Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Some of those basic Questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2004, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some of those basic Questions...

Hey people I am just mapping out my vehicle upgrades and I need some advice on these things, so if you could just bestow your great knowledge on me I'd appreciate it, but if you are going to flame me, scold me or even attack my idea(s) you can trurn around now and go away because I will not stand for any of that.

The car in question is a 1992 Civic DX Sedan w/ a D15b7

So I want to do the following / Question about it.

Major Engine Upgrade to Obtain 150+ HP and More Torqe / Would it be possible for me to use a CVT, is it worth getting anyway? I will not be going to manual.

Performance Intake, Exhaust & Electrical Upgrades / What manufacturesrs of CAIs & Exhaust systems should I stay away from?

New Shocks / I have been told to get some Tokico Illumina Adjustables, I don't think I really would need to adjust my shocks. Are there any lower cost alternatives to these well-known performance aftermarket brands like Tokico?

New Wheels Tirerack sounded like a good place to look see how certain rims looked on my car but they don't have my color civic (Opal Metallic Green, Not that dark one they have up under that color. It's a much lighter green). / Where do you suggest I look for rims/wheels from? Online or Offline doesn't matter. Can you reccomend some good All weather tires? Also, I want to do this stuff as soon as I can, which may mean I'll have these things by the time snow falls, I have heard of people taking their nice wheels off and putting on steelies in the winter, is this really nessesary?

Full Detailing/ Lets say your suspension components that can been seen in the wheel well are really really dirty grimey rusty, is there an easy way to clean them up without having to take the parts off the car?

Reinforce trunk spare tire storage cover Anyone else have this problem? Mine is weak, I was laying down on it doing speaker work and it was bowing down (The spare is not in atm). What can one do about this?

Tint Front Window to abate direct blinding sunlight The top of my front winshield does not have that tint on it that allot of cars now adays do and I am always getting attacked by the sun light, what do you suggest I do?

Thanks all!

Old 10-15-2004, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Some of those basic Questions... (Paprika)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Major Engine Upgrade to Obtain 150+ HP and More Torqe / Would it be possible for me to use a CVT, is it worth getting anyway? I will not be going to manual.

Performance Intake, Exhaust & Electrical Upgrades / What manufacturesrs of CAIs & Exhaust systems should I stay away from?

New Shocks / I have been told to get some Tokico Illumina Adjustables, I don't think I really would need to adjust my shocks. Are there any lower cost alternatives to these well-known performance aftermarket brands like Tokico?

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Major upgrades: Turbo, engine swap, full build

Intake/Exhaust, i'd be easier to list what to get. AEM is well known for their intakes.
Exhausts...there are lots of these. YOu can get one custom made, by brand name, or get the generic off of ebay. personally, I like Greddy, Apex'I, Tanabe, Skunk2

Tokico hp shocks are an affordable alternative to the adjustable ones, you can get a set for around $200.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some of those basic Questions... (JDMallTHEway)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDMallTHEway &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Major upgrades: Turbo, engine swap, full build

Intake/Exhaust, i'd be easier to list what to get. AEM is well known for their intakes.
Exhausts...there are lots of these. YOu can get one custom made, by brand name, or get the generic off of ebay. personally, I like Greddy, Apex'I, Tanabe, Skunk2

Tokico hp shocks are an affordable alternative to the adjustable ones, you can get a set for around $200.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Cool thanks man. So these generic exhausts on ebay would normally consist of ________ ?

Also, "Major upgrades: Turbo, engine swap, full build" - I understand Turbo, and Swap but what do you mean by 'Full build' ? Also, I'd like to get some of that power right off the bat for accerlation in inner-city driving, this is something I believe turbo cannot deliver, is supercharging an option? Also, I heard one could possibly run into problems putting a turbo on my engine (D15B7)

Get back to me soon and Thanks for the advice, I grealy appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

3500 for a gsr swap and you'll be at 170 hp+ any aftermarket upgrades you do. Concentrait on performance first then on looks. it's the HT way. oh, no 5spd tranny, bummer. You could do full automatic swap but it's not quite as common.
Old 10-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some of those basic Questions... (dohcdelsol93)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dohcdelsol93 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">3500 for a gsr swap and you'll be at 170 hp+ any aftermarket upgrades you do. Concentrait on performance first then on looks. it's the HT way. oh, no 5spd tranny, bummer. You could do full automatic swap but it's not quite as common. </TD></TR></TABLE>
Performance first, HT way? 3500? Whats that entail, just he price of the engine?
Old 10-16-2004, 01:58 PM

usually the full swap. I ahve a car with a full GSR for sale for $3000.

there are generic exhausts on ebay that are like "HKS style" "tanabe style" greddy style"

some are made by tsudo ot obx, etc. They usually have chrome 2 1/2" piping with a performance muffler.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Uhh.. a swap looks pretty expensive, the most daunting thing about is that I have enough problems changing my brakes because my jack doesn't lift high enough, I plan to get a high-lift model asap, but I don't think I can do a engine swap at home - I don't have the experiance or tools, I'd need to take it to some shop or hire someone else I trust to do it for me.. Maybe the school auto shop.

The exahust stuff sounds simple enough. Now as far a engine to swap with, could you run me through a list of places I could find a complete engine? I mean specific places online and offline.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:17 PM

maybe, it is a difficult task to take on, we did mine in the parking lot of my apt... took about 5 hours. We worked from 12am to 5am.... it was interesting.

