Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

spark plug socket stuck need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I'm a Jackass

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug socket stuck need help

i recently got my car turboed. It was runnign well till today i notice it took the second time to crank my car. then it acted like it wanted to die. well i was waiting for my friend at the movie theater, i was driving and all of a sudden my car dies. i start it up it cranks turns on then turns right off. so then i check to see if its my fuel pump but i heard it. so i thought the spark plugs. as i was installing the first one it didnt seem it picked up the spark plug because i was trying to untighten the plug but nothing. then i slowly broght it up and the extension bar came out but the spark plug socket stayed. so i kept rotating the the spark plug socket but it was just turning and i pulled up, still didnt come out. i even bought super glue glued the extension bar to the socket waited 40 min and try to pull it out..still nothing. so i went and bought 11inch needle nose pliers and tried pulling it out. NO dice! Any one else ever do this? What else should i try. I towed the car to a mechanic place. but rather not deal with taking it to someone else to do it while i can try myself. thanks

btw i bought another spark plug socket replaced the others. no problem.
Old 02-25-2007, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: spark plug socket stuck need help (bobafreaklx)

maybe the last person/mechanic that popped in the new spark plugs over-torqued that one and now it's impossible to get out.. how loose is it?
Old 02-26-2007, 06:02 AM
I'm a Jackass

well it doesent seem like the spark plug is on it when i took the pliers to it i was able to twirl the socket and by looking dead center at the spark it didnt move
Old 02-26-2007, 07:12 AM

Default Re: (bobafreaklx)

i had a problem similar to yours .. but it invloved the sparkplugs not even turning ... i had to put a piece of PVC pipe to extend the wrachet arm . and it finnaly started to move but very slowly and with a **** load of struggle. when i finally got it out half the plug was stripped ...i was like WTF !!! ?

gay ... but your wont evern come out and its lose right ?

you might have to pull the head .. to see whats going on ..

-goodluck-
Old 02-26-2007, 07:19 AM

get a plug socket that has a hex on the side where the square drive goes in. them make sure that socket is on the plug. get another socket that fits on the end of the first and crank it out with a rachet. also, are you sure your plug socket is deep enough?
Old 02-26-2007, 07:23 AM

i had a toyota pickup that had mud down around the spark plugs because i had been off roading. this didn't allow me to get the socket onto the plug. shine a light down and see if theres something keeping you from getting the sokcet on. i had to dig at that mud with a screw driver the blow it out with air. i'm not saying it's mud but there could be something else down there.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrm, if you're saying it's spinning while grabbing the plug it's obviously stripped.

If it's stripped pull the head.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

2x that!
Old 02-27-2007, 06:53 AM
I'm a Jackass

Default Re: (turb20_vtec)

no it wasnt stripped i went and took it out the next morning. turned out the socket was used and returned to autozone becuase when i took it out there was a peice in there that took up half of the socket which caused it to stick on the actual spark plug in the block. I used my other socket and replaced the old spark plug. Everything is fine now. Thanks.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bobafreaklx)

well that's good!