Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Spacers? Yes or no? Which ones? Where?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers? Yes or no? Which ones? Where?

Here's the gist of things. I don't have any pictures for referential purposes, so I'll use found pictures of other 99-00 Civic coupes.

I'm looking to get spacers for the front and rear. They will go on Si wheels, to push them out closer to the fender edge - as I do not like the gap between the edge of the fender and the outer edge of the wheel (see pictures for referential purposes).

Now, my coupe is dropped on Tein SS coilover, tucked by about a finger in the front, and a 1.5 finger gap in the rear.

Is it a good idea to space out the wheels or not?

If so, what size spacers should I get for the front? What size spacers should I get for the rear?

Who makes good spacers? And where can they be purchased?

Pictures for reference:

-Coupes with stock wheels with the "gap" I'm talking about:

-Coupes with aftermarket wheels, with no "gap" - what I'm looking to accomplish with the spacers:

Old 12-15-2005, 08:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Spacers? Yes or no? Which ones? Where? (.::miLan)

You might try the wheel and tire forum to get opinions from all honda owners as well.

And one of the downsides of spacers is that if you push it out more you will wear your bearings down quicker. Might need longer studs as well.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if youre gonna get a spacer, dont get the spacer that you just place between your hub and the wheel and bolt your wheel back on (this leads to problems with wheel bearings). instead, get the spacer that you have to use your original lugs to bolt on the spacer, then bolt your wheels onto the spacer. theyre about 80 bucks a pair. ebay has them all over.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dc2vu)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2vu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre gonna get a spacer, dont get the spacer that you just place between your hub and the wheel and bolt your wheel back on (this leads to problems with wheel bearings). instead, get the spacer that you have to use your original lugs to bolt on the spacer, then bolt your wheels onto the spacer. theyre about 80 bucks a pair. ebay has them all over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I am pretty sure you will get bearing problems either way. Spacers change the centre of pressure of the wheel and cause a moment on the wheel bearing.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2vu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">if youre gonna get a spacer, dont get the spacer that you just place between your hub and the wheel and bolt your wheel back on (this leads to problems with wheel bearings). instead, get the spacer that you have to use your original lugs to bolt on the spacer, then bolt your wheels onto the spacer. theyre about 80 bucks a pair. ebay has them all over.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Any pictures of these spacers?

Also, if the spacer is a mere 5 - 10mm, would it cause extensive damage to the bearing?
Old 12-15-2005, 08:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old man neri)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old man neri &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I am pretty sure you will get bearing problems either way. Spacers change the centre of pressure of the wheel and cause a moment on the wheel bearing.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you may be right, ive read somewhere (i forget where) that the info i put down above is correct, but who knows.

original poster: search ebay
Old 12-15-2005, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Don't buy the Ebay spacers!

I had a guy come into today with an ebay spacer and all the lug nuts had sheered off.

Upon closer inspection, I realized the lug nuts were ALUMINUM!

Old 12-15-2005, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Jonathan_ED3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jonathan_ED3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't buy the Ebay spacers!

I had a guy come into today with an ebay spacer and all the lug nuts had sheered off.

Upon closer inspection, I realized the lug nuts were ALUMINUM! </TD></TR></TABLE>

Damn someone should be shot for using alumunum lug nuts. They prob said its light weight or some bs. Anyways why would you compramise reliablity just so your wheels stick out more. Why not just buy some wheels with a lower offset...
Old 12-15-2005, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dc2vu &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you may be right, ive read somewhere (i forget where) that the info i put down above is correct, but who knows.

original poster: search ebay</TD></TR></TABLE>

You also may be right in the fact that those spacers you talk about are worse for the wheel bearing issues. I am only useing my experiance with theory and science to explain the problem.

But it sounds like the kind you mentioned is a better product.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Allright. Bad idea then.

I'll live with the little gap there is. It's not that big of a deal.

Thank you all for the quick input. It's appreciated.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (.::miLan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .::miLan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Allright. Bad idea then.

I'll live with the little gap there is. It's not that big of a deal.

Thank you all for the quick input. It's appreciated. </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have been driving with smaller offset rims for about a year now (30000KM) and i have yet to see any bearing problems. here is a pic of my stick out.

(the server is **** that hosts this, it might take some time)
Old 12-15-2005, 10:05 PM

couldnt you just get a camber kit to fix it? besides your tires would last longer that way anyway.

someone correct me if i'm wrong
Old 12-15-2005, 10:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (untitledsn41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untitledsn41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">couldnt you just get a camber kit to fix it? besides your tires would last longer that way anyway.

someone correct me if i'm wrong</TD></TR></TABLE>

Talking to me? I have no need to want to fix that problem, kinda on purpose. the camber is fine and my tires have lasted quite some time now.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

camber refers to more the "tilt" of the tires if you will. He is talking about more of a distance when the wheel is at a right angle, in reference to vertical.
Old 12-16-2005, 02:33 PM

Default Re: (jadugartir)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jadugartir &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">camber refers to more the "tilt" of the tires if you will. He is talking about more of a distance when the wheel is at a right angle, in reference to vertical.</TD></TR></TABLE>
gotcha, thanks
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ yeah, but getting a camber kit will help your "gap" and lessen tire wear. those first two cars dont have camber kits. get them they will help with your "gap" and then you can get the spacers and attain the look you want..

edit: i still dont think that spacers are good.. your bearings will go a lot faster.