A basic mechanics tool set from say sears (craftsman is the shiz) is all you really need, but it helps to have someone who knows what they're doing. The wiring is the hardest part.
Old 10-16-2004, 02:24 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now as far a engine to swap with, could you run me through a list of places I could find a complete engine? I mean specific places online and offline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.hmotorsonline.com

http://www.jhpusa.com
Old 10-16-2004, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dude I have a million questions for you now!

How did you lift the engine out of the car in a parking lot??!?

Yay! Just those two sites alone yelded complete swaps for around $1600 which is way better than that $3000 quoted above.They come with transmissions but none of the sites mention if the transmissions are automatic or manual...

Also, how much is shipping usually? I bet these companies are in california where as I am in Ohio.

Modified by Paprika at 11:31 PM 10/16/2004
Old 10-17-2004, 07:58 AM

you don't lift it out, you drop it out.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:02 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Yay! Just those two sites alone yelded complete swaps for around $1600 which is way better than that $3000 quoted above.They come with transmissions but none of the sites mention if the transmissions are automatic or manual...
Modified by Paprika at 11:31 PM 10/16/2004</TD></TR></TABLE>

The 3000 quoted above is for a GSR swap, which is right on target with the websites..
JDM B18C 94-95 GSR Engine Swap $3,099.00USD
JDM B18C 96-00 GSR Engine Swap $3,550.00USD
Old 10-17-2004, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whats so special about a GSR engine anyway? I seen other engines on the site that meet the power requirments I was looking for. The only dispute I could have with them is weither or not they fit into my engine bay properly and what to do about the transmission.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:35 PM

well what engines were yo looking at?
Old 10-17-2004, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I mean I didn't have a particular engine in mind. That vtec tehnology would be cool to have on whatever engine I get. Well the engines I seen on those sites were:

30002 - B16A 88-91 (SiR I) Complete Change Over
160Hp 111Trq 10.2 Compression (JDM)
$ 1499.00 Plus shipping and handling.

30003 - B16A 92-93 Integra (XSi) Complete Change Over
170Hp 113Trq 10.4 Compression (JDM OBD I)
$ 1799.00 Plus shipping and handling.

JDM B16A 92-95 SIR2 Engine Swap
1.6 Liter DOHC VTEC Engine
$2,140.00USD

These cheaper engines all happen to be B16A's as I can see now, which as I read are not the best of the best, but are good I'm sure as long as I don't get a High Mileage JDM one.

I'm also sure that you all here who have experiance with swaps and such have an idea if these transmissions are usually automatic or manual. With that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if they were manual.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:52 PM

30002 - B16A 88-91 (SiR I) Complete Change Over
160Hp 111Trq 10.2 Compression (JDM)
$ 1499.00 Plus shipping and handling.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Do you really want an engine that old? OBD-0 is gay anyway :-p

JDM B16A 92-95 SIR2 Engine Swap
1.6 Liter DOHC VTEC Engine
$2,140.00USD
</TD></TR></TABLE>
I would say this is your best bet if you want to keep the price down, without sacrificing quality. same motor I have.

I'm also sure that you all here who have experiance with swaps and such have an idea if these transmissions are usually automatic or manual. With that in mind I wouldn't be surprised if they were manual.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Typically speaking their manual.

If you're planning on getting a swap, what are your plans for putting it in? do you have someone who can help you, or are you going to pay a shop?
Old 10-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dunno. I don't know of anyone I trust to do it. I have a friend who works in the school autoshop and I've met their teacher. I could borrow/rent some shop space and do it myself with the help of a good friend of mine who works on cars allot along with my mechanical knowledge it shouldn't be too hard.

What about that 30003 - B16A 92-93 Integra (XSi) ?

Old 10-18-2004, 05:46 PM

just wanted to make sure you ahd this planned out. i think the hardes part was the wiring. if you a. have everything u need, and b have some basic mechanical knowledge, then the rest of it is a snap, the wiring is what I thought was a bit tricky. Just buy the complete harness and you should hopefully be ok. if you have any questions about what you need, or the basics of doing the swap, ask me. or, you can ask anyone else on honda-tech, there are lots of knowledgable people here.
Old 10-19-2004, 05:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 10-19-2004, 05:07 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Paprika &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What about that 30003 - B16A 92-93 Integra (XSi) ? </TD></TR></TABLE>

prolly be good for ya
Old 10-19-2004, 05:41 PM
* B A N N E D *

Get a K20A.

w0rd up y0.
Old 10-20-2004, 08:53 AM

Default Re: (TypeRWanter)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TypeRWanter &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Get a K20A.

w0rd up y0.</TD></TR></TABLE>

dude shut up..
Old 10-20-2004, 09:19 AM

Default Re: (JDMallTHEway)

since you have an automatic tranny and most motor swaps are manual i think your best bet would be to do an automatic integra LS swap..and then if you wanted you could do ls/vtec which means you could keep the ls block and tranny and all the other parts but you would switch out the ls head for something like an si,gsr,or even type-r head.. since you have an automatic if you really want to put that power to good use i would buy a torque convertor to make the power being put out more efficient..these are just some ideas to consider i know you prob have no idea what im talking about.. anyways if you want to make 150hp outta that motor you will need alot of work.. it would be easier and cheaper to do a motor swap and/or tranny swap

p.s. a sagging spare tire cover is the least of your worries right now
Old 10-20-2004, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

doesnt that come with a cable tranny ?
Old 10-20-2004, 03:53 PM

Default Re: (g2crx)

huh.. I don't know. its possible.

Quick Reply: Some of those basic Questions...