Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sohc vtec question

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc vtec question

if everything electronically is sound, pressure switch, solenoid, and all the wiring is good, clean screens, is there anything that can cause vtec to not crossover?

I know its not very noticable (d series) but i am positive there is no crossover on my engine, I can unplug the solenoid completely and hear, feel absolutely no difference. its kinda depressing

No CELS or anything.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:15 PM

Default Re: sohc vtec question (92sihbk)

bump
Old 06-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No.

If a ground on the solenoid is loose or something it'll throw a VTEC CEL.

I don't see any scenarios that it could not engage w/o throwing a CEL UNLESS you have insufficient fuel pressure but not enough to trip the low oil pressure light. Possible, however unlikely, I've heard of it before.

The pitch changes on D series motors, if you're concerned it's not engaging hook a test light into the wire (I think it's A4) and ground it to some metal, when VTEC engages that will light up, if it's not lighting up VTEC isn't engaging.

I know everybody says "VTEC lights are rice" etc. etc. - which they are - but they'll tell you definitely if the solenoid is getting a signal to engage.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:57 PM
orb
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sohc vtec question (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">No.

If a ground on the solenoid is loose or something it'll throw a VTEC CEL.

I don't see any scenarios that it could not engage w/o throwing a CEL UNLESS you have insufficient fuel pressure but not enough to trip the low oil pressure light. Possible, however unlikely, I've heard of it before.

The pitch changes on D series motors, if you're concerned it's not engaging hook a test light into the wire (I think it's A4) and ground it to some metal, when VTEC engages that will light up, if it's not lighting up VTEC isn't engaging.

I know everybody says "VTEC lights are rice" etc. etc. - which they are - but they'll tell you definitely if the solenoid is getting a signal to engage.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The light idea is what I was going to suggest. F* the rice thing. I like my little VTEC LED. This is not only my first SOHC car, but my first VTEC one as well. Yeah, a lovely intro to the "big V", I know... LOL. Anyway, I find it very helpful. It helped me to become used to the crossover point as well as seeing when I'm in VTEC when shifting up and down. People can think whatever they please, but when I pwn their *** and my rice light helps me do it I'll be the one laughing when I see one in their car next time we race.

Oh, another thing that's cool is that at night (the light is not very visible during the day - I chose blue for that purpose) when I have a passenger they ask what it is and I get to talk about Hondas more.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:34 AM

Default Re: sohc vtec question (orb)

yea, i actually already have a light, just a small simple red LED next to my defrost button. it does come on, so i assume it is engaging. i bought my car about a month ago and i have a stack of papers from the second owner ( i am the 4th) of the car and he had it fully rebuilt and the head was done by DPR racing in cali and it has their "stage 5" head work done to it with a port matched intake mani. $2000 receipt for the head. My friends Z6 with just a re ring and P&P by my friend would walk all over mine all day. It just seems to me like something is up, and the engine is comming out soon to freshen it up. Maybe its just me...

If my fuel pressure drops as the RPM's climb, wouldnt that rob power?

If it does drop, How can I check it? hah

Fuel pressure is 30 at idle, and 40 with throttle
Old 06-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

d16z6 vtec is not that loud. if you want to hear it then run it open header and you will hear it for sure. if no cel than dont worry about it
Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM

Yeah....It's nothing like a DOHC because VTEC on a SOHC doesn't engauge the exhaust like on other motors.
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM

CLEAN THE OIL SCREEN UNDER THE V_TECH SOLENOID!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 03:13 PM
B A N N E D

Default Re: sohc vtec question (fmrprojects)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by fmrprojects &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">d16z6 vtec is not that loud. if you want to hear it then run it open header and you will hear it for sure. if no cel than dont worry about it</TD></TR></TABLE>

how would making more exhuast noise make sure he hears vtec? SOHC vtec is INTAKE side only...so STOCK EXHUAST, with intake should be able to hear it pretty clear. exhuast will make it harder to hear..lol
Old 07-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Default Re: sohc vtec question (DecentCivicZ6)

VTEC needs oil to work, If your asking for any other possibilities.
Old 07-13-2007, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you might be able to hear it with the stock exhaust, take it off for definite hearing
Old 07-13-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (imbillkamal)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DecentCivicZ6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

how would making more exhuast noise make sure he hears vtec? SOHC vtec is INTAKE side only...so STOCK EXHUAST, with intake should be able to hear it pretty clear. exhuast will make it harder to hear..lol</TD></TR></TABLE>

You can hear VTEC engagement in a SOHC, stock or aftermarket pipes.

On a DOHC like the B16 or CTR you can feel the crossover point as well as hear it, in a SOHC you can ALWAYS hear it if you know what you're listening for, but you never really feel it.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 92sihbk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yea, i actually already have a light, just a small simple red LED next to my defrost button. it does come on, so i assume it is engaging. i bought my car about a month ago and i have a stack of papers from the second owner ( i am the 4th) of the car and he had it fully rebuilt and the head was done by DPR racing in cali and it has their "stage 5" head work done to it with a port matched intake mani. $2000 receipt for the head. My friends Z6 with just a re ring and P&P by my friend would walk all over mine all day. It just seems to me like something is up, and the engine is comming out soon to freshen it up. Maybe its just me...

If my fuel pressure drops as the RPM's climb, wouldnt that rob power?

If it does drop, How can I check it? hah

Fuel pressure is 30 at idle, and 40 with throttle</TD></TR></TABLE>

Your fuel pressure is inaccurate, those are the vacuum pulled numbers. You have to disconnect to line from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake manifold so you're not pulling a vacuum on fuel system - that'll provide you with a static fuel pressure...just cover the nipple on the manifold so your idle doesn't go crazy, your fuel pressure SHOULD NOT change at idle or throttled up to 7k RPM. You NEED to disconnect that line for correct reading. I think Helms Z6 calls for 42-47psi.

As far as your VTEC goes, the LED is just confirming that the ECU is sending the signal to the solenoid for VTEC to engage. The only thing you could do is make sure the oil screen is clear .

I don't know of a SURE way to know that it's engaging (as in lights or numbers opposed to just hearing and feeling) besides one on pin A4.

Important:
See, as far as I know, the ECU reads the oil pressure through D6 or whatever it is, NOT the VTEC solenoid, so the ECU won't send the signal to the VTEC solenoid to engage if it has insufficient oil pressure. So it's not as if it could send the signal to the VTEC solenoid but the VTEC solenoid can decide not to engage it based on oil pressure. And if it detects the circuit isn't completed THROUGH THE PLUG it will throw a VTEC CEL.

If the light is on and ur not throwing any CEL's assume it's fine. It's a D16, no, you don't notice the VTEC unless you're REALLY listening for it, and if you're not used to SOHC, you might not even notice it then.