Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sounds like water in a tub around corners

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sounds like water in a tub around corners

Hey all!

I have a "Honda CIVIC CRX 1992" but it is essentially exactly the same car as a Del Sol.

So I've got this really strange problem. When I go around a corner, it sounds like the trunk is half filled with water. There's this sloshing sound, like water in a tub. I've checked the trunk, the spare wheel compartment and the mechanism that lifts the trunk: All dry.

I'm in South Africa, and the Del Sol is not supported here at all, and was never sold here. So the dealers here know nothing about the car. I took the car to my trusty mechanic, but he also couldn't tell where the water is.

Could someone please tell me where the water is trapped, and how to get it out? It sounds like a LOT of water!

Once I get the water out, I'll probably need to change some seals. That will be interresting, as I'll have to import them... Any advise in this regard will also be much appreciated!

Thx!

Old 10-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Fuel tank? Duh.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:42 AM

Default Re: (4door_demon)

bump for a funny question. Has to be the fuel tank lol
Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: (Snoopa Loop)

If your car is exactly like the Del Sol it could be that you are talking about the drain for the back window. It is in the slot that the window goes down in and it lets the water drain out. It can get clogged up over time. If you go to teamdelsol.com there is a how-to on cleaning it out. That might be causing your water problem.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (SRCivic97)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SRCivic97 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If your car is exactly like the Del Sol it could be that you are talking about the drain for the back window. It is in the slot that the window goes down in and it lets the water drain out. It can get clogged up over time. If you go to teamdelsol.com there is a how-to on cleaning it out. That might be causing your water problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
This guy is right.

My friend's old del sol was like this. It was the drain plug. It was clogged so he had a tank of water back there.
What a way to add weight to the already heavy car.

What you need to tell your passenger is that it's your gas tank and that they should be very affraid of getting rear ended.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: (SRCivic97)

SR'S THE MAN!
Old 10-19-2005, 02:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

4door_demon, Snoopa Loop:
Duh yourself! I've had the car for 8 years. I think I would have noticed if it was there before!

Perhaps you should spend less time making fun of other people's questions, and more time reading real information from people like SRCivic97. Could be that your car has a similar problem, and you just assume it's the gas in the tank, until your car rusts to peices from the inside out (just an example).

Now go and read SRCivic97's post, and follow his link, and then take a moment to think about your post...

SRCivic97, HyBriDcxR: Thank you very much for the information. Your posts have saved me incredible amounts of time, instead of wasting my time like some other posts do. Thank you!!
Old 10-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThisIsNotMe)

Today I opened the whole area behind the seats according to the instructions on http://www.TeamDelSol.com (Information -&gt; How To -&gt; "Rear Window Drain Blockage fix"). Such a mission!! But now I've cleaned everything back there, fitted new speakers, got rid of some rattles... Nice feeling!

The reason for the blockage was quite clear: Some years back, the rear window broke. I had it replaced by our local window auto-glass company. As it turns out, they never removed all the glass. So the two drain pipes where packed with small peices of broken glass. So if anyone has that window replaced, make sure they remove all the glass! Will save you a lot of effort later!

I have replaced the battery, and they could see that there is still something draining the power from the battery even if everything is switched off. So I doubt if it was the water that was touching live wires there that was the problem. Seems like the battery problem is a seperate issue that just happened to happen at the same time as the water issue. It might still be water somewhere else though, 'cause the battery problem started after some heavy rains. Ideas?

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the water in the rear window compartment is not what caused the battery drain. Hopefully this information can help others.

Thx for the help!!
Old 10-20-2005, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ThisIsNotMe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThisIsNotMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Today I opened the whole area behind the seats according to the instructions on http://www.TeamDelSol.com (Information -&gt; How To -&gt; "Rear Window Drain Blockage fix"). Such a mission!! But now I've cleaned everything back there, fitted new speakers, got rid of some rattles... Nice feeling!

The reason for the blockage was quite clear: Some years back, the rear window broke. I had it replaced by our local window auto-glass company. As it turns out, they never removed all the glass. So the two drain pipes where packed with small peices of broken glass. So if anyone has that window replaced, make sure they remove all the glass! Will save you a lot of effort later!

I have replaced the battery, and they could see that there is still something draining the power from the battery even if everything is switched off. So I doubt if it was the water that was touching live wires there that was the problem. Seems like the battery problem is a seperate issue that just happened to happen at the same time as the water issue. It might still be water somewhere else though, 'cause the battery problem started after some heavy rains. Ideas?

Anyway, I think it's safe to say that the water in the rear window compartment is not what caused the battery drain. Hopefully this information can help others.

Thx for the help!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah I was being a dick. Glad you found out what the problem was. Dont own a Sol, but I hear my tank slosh all the time when its getting low on gas.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (4door_demon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ThisIsNotMe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Thx for the help!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Only thing I can think of would be the alternator. Being that it's one of the electrical components in the car the really heavy rain may have gotten to it. The only time I've ever had battery issues was when my alternator went bad, but to be honest I'm not totally sure. Someone else confirm/correct me for this guy please?
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SovXietday)

SovXietday: Thx for the post. That was my first thought also, but I had it tested, and the alternator is 100%.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:16 PM

good stuff man
Old 10-20-2005, 02:31 PM

Default Re: (Hatchbizzle00)

yeah i admit i was being a dick also. It just sounded so funny that the immediate thing that pops in your head is the gas you know