Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Some Somewhat Electronically Technically Stuff For You Guys

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Communicating with DLC with JDM obd2 Swap/ NYS Inspetion passing?

Hey Guys,

new to the site, but not to cars or hondas in general. ive done some research but sill have a couple of questions, and hopefully you guys can answer them.

Im doing a JDM b16a obd2a swap into my 97 ej6 coupe this summer. I understand that im going to have to wire v-tec and all that good stuff alog with the CkF mod and the ftp mod or fix. but heres my real questions. I live in NY. new york requires that all obd2(96+) vehicles be plugged into the DLC for NYS inspections along with the standard mechanical inspection. The engine or computer can not have any trouble codes stored in its memory inorder to pass inspection. Now my understanding is that JDM computers will not communicate with usdm OBD2 DLC connectors. so here was my idea.... I was goin to buy a 99-00 civic si usdm computer and run that when i perform my inspection. but 99-00 is obd2B so i would have to buy a obd2a-b jumper harness or converter. but.... would my stock dx harness plug into the b-series obd2a-b converter and then to the ecu and actually communicate with the DLC and run the car without any DTC's?

Please dont tell me to plug my car into someone elses when i perform the inspection.... your vin numbers are stored in your ecu and NYS can tell the difference if you plug into someone elses computer. id have to register this new USDM si computer with them so that ones out...

Please if anyone has any knowledge at all about this please help me i dont wanna go out and buy the engine and realize i cant pass inspection. it would be pointless!

thanks,
Bryan
Old 10-30-2007, 03:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Communicating with DLC with JDM obd2 Swap/ NYS Inspetion passing? (soontoB)

Well, if you are just putting an ECU in to pass emmissions, I'd think your best bet would be to drive to the inspection station or a few blocks from there, and simply install your factory ECU. Yeah, VTEC won't work but the car WILL run. Otherwise, the P2P is the D16Y8 ECU and that could be plugged in. In theory, it would emit less noxious gasses since it would probably be running the engine just a little leaner. Plus, if you put your factory ECU back in the car for inspect, your VIN would already be there so you wouldn't have to register the ECU.

Yes, it's also correct that JDM ECU's can not be read by US scan tools.
Old 10-30-2007, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Communicating with DLC with JDM obd2 Swap/ NYS Inspetion passing? (soontoB)

any more help or suggestions guys?