Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Someone tried to steal my car last night...lessons learned

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Someone tried to steal my car last night...lessons learned

first relocate your hood release cable and put a custom plate so they cant reach the release mechanism. i routed my cable from the latch to under the dizzy to the firewall circular plug near the battery tray.

when you get an alarm (get a two way pager) make sure the hood pin instant trigger switch is mounted on the firewall which will make it impossible for the thief to hold the pin down while he disconnects the battery (the usual spot is on the rad support, if the theif manages to pop your hood he will slide his hands on the rad support and get a feel to where the hood pin switch is, if he pins it down ypur car is done bc he will disconnect the battery). with that said make sure you get a back up battery, extra siren in the cabin, proximity/dual zone radar, and glass breakage sensor.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by akelly17
its pretty easy to reach under the front bumper and unlatch the hood. i had to do it when i couldnt get my hood to unlatch because the mount was not in the correct spot since it can be adjusted n what not. another good easy idea is to pull the plug in your wiring harness by your right shock tower, it basically just looks like a block off since it goes to nothing but if its pulled the car wont start. basically another kill switch and it doesn't even involve any modification you can just go and pull the little plug and take it with you. ill see if i can find a picture of what i am talking about.
So THAT's what that weird little plug is!
I saw when I was tucking that side and I was like: wtf is this thing
Good to know!
^^

And yes I heard of that legal case...what a crock of ****, eh?
XP
A static defense like razor wire doesn't seem like excessive force to me (i.e., you kinda have to take the initiative and f**k with it yourself before it f**ks you up)...then again, I live that kind of state
XD;

Last edited by Texas4door; 02-29-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
. I usually only do that if I have to be parked somewhere dicey. Even better idea is to get one from the junk yard and pull the contacts out and swap them when you leave the car.

fm
never thought to do that, but that would definitely help disguise the alterations if someone paid attention to detail.

i was told its completes the circuit that controls the injector pulse, not sure if thats true, but it would make sense.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by fungus mungus
Good ideas folks. Even better idea is to get one from the junk yard and pull the contacts out and swap them when you leave the car.

fm
Great idea!
Old 03-01-2012, 06:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by akelly17
never thought to do that, but that would definitely help disguise the alterations if someone paid attention to detail.

i was told its completes the circuit that controls the injector pulse, not sure if thats true, but it would make sense.
It's part of the injector wiring, not sure what it does

fungus I have a couple wiring harnesses somewhere, I could send you one or two of those plugs
Old 03-02-2012, 09:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by speedooo

fungus I have a couple wiring harnesses somewhere, I could send you one or two of those plugs
Thanks, that's a really nice gesture. I have one I pulled the pins out of already.

Car is at my shop waiting for the insurance claims adjuster to look at it. Once the repairs are ok'd, he'll fix what the would-be thieves broke and mod the hood release (reroute cable and block off release) and add the additional backup battery/siren. He said that whoever attempted to steal tge car were amateurs...a pro wouldn't have made such a mess of the ignition and probably would have been prepared to deal with a kill switch or two.

fm
Old 03-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update:
The insurance adjuster finally came and OK'd the repair of the car. We'll see what the real damage is in a few days. Happy they didn't even try to total the car.

fm
Old 03-05-2012, 01:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Note to self, flip kill switch... I have a buddy of mine with a kill switch in the shift boot, may take that idea.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Under the shift boot would work initially, but after a while of use, the boot would start to wear where your switch is, making it visible to someone whose really looking. The best place for a kill switch would be somewhere that you can't reach from the driver's seat.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^ what he said.

Also, just because my thieves weren't the sharpest pencils in the box doesn't mean yours won't be smart nor better prepared, so don't rely solely on a kill switch to protect your car. These guys were able to pop my hood and cut my alarm siren without it going off. If I had my car protected properly, they wouldn't have been able to pop the hood from the outside, nor would they have been able to open the car without tripping the alarm. Layers, folks...layers.

fm
Old 03-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmm, never thought about the boot wearing down. I want to move mine, the cigarette tray thing is too obvious. The car isn't nice enough atm to attract any attention so I don't really need to worry about it for a while... I think.

Glad your car didn't get jacked tho.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn 5,000$ worth of JDM parts and didnt park your civic in your garage!?!?!
thats just crazy bro, your LUCKYYYYYYYY! should of played loto that morning lol
Old 03-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I was thinking of the wrong plug...what's the purpose of the tiny single wire plug with the rubber cover on it sitting up between the driver's side shock tower and firewall?
It's attached to the same bracket that holds the plugs up there...wtf is that thing for?
(it has a single blue wire running out of it, but it doesn't connect up to anything...oO )
Old 03-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by jdm=swag
damn 5,000$ worth of JDM parts and didnt park your civic in your garage!?!?!
thats just crazy bro, your LUCKYYYYYYYY! should of played loto that morning lol
5 years of parking on the street in front of my house and it was never touched. The first 3 years, there was nothing special about it. Once I got wheels, I got nervous and got an alarm/kill switches. But still went 2 years without any issues. I got sloppy and, yes, really, really lucky. This won't happen again, I can assure you.

