Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Solid CEL, but car still starts. Need some advice.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 02:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solid CEL, but car still starts. Need some advice.

Today I went out to my car to go to the store and I got a cel. I jumped the harness and got a solid cel. I have had this problem before about a year and a half ago, but when it happened before I was not able to start the car. I had to replace the ecu when it happened the first time. From what I can gather from searching the problem, the car would not start if the ecu was bad. I may be wrong about that. I have turned the ignition on and pulled the map sensor and tps sensor, one at a time, to see if that had any effect on the cel. It did not. I also notice a slight hum coming from somewhere in the engine bay. It sound like some kind of an electrical hum. It comes on when the ignition is turned on and it stays on after the fuel pump has primed. I can not locate the hum. I have tried using various types of tubes and other magnification methods to track down the sound, but I have been unsuccessful. Also the fuel pump does prime. One thing that I did notice is that the timing belt seems a little loose. I don't know if this would cause a cel light come on and stay on, but I will fix the tension tomorrow and see what happens. I looked through the helms for some help, but I don't have the ecu adapter for testing. I also do not know anyone locally with another ecu to try. If anyone has any advice it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-07-2012, 02:37 AM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: Solid CEL, but car still starts. Need some advice.

Solid check engine light means you have no codes it doesn't mean bad ECU. Now if you jumped it and the light doesn't come on you possibly have a bad ECU.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:40 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Solid CEL, but car still starts. Need some advice.

Have you tried resetting the ECU? That's where I'd start.