Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sparco harness bar question

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 06:59 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sparco harness bar question

I just found a good price on a sparco harness bar that bolts into the b pillar(seat belt bolt points) on the civic.......but they only have them listed for 92-95 hatchbacks and coupes.....the problem is i have a 98 hatch......does anybody know if this bar will fit my car?.......
Old 09-24-2005, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sparco harness bar question (purple98ek)

it will probably not fit without modification....

this product is completely useless in my opinion. If you are tracking your car then you should get a 4 point cage at a minimum and if you are going for the showkaa stunnah option and looking to install some 3 point harnesses for your APC or whatever knockoffs you are interested in or have, you need to just use the stock seat belt and give it up.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:32 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Sparco harness bar question (DirtySol)

actually, i thought it acted as a chassis stiffener between the b pillars......i dont have a show car and could care less about looks.........one good thing is that it has an optional camera mount on it for some autox footage
Old 09-24-2005, 07:35 PM
e9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it will probably not fit without modification....
this product is completely useless in my opinion. If you are tracking your car then you should get a 4 point cage at a minimum and if you are going for the showkaa stunnah option and looking to install some 3 point harnesses for your APC or whatever knockoffs you are interested in or have, you need to just use the stock seat belt and give it up.</TD></TR></TABLE>

and what do you base this on ?

just curious because in a track realted roll ver the A pilar is usually the most comprimised which makes the 4 point useless, and unlike a roll bar many harness bars allow you to use your stock seat belts and switch to harnesses for track days where you would use a 4 ~ 5 point not a 3 point which is for cars that don't have a roll bar.

Another thing is they dramtically strengthen the chaisis as well and by tying together 2 points instead of using 1 the actually restraint mounting is stronger.

Just a word of caution the SCCA knows more than you about safety and the versions that say IO Port racing uses are not only legal but recommended even for auto x days
Old 09-24-2005, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sparco harness bar question (e9)

I am stating this as knowledge from experience.

I am an I-CAR certified welder that is legal to make FIA approved cages via the MIG and TIG welding processes. I know that the 4 point that I am referring to is WAY safer and WAY more effective to chassis stiffness than a stupid harness bar. I have made some seriously badass harness bars for Porsche GT3 owners along with Porsche Turbo owners and a few other cars including some 944 turbo's, and not one has been nearly as effective as the 4 point cocpit surrounding cage

The 4 point that I am referring to is the ones where it runs along the A-pillar and runs along the B-pillar surrounding the driving compartment. Usually they have bolt on or weld on harness bars that are WAY stronger than a harness bar that attaches via two bolts under the seat belt mount (which also compromises the integrity of the bolts themselves)

I know a lot more about race cars than you know fella......after all I have built Grand Am Rolex Cup cars for a living and stilll continue to do so to this very day.
Old 09-24-2005, 07:49 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

the sparco bar i am looking at mounts to 4 points....the upper and lower seat belt mounting bolts........i am sure that a 4 or 6 point cage is superior but it is also more expensive and this is my daily driver and occasional weekend ripper......so, you dont think it will fit my car ?
Old 09-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

probably not

A cage can be had for less than 300 bux
Old 09-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.kirkracing.com
Old 09-24-2005, 08:04 PM
e9

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DirtySol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am stating this as knowledge from experience.

I am an I-CAR certified welder that is legal to make FIA approved cages via the MIG and TIG welding processes. I know that the 4 point that I am referring to is WAY safer and WAY more effective to chassis stiffness than a stupid harness bar. I have made some seriously badass harness bars for Porsche GT3 owners along with Porsche Turbo owners and a few other cars including some 944 turbo's, and not one has been nearly as effective as the 4 point cocpit surrounding cage

The 4 point that I am referring to is the ones where it runs along the A-pillar and runs along the B-pillar surrounding the driving compartment. Usually they have bolt on or weld on harness bars that are WAY stronger than a harness bar that attaches via two bolts under the seat belt mount (which also compromises the integrity of the bolts themselves)

I know a lot more about race cars than you know fella......after all I have built Grand Am Rolex Cup cars for a living and stilll continue to do so to this very day.</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn thats alot of bullshit - lets open a poll to see what people refer to as a 4 point roll bar - 99% are going to say auto power ect and none of those surround the driver - second of all a roll bar like that won't be legal for **** since it will most likely fold over in a serious collision which is why auto power and every other spec 4 point uses to rea diagonals to the rear floor boards to support the main hoop.

Then you go on to say you built harness bars for porsches - okay so what there like inferior for the almighty honda - right

You just got out of school like what 3 months ago during which you were butt as poor as I recall from your past posts so some OG living there.

As far as knowing more than me well when I was 16 I was sent to aprentice on the BASF ATCC team and I'm 26 now so I've been involved with race cars for over 10 years now. The fact I've owned more cars with cages then you've built on top of the fact I'm currently building one for Honda Cup in 06 I'll stick to my oppinion

Old 09-24-2005, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=purple98ekbut they only have them listed for 92-95 hatchbacks and coupes.....the problem is i have a 98 hatch......does anybody know if this bar will fit my car?.......[/QUOTE]

The harness bar that Sparco has, the application is for 92-00 Civics

Yes, it'll work.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:13 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: Sparco harness bar question (Marauder)

http://www.speedwaremotorsport....here is the link........it only says 92-95 civic......thats why i was asking.......
Old 09-24-2005, 08:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

http://www.speedwaremotorsport...r.asp my bad......here is the correct link......
Old 09-25-2005, 06:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't know Sparco had an old style harness bar.....but I don't see how if their new one fits 92-00 why would the old style only fit 92-95??

hmmmm...
Old 09-25-2005, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Sparco harness bar question (Marauder)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by e9 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

damn thats alot of bullshit - lets open a poll to see what people refer to as a 4 point roll bar - 99% are going to say auto power ect and none of those surround the driver - second of all a roll bar like that won't be legal for **** since it will most likely fold over in a serious collision which is why auto power and every other spec 4 point uses to rea diagonals to the rear floor boards to support the main hoop.</TD></TR></TABLE>
you are correct about most cages having a diagonal brace and I was actually referring to a 5pt which consists of the main cage and a diagonal bar (which I was not including in the count.......heck you even referred to it as a 4~5 point)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Then you go on to say you built harness bars for porsches - okay so what there like inferior for the almighty honda - right</TD></TR></TABLE>

I never said such thing.....just stating what I have done and what I have learned from my experiences.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
You just got out of school like what 3 months ago during which you were butt as poor as I recall from your past posts so some OG living there.</TD></TR></TABLE>

It has been quite a bit longer than that and I have been around Crafstman Truck series vehicles for MANY MANY years. I have quite a bit more knowledge than you think. Why do you think I was able to get a job in a G. A. Cup shop / W.C. Cup. I am far from lacking knowledge and have built more cars than you can even imagine me building.

But c'mon man, who really cares......I don't care how many cars that you have built and I am sure that you don't care about my expereinces or cars that I have built. I was just stating my views and opinions (based on my experiences) on harness bars and how useless they are for the money.....especially when a complete bolt in cage can be had for not much more (and I am almost positive that you are familiar with the cost of a cage)