temporary cycle of stalling unless there's nobody in front of me and I can rev the engine a little). A friend said it sounded like spark plugs. They didn't have any at the parts place tonight so I'll have to wait for the morning for others to open, but the guy at the counter suggested changing spark plugs, spark plug wires, and fuel filter. (My question here: will it help my problem, or do you all think it's something else?)

The idle is obnoxious but I can live with it as long as it isn't what's causing the stalling issues. Those aren't exactly safe.

Other known possible issues: my 3rd gear synchro is going, so I skip third gear almost constantly. Potential culprit of the stalling problems while driving? I desperately need an oil change, I know this. It'll come when money does. (ha~!) The honda mechanics said the issue with it not starting when the weather changes sounded like a Main Relay and if I smack the dash board in front of the passenger seat, it should help my car to start if it's causing me problems. The smacking the dash thing seemed to work last winter, but I don't know if it's gotten worse and that's the cause of my problems.

I did a search of the forums for idle but as that isn't really what concerns me (although I think it's probably why I'm stalling), I'm at a loss for where exactly to go from here. I'm on the eat-or-fix-car budget, so anything I fix needs to be direly necessary, rather than just replacing random parts to see if that corrects the problem. The CEL only comes on for a few seconds, only recently, and only right when it stalls, so I'm not sure it'll even be on long enough for me to be able to check it.

So, anyway: help!
Old 10-01-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Spastic Idle & Stalling Issues - HELP!! (Xxtayce)

check the tps sensor connection mine did the same thing when it was loose.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spastic Idle & Stalling Issues - HELP!! (93egB16A)

put it back to stock and then buy a real intake..
Old 10-01-2007, 10:12 PM

Default Re: Spastic Idle & Stalling Issues - HELP!!

I'll have to check tps connections when there's enough light outside. Thanks! Is that just for the idle or the stalling problems as well?

I don't have the stock air box. Besides, what would be the point if I was just going to swap out for a metal pipe, as that's the only difference between my intake and a "real" one?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:22 PM

tps connections good.

changed the spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap. didn't make a difference.

tried changing the fuel filter, but one of the connections wouldn't budge and we couldn't get it off. any advice? i was in 5th gear driving 65mph with my foot on the gas earlier today when it stalled out.

i'm at a loss on what to do. help!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 09:59 PM

Finally got the fuel filter changed and put some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank, but still stalls. Any ideas?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:05 AM

^bump

No CEL still except for right before and when it stalls.

Any suggestions on how to check for vacuum leaks in the air intake system? I don't want to spray windex or something onto the hoses only to find out that I'm f-ing up my car even more.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:21 PM

... it was my distributor.
Thanks for the "help".
Old 10-18-2007, 08:22 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Xxtayce &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">... it was my distributor.
Thanks for the "help".</TD></TR></TABLE>
if you dont like our "help" dont ask for it.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:40 PM

You're actually the only one who offered real help! It was the sarcastic comment from the other guy, and the no response from everyone else who seems to tote themselves as experts that bugged me.
Old 10-18-2007, 08:48 PM

aite man.... it just struck me wrong i guess.
Old 10-19-2007, 09:12 AM

Sorry I came across that way!
(PS: I'm a chick... "man" =p )