BTW, it wasn't 5K worth of JDM parts, but certainly more than 5K worth of motor. The JDM parts were a couple of grand if you count the wheels. And then there was the 6K saxophone. That morning could have been a whole ball of suck if the thieves had been more competent.

fm
Old 03-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys should consider putting at least 1 kill switch in the trunk, and removing the trunk release cable from the inside of the car so you can't open the trunk without a key. It's not fool proof, and makes for a minor convenience issue for you when you want to open your trunk, but it's a good layer! Wouldn't work for those with hatchbacks though lol.

I just bought a denver wheel boot. Drastic measures, but I'll sacrifice 2 minutes out of my day for some peace of mind.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Texas4door
I think I was thinking of the wrong plug...what's the purpose of the tiny single wire plug with the rubber cover on it sitting up between the driver's side shock tower and firewall?
It's attached to the same bracket that holds the plugs up there...wtf is that thing for?
(it has a single blue wire running out of it, but it doesn't connect up to anything...oO )
Tachometer signal iirc.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Tachometer signal iirc.
Exactly.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn that sucks you just can have anything good these days, these jerks are to lazy to work so they try to steal of someone elses hard earn money. thanks for sharing your story now i need to be careful with my honda.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats funny, when they broke into my car they popped my hood to cut my siren but they couldnt find it so they left it. I had it tucked under the fender

Im glad youre getting everything fixed OP. Run two sirens, thats what im doing. I found an extra at the junkyard and put it under my dash, its SUPER loud inside of the car.
Kill switches are amazing, I have mine within reach. You can put it in the trunk but if someone is following you, theyll see you messing with it and give it away. I have mine within arms reach in the drivers seat and no one has ever found it. Its a clutch kill switch so it cant be started.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Tachometer signal iirc.
What exactly does it do?
I mean, my car is an LX and already comes with the tach wired up...
Or do you not plug anything into it at all unless you add a tach (like on a DX)
I hate electrical crazy crap
XP

EDIT: nvm, found out it's just another option included in all wiring harnesses

Last edited by Texas4door; 03-06-2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by civicjunkie17
I had something like this happen to me before. It was 3pm on a weekend I think, 2 spanish guys pull up in a big white van in front of my house, like one of those Ford E250s or whatever. They attempted to jimmie through my window to unlock the door but the alarm starting going off, and my girlfriend was actually going around a corner to come over, so I guess the combination of the alarm and my girl they must have gotten spooked out and left. As soon as my girlfriend saw them she called me and I rushed downstairs and outside, by the time I was outside they were long gone. I got lucky.
I had something similar happen a few years back . When I came out my door with my Ak strapped on my shoulder they left pretty quick.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Arthas
Thats funny, when they broke into my car they popped my hood to cut my siren but they couldnt find it so they left it. I had it tucked under the fender

Im glad youre getting everything fixed OP. Run two sirens, thats what im doing. I found an extra at the junkyard and put it under my dash, its SUPER loud inside of the car.
Kill switches are amazing, I have mine within reach. You can put it in the trunk but if someone is following you, theyll see you messing with it and give it away. I have mine within arms reach in the drivers seat and no one has ever found it. Its a clutch kill switch so it cant be started.
I'll have a decoy siren, a regular hidden, and a backup battery w/siren, also hidden. But if I do it right, they won't be popping my hood from the outside anyway. They'll have to set off the alarm.

fm
Old 03-24-2012, 09:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Back in the saddle again! It's not 100% yet...the passenger window is still tweaked, the ignition is a used one and the key comes out while the car is still running (found this out the hard way at auto-x). I needed the car for auto-x school today, so it was released to me for this event and I'll be bringing it back to have the rest of this stuff sorted out. Also doing an IM, intake, and injector swap and doing a tune.

Old 03-24-2012, 09:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Not many people listen to typical car alarms these days but one thing you can do to get peoples attention is install a hidden air horn to the alarm, and have a dummy alarm siren under the hood so they think they can get away with it. when they open the door they get a blast from a loud a$s air horn and wake the neighborhood.
you might even be able to follow the pee trail back to their car down the street hahaha
Old 03-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Consider using air-horns instead of sirens for secondary/tertiary sirens.

I don't even bother trying to hide the alarm siren under the hood. I have two Stebel Nautilus air horns on a time delay relay (15secs.), one hidden inside the cabin, one on the outside, away from the hood.

I can tell you from personal experience these things attract attention unlike "alarm" sirens. When these things fire off, people will come out of their apartments to see WTH is blowing their horn. They will *absolutely* get attention. Anyone messing with the car would be psychotic not leave.

These aren't a "train horn" type setup either, they're maybe twice the size of a DEI 415N siren. I don't pulse them either - just run them off the alarm siren wire through a relay.

--

Another trick is to conceal the engine compartment siren wire in split loom, and run the ground wire from EFI relay through the loom, loop it at siren, and then back into the cabin.

If someone "cuts" your engine bay siren, they have effectively disabled the vehicle.

-

Not many people listen to typical car alarms these days but one thing you can do to get peoples attention is install a hidden air horn to the alarm
Just beat me to it!

Quick Reply: Someone tried to steal my car last night...lessons learned