Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

some brake questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default some brake questions...

I have a 1994 Civic EX, with front and rear disc brakes.

About a year ago my rear drivers side caliper would seize up on me all the time, and i realized it would only do that after the e-brake was applied. So i quit using the e-brake for some time and then got the caliper replaced. Problem solved. But now I have both of my rear calipers doing it and my e-brake is also messed up in the fact that it sets at a different angle now, since the seizing has started. Also when i do use my e-brake it is really weak and doesnt keep my car from rolling, so i have to put it in first to make it not want to roll.

I went to a few brake places and they all said it is my calipers seizing up, but i have been doing some reading and it may be my e-brake cable but the brake places all say its the calipers.

Is that what is going on? Or could it be the e-brake cable? If its the calipers, where can i get them for cheap? And is there an easy upgrade I can do instead of replacing it with stock calipers and rotors? A guy at the brake place mentioned that i can get an upgraded rotor and all i would need is a new brace for it and thats about it unless i want to spend a G on a big brake kit.

Anyone got any answers for me?
Old 06-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: some brake questions... (94CIV)

bump...
Old 06-23-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check the sliders on the calipers... take them off clean them and use new moly base grease on them... also make sure none of the rubber is torn or it will allow moisture to get to the sliders... if moisture gets in them they can rust and this will eventually cause your calipers to seize... so i would start there
Old 06-24-2005, 08:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: some brake questions... (neutron91)

the sliders, are those the rods that slide in and out of the caliper that have a plastic acordian looking thing cover over them?
Old 06-24-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94CIV &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the sliders, are those the rods that slide in and out of the caliper that have a plastic acordian looking thing cover over them?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, they tend to get corroded and bind. My fronts did that recently. Picked up a rebuild hardware kit for them; lubed up the rods, installed and went.

Old 06-24-2005, 09:40 AM

Default Re: some brake questions... (AutoXer)

Hi there - - my front driver's slider is frozen right now.... where did you get the kit from? and how did you remove the old? thanks!
Old 06-24-2005, 09:41 AM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Re: some brake questions... (AutoXer)

Once you've checked out your calipers and re-lubed the sliders, disconnect your e-brake cables from the calipers. Then pull the e-brake handle & check to see if they feel sticky or tight. If that is the case, all you have to do is replace the bad cable/cables with new ones, and your good to go...

A tip for re-lubing the caliper guide pins: Make sure you work all the air out of the holes when you reassemble them. You will find as you push the pins down into the holes in the caliper bracket, the new grease forms a seal, and the traped air wants to push the pin back out (you get a springy effect). Get the air out of their so the pins stay bottomed out (took me a few minutes of moving the pin around. This way your calipers will open up when you let off the brake pedal, and the pads won't drag on the rotor...

One more tip: Clean, lube & reassemble the guide pins one at a time. Each one is is different, and it's REALLY easy to mix them up...

Good luck...