Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sohc v-tec solenoid

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc v-tec solenoid

sry bout my spelling/grammer what not.. so i was reading up on the vtec E. saying that its a 3 stage vtec. i beleive frm the hx/vx/correct me if im wrong.

currently i have d16z6 an was wondering. if i was to swap the solenoid
would it make a differant?????? like more hp gain/ gas saver? direct fit wid no modifaction? 3 stage v-tec sounds cool. an you get 50 mpg well thats what the write up said. lmao. any help would b appreciated. please, dont spam or talk shiet okayz guyz. thanks
Old 12-10-2007, 04:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

solenoid doesnt matter. you cant put 3 stage on it because you'll need to have diff rocker arms. you dont have a spot for another soleniod anyway. all the solenoid does is allow oil to flow to the pin inside the rockers
Old 12-10-2007, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc v-tec solenoid (ej1-usdm)

No VTEC-E isn't 3 stage VTEC. The HX and VX are not 3 stage VTEC. 3 stage VTEC is a combination of VTEC-E (minus the roller rockers) and SOHC VTEC. 3 stage VTEC is only available in Japan and Europe in the ~ 96-00 Civic VTi.

VTEC is made up of much more than just the solenoid. The solenoid is merely a switch. VTEC is in the whole entire valve train assembly. There is no way to get it except to swap the entire head and ECU into your car.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: sohc v-tec solenoid (ej1-usdm)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ej1-usdm &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">sry bout my spelling/grammer what not.. so i was reading up on the vtec E. saying that its a 3 stage vtec. i beleive frm the hx/vx/correct me if im wrong.

currently i have d16z6 an was wondering. if i was to swap the solenoid
would it make a differant?????? like more hp gain/ gas saver? direct fit wid no modifaction? 3 stage v-tec sounds cool. an you get 50 mpg well thats what the write up said. lmao. any help would b appreciated. please, dont spam or talk shiet okayz guyz. thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

For the first part. You're wrong. The HX/VX (D16Y5/D15Z1 respectively) use VTEC-E, economical VTEC that uses half the valves before 2k or something to that effect with a long transmission for better mpg.

3 Stage VTEC is on JDM D15B motors - and I'm sure it's on others, but not any USDM motors I don't think, and certainly not the Z1. 3 Stage VTEC offers both regular VTEC as a D16Z6, GSR, Type R, etc. etc. would have it, AS WELL as VTEC-E (Z1/Y5).

In case you're wondering why it's called "3 stage" instead of "2 stage" due to 2 different types of VTEC, it's because if you wanted to get all technical about it, regular VTEC as you would find on a B16A2 or GSR, or something of that sort is technically "2 stage VTEC" (1, regular cam lobes, then 2, VTEC cam lobes) - the 3 stage just adds in VTEC-E off the Y5/Z1.

There is NO difference in solenoids, so yes, it will bolt right up, NO power differences nor MPG will change due that. Also, as previously mentioned, the Z1 and Y5 use VTEC-E, which is NOT the same as 3 stage VTEC.

Hope that clears it up just a bit.

PS: You gotta pay to play. There's no "super power motor" that gets "awesome MPG" - people always claim turbo GSR's and such - but by the time you got a 4 cylinder making 500hp, it uses more fuel to drive normally than an average V8 does to do the same. So power = fuel, regardless of how you split it, turbo, nitrous, all motor, etc. etc. - you always need to burn more fuel to get more power.

Unless ur talking about the Chevy LS* series which has awesome power and gets like 6-8mpg less than a Z6 civic on the highway . That's just an awesome motor though .
Old 12-10-2007, 08:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ well said
Old 12-10-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (SOHC_4dr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SOHC_4dr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ well said</TD></TR></TABLE>

Y thank you.