Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spark plug wire keep poping out of cylinder NEED HELP!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:26 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug wire keep poping out of cylinder NEED HELP!

I have a 94 civic ex and the spark plug wires keeps poping out while i drive. And when that happen the idle is ****ing nasty. NEED HELP ASAP.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Spark plug wire keep poping out of cylinder NEED HELP!

put the spark plug back in? there's no other reason for a plug wire to "pop" out unless you aren't pushing it down to the clip. or you have the wrong wire.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:10 PM
318 Curves, 11 miles

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure your plugs are tightened down, and that they all have the washers? They shouldn't be very tight at all, but if they're too loose, I could see compression escaping into the plugwells and pushing the boots up.

Could be your wire is effed up too.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the spark plug seals on the head are bad the compression stroke will blow by the spark plug and push your plug boots out. Happened on my D16Y8 a lot, never bothered to fix it, but it didn't affect my idle so I didn't worry about it.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Change out the spark plug wires or get some needle nose and squeeze the clip more together. When you do that it will give a tighter grip on the spark plug. But i would over all replace them.
Old 12-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am having the same problem with mine. How would I go about replacing the seals around the plugs?
Old 12-21-2009, 05:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

maybe positive crankcase pressure is getting past the spark plug tube seals in the valve cover and then causing the plug wire to pop out? its a stretch but you never know
Old 12-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

tighten the spark plugs and tighten valve cover... is the pcv hose from intake to valve cover connectd?
Old 01-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The aftermarket wires that I bought were just a hair too short so I pulled the wires through the seal and then tightened them down on the plug until I heard each once pop. I also took the valve cover off and replaced the gaskets including the valve cover gasket and the spark plug seals. I haven't had a problem since.
Old 01-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay-replacing any of the above items is a piece of cake with the right parts, and a little patience. All of the above causes sound possible, so I would go through and check every one. Check you pcv valve and hose to make sure they're attached and tight, then check your spark plugs to make sure they're tight and correct. As for your plug wires, I would check to make sure there is a bit of slack in each one-a common problem with aftermarket wires is that they don't leave enough slack as the OEM Honda wires have, so they fit pretty snug, which is hard on the connections on the inside of the wire because of the angular stress exerted. Replacing the spark plug tube seals is a piece of cake as well, and it also gives you an excellent chance to inspect the inside of your cylinder head firsthand. All you need is a basic tool set, a valve cover gasket set INCLUDING spark plug tube seals, and some RTV silicone/Hondabond. Just take the valve cover off, carefully remove the old gasket and tube seals, clean with solvent (I like brake cleaner myself-cleans well, leaves no residue) and after I've gotten both the underside of the valve cover as well as the mating surface on the top of the cylinder head, I put the gasket in place on the edge of the valve cover. Make sure to apply a bit of RTV (room-temperature vulcanizing silicone-it's different than standard silicone, it's meant to handle the extremes of an automotive engine) or Hondabond to the corners of the gasket, both on top and bottom of the gasket, and especially to the edges of where the half-moon cut out for the camshaft on either side goes, as this is where most I have seen leak from. After that, just CAREFULLY lower the valve cover into place, then tighten the bolts down securing the valve cover using a criss-cross pattern to evenly seat the valve cover down properly, and VOILA!!!! No more leaking!!! I would strongly recommend investing in a decent Haynes manual for all the information you'll need for future repairs. Or, if you've got some extra cash, try a Helms manual. They're very informative, and very thorough. Hope this helps!!!! Best of luck to you guys.
Old 01-09-2010, 04:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i agree ^
Old 10-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i'm glad I seen this thread the same thing has been happening to me everytime I drive my 89 sedan d15b2 the exact same plug too I just changed my plugs not so long ago and I guess I didn't tighten them enough today im going to re gap and tighten them right....