Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP **

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP **

okay well i am going to be doing an oil change on my 99 civic si this weekend. it is my first time ever doing it, but i think i have a general idea of how to do it.

tell me if this is right.

-unscrew the drain plug with a bucket/oilpan underneath it
-once it's all drained out, unscrew the oil filter w/ the pan still udnerneath it
-put drain plug back on with a new washer (is this required)
-put the new oil filter on
-fill with X amount of oil

Is this all correct?

Now my questions. do you have to torque the drain plug to a certain amount when putting it back on? is is neccesary to use a new washer on it? How about the oil filter? does that have to be torqued a certain amount, or do you just hand tighten it? Do you have to lube the seal around the oil filter before putting it on?

Also, what kind of oil should I use in my 99 civic si and how many quarts? it has 92k miles on it. should i get an oem oil filter, or aftermarket?

Now onto jacking it up, etc. Can I place my jack under that radiator support, then use the stands on the 2 jack spots behind the front wheels?

Thanks, all help appreciated.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
tell me if this is right.

-unscrew the drain plug with a bucket/oilpan underneath it
-once it's all drained out, unscrew the oil filter w/ the pan still udnerneath it
-put drain plug back on with a new washer (is this required)
-put the new oil filter on
-fill with X amount of oil

Is this all correct?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes. But I usually take the oil cap off first so the oil flows out from the pan better

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now my questions. do you have to torque the drain plug to a certain amount when putting it back on? is is neccesary to use a new washer on it? How about the oil filter? does that have to be torqued a certain amount, or do you just hand tighten it? Do you have to lube the seal around the oil filter before putting it on?

Also, what kind of oil should I use in my 99 civic si and how many quarts? it has 92k miles on it. should i get an oem oil filter, or aftermarket?

Now onto jacking it up, etc. Can I place my jack under that radiator support, then use the stands on the 2 jack spots behind the front wheels?

Thanks, all help appreciated.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I usually don't use a new washer. People will tell you to. Its not a bad idea, but I wouldn't go outta my way or anything. I usually just tighten the plug good enough, but don't try to He-Man it either because you don't wanna strip it out or anything

I lube around the seal of the filter a little just incase. And then hand tighten it as much as I can then add a little extra with a oil filter wrench. Nothing crazy.

I used Castrol GTX 5w-30 for my B16. Good and nothing crazy expensive. OEM is your best bet for a filter. I personally don't like FRAMs even though people say its the same. Just a mental thing I guess.

Under the rad support there should be an arrow on the splash guard pointing to where you can jack it up. People don't like to do this cause it seems sketchy. I do it though but just really careful. Yeah just put the stands under the tabs behind the wheels.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:55 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (SkoundrelUSA)

thanks for the quick reply. Do you just lube the seal of the filter with some motor oil, or something else? Will just a bit on your finger tip be enough?

If under the radiator support is a bit sketchy, where else is a good spot to do it?

oh and will I need any special tools besides a basic rachet set and the oil filter wrench?
Old 10-26-2007, 09:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (Razr2)

lube the seal with motor oil.

jack it up at the rad support, then put a jackstand on each side at the jack points to support the car. do not get under the car without jackstands!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:00 AM
cute little bastard

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thanks for the quick reply. Do you just lube the seal of the filter with some motor oil, or something else? Will just a bit on your finger tip be enough?

If under the radiator support is a bit sketchy, where else is a good spot to do it?

oh and will I need any special tools besides a basic rachet set and the oil filter wrench?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Same motor oil is fine.

I don't know. Thats why I still do it that way lol

Nope just a 17mm (socket or regular wrench) and a oil wrench.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:03 AM
Trial User

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (SkoundrelUSA)

Wow, this forum rocks. Thanks again for the help.

Now, some suggestions on oil type and how many quarts for the b16a2 (99-00 si) would be great! Also what type of oil filter. Is just a regular oil filter from advance auto okay? Like this one.

http://www.partsamerica.com/pr...Set=A

or

The fram high mileage filter?

OR! should I only go with Honda OEM?

Thanks.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 AM

ok all your gonna need is a 14 millimeter socket ( i think) thats what most hondas have. and the ratchet obviously for the socket. and your oil filter wrench.

take off the oil cap under the hood
remove the drain plug
remove the oil filter
let drain completely.(bout 3-4 mins should be fine)
put new oil filter on continuing to let the pan drain just for fun
put the drain plug back in
fill with oil
start it up for about 30 seconds
check oil... add/remove depending on if you put the right ammount in.

Thats it. oil changes are easy!

oh and people below flamming me... i have dial up and i dint see those posts when it hit reply... get over it. k. thanks.....

