Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Sometimes, god hates you: LS motor + blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP. LS motor billowing blue smoke, wont stay running

as you may be able to see in your profile, ive had several motors in my car recenlty, all of which havent lasted util the first oil change...and the sad thing is its not my fault.

original D16 was ragged out by previous dumbass that owned the car. died after a couple months, so i said its time to swap.

b16 randomly threw a rod. Stock, fresh from HMO, etc.

so i put a new bottom end on...two weeks later the timing belt breaks because of a rock (my cover was broken)

my friends feel sorry for me and give me an LS for cheap. I get a distributor after waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting to have a decent car, put it on, get it to start and it runs for alittle while at high rpms (2500-ish give or atake a few hundred) and shuts off. I start it up again, and it runs for just a second, then shuts off. i tried a couple times, and when i start it and hold the gas down, it does alright but then BAM shuts off. so i get out once again to look everything over, and i cant see across the garage from all the smoke. pull the oil cap: smoke. check oil again, its fine. coolant: fine. im losing it. its like ive been working on my car for half a year, put 10k into a 3k car, and what do i have ? a piece of **** in a garage that never runs. the motor sat wrapped up in a tarp for a while. before it was put in the tarp, howver, it ran STRONG. (i know the guy)

im running a b16 ECU (pretty usre thats not it, others have them), b16 fuel rail, Throttle body, injectors,transmission, etc. Also, i broke the PCV valve thats stuck in the IM above the breather box, but i got a replacement one from Oreilieys for an integra LS, so it should be fine, and wouldnt cause such a problem. The valves need to be adjusted, but my main concern is a lot of both ticking and squeaking, and i dont guess its knocking (it doesnt sound like when i threw a rod). Im sure that sitting in a garage doesnt cause a motor to throw a rod (last time i checked that wasnt stresful ) or anything, so what could it be, and does blue smoke+shutting off = screwed ?

Modified by daklown at 8:44 AM 4/22/2004
Old 04-22-2004, 05:23 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

for the love of god someone help me !

guesses would be:

motor sat for a while so the rings are messed up

PCV valve ? (i busted the one on the IM, so i punched it out wit ha screwdriver and got some generic LS one from oreileys. could that be it ? or could i have hooked the breather box up wrong ? (two places for hoses) or would that not cause it

valve seals ?

its enough to fill a garage and come out of my valve cover, and the car shuts off. *scared*

Modified by daklown at 8:37 AM 4/22/2004

Modified by daklown at 8:43 AM 4/22/2004
Old 04-22-2004, 06:04 AM
MiG-21 superfan

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: NEED HELP. LS motor billowing blue smoke, wont stay running (daklown)

hmmm, pull the plugs...what do they look like EXACTLY?

you also should do a compression check...get a tester, they are not too expensive, we all should have one...this is the second step...

let me know the results of these two questions.
Old 04-22-2004, 06:32 AM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

plugs -> new

actually, after messing around a bit im just gonna suck it up, take the head off and see if i have a stuck ring. it wont stay running long enough to really do much.