Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC VTEC ZC MAD HELP Needed ASAP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC VTEC ZC MAD HELP Needed ASAP!!!

QUICK RUN DOWN OF EVERYTHING:
i just slapped a 1990 SOHC VTEC ZC (based off stamp on head) into 1997 civic sedan EX...so i was told and did my own homework and found out that ZC never had a SOHC VTEC zc from factory..i dont know i was told by people that either block is OEM from factory SOHC ZC or i boughtt a Frankenstein motor from H and R motors in EL monte...dunno tho...has VTEC black valve cover and spark plugs and shwer

in order for motor to turn over or get any power we used the dizzy that came with the new ZC motor and cut the connecting clip off the dizzy from my blown D16y8 then soldered dizzy clip onto ZC dizzy so the dizzy can be used on my stock harness . i swapped over crank sensor intake manifold and emissions parts etc. as well as oil pump water pump. bridged or bypassed the knock sensor as well and then reset ecu and removed necessary fuses and yea cam gear is from my D16y8.

car was running good for 4 days but something shorted and long story short... i fixed that issue....

im having some weird electrical issues now....

i then adjusted idle speed and at normal running temp. rpm cluster reads at 1000rpm and if do a rev itl drop and idle at 200-300 rpm and idle at 1000 rpm and then ill give it some gas again and bam back to `100 rpm....

code thrown: 23 knock sensor as well as 8 TDC 1 i guess

there would be times were i had reset everything and no check engine light or cel would appear but after super high rev bam check engine lights on...

whats weird is with those 2 codes thrown sometimes VTEC would krack hard and then other times it goes into limp mode... same codes are thrown

my dizzy is practically advanced to its max
gas is being burnt like nothing...

PROBLEMS: i cant get the mixture right even if my life depended on it haha..gas air and supposedly the mechanically inclined mechanic did the timing supposidly right but from appearance and everything its way off...when idles its sounds fine but then here and there there would be mini miss fires which i dunno if its from bad timing or dizzy and it couldnt be a bent valve because with a freshly re-setd ecu and no check engine idle and motor sounds ok.....

QUESTIONS:
1: What is proper way of doing this swap right and able to just pass normal smog with no codes?
2:Can someone find me a good DIY write up on this swap into an 1997 EK sedan?
3: What is order in which i should time first and how..timing belt then dizzy and then idle?
4: What dizzy can i buy brand new and install right into my car with capabilities of running on my stock engine harness instead of color matching and alll that?
5:why does my intake manifold heat up soooo much ?
6:Any help will be appreciated!! since i may not always be online because im homeless if someone could help real quick text me first then call if anything 626 475 8121
Old 03-08-2010, 06:27 AM
I'm not Rick!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: SOHC VTEC ZC MAD HELP Needed ASAP!!!

8 TDC...you replaced the oil pump?....with an obd2 pump right?...with the crank sensor on it right?
your dizzy, you could have jus repinned the plug.
your compression has prolly changed so your ecu is going nuts
it sounds lean, check your plugs.
and if your really homeless why do you have a cell phone and what the fack are you doing fiddling with cars
Old 03-08-2010, 11:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

homeless yea just started recently staying with friends...phone is essential for business purpose but phone wont be on cuhz im in the strugglez now...

yes oil pump with sensor has been put onto the zc...

the person i paid to work on the swap and everything didnt do anything...i litterallly paid 5 something just to use his damn toolz...i had to do pratically the whole pulling out of old blown motor to buying a new motor and picking it up as well as getting all other parts...all out of my pocket when i had paid the fool the money ahead of time to do it....FAIL!
Old 03-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP!
Old 03-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

assuming the motor has not been Frankensteined your motor is supposed to be from a 92-95 civic. basically it's a d16z6, assuming it wasn't mini me'd. one easy way to tell is by locating the fan switch. if it's on the back of the block it will most likely be a mini me. if there is no provision for a fan switch on the back of the block, and it is on the water tube at the thermostat, then it is a "jdm z6"

#1 assuming you have a z6, i would start by double and tripple checking the wiring that you spliced at the dizzy plug, and firstly make sure all the colors are correct. secondly, double check both the belt timing and the ignition timing. if you can i'd also try another dizzy.

#2 this one looks pretty good: http://www.carolinahondas.com/tech-t...1-z6-ek-4.html

#3 start with belt timing, then ignition timing, then set the idle.

#4 you can try rigging a y8 dizzy onto your motor, but the bolt tabs wont line up on the head. my best suggestion is to make a jumper harness. here's a link with a wiring diagram for obd0,1, and 2 dizzy wiring colors. really you'll need a dizzy from a d16z6, assuming your motor is a jdm z6

https://honda-tech.com/forums/tech-misc-15/obd1-motor-z6-into-obd2-ek-coupe-car-2408228/

#5 idk? mine got hella hot too and ran like a raped ape (granted it was a totally different motor) till i spun a bearing (i forgot to check the oil and it burned hella oil)

#6 sorry about being homeless. been there, it sucks.

just so you know, you probably wont pass emissions with this swap... last i checked you have to swap everything from a 97 or newer civic into your car (they don't let you go older) so... just some food for thought. if anything, it might be easyer for you to find a lower mileage y7 bottom end and just use the head from your zc so you still have vtec, yet all the sensors you are fighting with are already there (or a non spun y8)