Modified by Bazza at 11:27 AM 10/26/2007
Old 10-26-2007, 10:07 AM
cute little bastard

Castrol GTX 5W-30 is what I've used for my B16A and my poorman's R

If I recall correct its 4 quarts even. Fill it up 3 and then just pour and check the dipstick and make sure it doesn't go past the top hole
Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (Bazza)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bazza &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok all your gonna need is a 14 millimeter socket ( i think) thats what most hondas have. and the ratchet obviously for the socket. and your oil filter wrench.

take off the oil cap under the hood
remove the drain plug
remove the oil filter
let drain completely.(bout 3-4 mins should be fine)
put new oil filter on continuing to let the pan drain just for fun
put the drain plug back in
fill with oil
start it up for about 30 seconds
check oil... add/remove depending on if you put the right ammount in.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Is there an echo in here? Man, now people aren't even reading the first post before replying...info was long since covered.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:15 AM
HT White Ops

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For filters, my poison is the Napa Wixx Silvers. They're the exact same filter as their Gold and Pro series, just repackaged. That's right, exact same core.

For oil, I either use Honda 5w30 (Exxon Mobil dino), or Castrol GTX 5w30 (dino).
Old 10-26-2007, 10:16 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: Some questions about an oil change on a 99 civic si. ** NEED HELP ** (klungemonger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by klungemonger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Is there an echo in here? Man, now people aren't even reading the first post before replying...info was long since covered.</TD></TR></TABLE>

07...what do you expect lol. And I've always used a 17mm except on my dads Accord.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:35 AM
Trial User

Default Re: (Eran)

Oh okay so I will probably use Castrol GTX 5w30. Or is it better to get the "high mileage" oil?

And what do you think of the oil filters I posted a few posts up? I would get a Honda OEM one, but I don't wanna drive all the way to the Honda dealership.

And do I need a certain oil filter wrench, or just any one?
Old 10-26-2007, 10:39 AM
cute little bastard

Default Re: (Razr2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh okay so I will probably use Castrol GTX 5w30. Or is it better to get the "high mileage" oil?

And what do you think of the oil filters I posted a few posts up? I would get a Honda OEM one, but I don't wanna drive all the way to the Honda dealership.

And do I need a certain oil filter wrench, or just any one? </TD></TR></TABLE>

Nah just get the regular GTX

I use OEM so I can't say bout those

Get one of these. Basically just a big set of pliers. All those other weird circle ones never seem to work

Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM

wondering same thing about high millage oil....except i don't do oil changes any more because the honda dealership up the street does full change and filter for $25, not worth my time to get underneath my car, i just take it up there when i need new oil!
Old 10-26-2007, 10:53 AM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Razr2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Oh okay so I will probably use Castrol GTX 5w30. Or is it better to get the "high mileage" oil?

And do I need a certain oil filter wrench, or just any one? </TD></TR></TABLE>

If you have a Napa near by, get the Wixx Silver filters. They're really a good filter for the price.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Eran)

I'm going to try the Wixx Silver Filters next time, I didn't even know they had any others besides the black one, thanks Eran.

OP: I've always used the Regular Wixx filters, they are like 6 bucks, really good filters, I wouldn't recommend Fram, I've always heard of them falling apart internally and my dad had one on his race car and lost oil pressure lol.

When jacking the car up, I've always done it on the Tow Hooks under the car, they are mounted in a way that I feel much better about than the radiator support.

Always use Jackstands!!
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 PM

Default Re: (kuja396)

What about K&N Oil Filters? I know they don't really do anything performance wise so please no flameage. I get them for cheaper than you are paying for the wixx filters, so I just pick them up at work.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:58 PM
HT White Ops

Looking at Napa's site:

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Napa ProSelect - $2.69 (White Canister) [Wix Silver]

Napa Gold - $6.99 (Black Canister) [Wix Gold]

Napa Premium - $8.99 (Silver Canister) [Wix Pro]</TD></TR></TABLE>

Those all have the same exact filter core.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u can get it cheaper than go with it. Its just an oil change man! Ur making this seem like a motor swap or something.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:47 PM
Trial User

Default Re: (Malakai)

lol, I know it's just an oil change, but I'm kinda **** about my car.

So, basically any filter would work, correct? (besides the fram, since some people said to stay away from it)

And my other question that is still unanswered is if I have to torque the plug to a certain amount, or just until it's on tight.

ALSO! Where exactly is the oil filter on the 99 si? Do I access it from the top or from underneath?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HEY!! ANYONE WANNA HEAR 'BOUT HOW I CHANGE MY OIL ? ! ? !

GOTTA RIL COOL WAY OF DOIN IT ! ! !

Modified by Cookie at 9:07 PM 10/26/2007
Old 10-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Cookie)

I just use my drive up ramps. Its so much easier.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM

damm an oil change expletive honda tech you need some basic mechical skills... i sure youll figure it out