Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Source for OEM Carpet?

Old 01-03-2014, 07:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Source for OEM Carpet?

Does anyone know where I can get OEM carpet? I tried some of the websites and they are all back-ordered. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's for a 1998 4 door civic.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Source for OEM Carpet?

Try STOCKINTERIORS on eBay. Not stock but great fitting very stock look.
Old 01-03-2014, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

local classified's...look for ppl parting out their cars or you can get lucky and find one at the junk yard in good condition.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got mine in the junk yard
Old 01-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I bought carpet from this guy...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1996-2000-HO...-/331097335893

And it was absolutely awful! It is stamped to fit the contours in the floor, but not very well. Its rolled up in the packaging so those contours really need to be pushed out again to come close to a nice fit. Secondly, it is not cut to fit at all. It is just one oversized chunk of carpet that needs to be cut to fit. Also, all the holes for your shifter, e-brake, dead pedal, etc, need to be cut out as well. This is much more difficult than it sounds, trust me. After spending hours trying to trim it to fit, I just was not happy with any part of this product and ended up throwing it away and putting my OEM carpet back in. Big waste of money.

Overall, I highly recommend you buy OEM or used carpet for your car and save yourself from the huge headache.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by integrainside

And it was absolutely awful! It is stamped to fit the contours in the floor, but not very well. Its rolled up in the packaging so those contours really need to be pushed out again to come close to a nice fit. Secondly, it is not cut to fit at all. It is just one oversized chunk of carpet that needs to be cut to fit. Also, all the holes for your shifter, e-brake, dead pedal, etc, need to be cut out as well. This is much more difficult than it sounds, trust me. After spending hours trying to trim it to fit, I just was not happy with any part of this product and ended up throwing it away and putting my OEM carpet back in. Big waste of money.

Overall, I highly recommend you buy OEM or used carpet for your car and save yourself from the huge headache.
^^^This is what I have read which is why I am looking for oem. I was trying get a new carpet but I guess I will have to try the junk yards/Craigslist. Thanks guys
Old 01-04-2014, 07:07 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Originally Posted by integrainside

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what happens when someone that has absolutely no clue what they're doing reviews a product.

First off, ANY replacement carpet you order will come rolled up in a tube. That's how everyone ships it. You're supposed to take it out of the tube and leave it sitting somewhere flat and warm, like your living room floor, for a minimum 24 hours. WARM. Your cold garage floor won't cut it. Let it sit there until it's settled, all of the wrinkles are gone, and it looks like it would fit in your floor pan. Do yourself a favor while it's out of the car, treat it with some 3M interior/carpet protector as well. It's a LOT easier to do outside of the car.

Second off, MOST replacement carpets won't be cut at all. You need a good, high quality carpet knife, some upholstery or seamster's chalk, and you'll save yourself a LOT of time if you get some high quality upholstery shears as well. With the right tools, and the right procedure, it's stupidly easy.

Third and finally, the procedure. This is unarguably the most important part of replacing your carpet. If you just start guessing and cutting, you're going to ruin your new carpet. Even if you pull out a tape measure and measure your cuts, you're going to ruin your new carpet. This should be common sense, but if you don't think, or if you try to over-complicate things, you won't figure this one out. Take the old carpet and lay it on top of the new carpet. Make sure all of the creases and seams sit in each other - the old carpet should sit right "in" the new carpet. Remember that chalk I told you to buy earlier? Use it to mark an X where there are holes in the original carpet. That means the hole for your shifter, any mounting points for your seats and seat belts, and anywhere else that there is a hole or cut in the carpet. Now run a basic outline around the outside of your original carpet, keeping the outline about an inch away from the original carpet. Once you're sure you've marked off everything, lift the original carpet off your new carpet. Cut on the outside line with your carpet knife or upholstery shears. Cut all of the X's you made with your chalk. Don't make holes, just cut the X's. The only exception is the hole for your shifter - cut the X, then cut a circle just big enough for your shifter assembly (including the rubber boot) to fit through the holes. Finish pushing your new carpet up into the cracks and creases, bolt in your seats, bolt in your plastics, and you're done.

That is the correct procedure for installing a new carpet.

That being said, I bought my carpet from this guy on eBay for my current car. I've also installed carpets for friends who have ordered from Stockinteriors.com. At the end of the day, it's the same product. OEM carpet has been discontinued, so you most likely won't be able to find it new.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:50 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice instructions^

While we're on the subject on interiors, has anyone ever found a good quality replica OEM style floor mats for Honda's that isn't ridiculously priced? Looking for a set for my wifes 01 CRV since her's didn't come with all of them when we bought it.