Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused

Old 01-15-2003, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused

hey guyz i just need help on wheter to go sohc turbo or dohc turbo. sohc turbo i save money dohc turbo i go faster lol... how's a stock d16y8 turbo do in an eg6? help me out guyz im so confused.....
Old 01-15-2003, 03:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (egturbo)

DOHC
Old 01-15-2003, 03:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (5thgenhybrid)

dohc buddy
Old 01-15-2003, 03:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (silverEH2)

Search
Old 01-15-2003, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (96 SOHC VTEC)

you haven't been here long enough so i will explain, if you don't go DOHC here you will probibly never be taken seriously unless you get up into the relm of the sohc hardcore people. mossst everyone here will say DOHC but there is a small SOHC following.
Old 01-15-2003, 04:21 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (96 SOHC VTEC)

stick with your sohc vtec, and get a greddy kit, save you some money, and you probably really dont need to go that fast> you will also relized you wasted all that money for just temporary pleasure.

you will be happy with a sohc turbo, it still will be quick.

my 2 cents

Old 01-15-2003, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (tek_civic)

you haven't been here long enough so i will explain, if you don't go DOHC here you will probibly never be taken seriously unless you get up into the relm of the sohc hardcore people. mossst everyone here will say DOHC but there is a small SOHC following.
Who cares if he isn't taken seriously. The sohc doesn't have as much potential as a dohc, but that isn't any reason to ignore it. An inexpensive turbo setup like the greddy kit on a stock sohc will put down more power than a stock or even lightly modded b18c1.

Best advice that I could give would be to really access your goals. You may very well be able to hit them with a sohc.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (kommon_sense)

How fast can you afford to go?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:16 PM

Best advice that I could give would be to really access your goal
What are the goals anyway? Do you have an ET you want in the 1/4 or need it to be quick and have very fast spools for autocrossing or in and out of traffic?
Old 01-15-2003, 05:34 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (tek_civic)

LOL, so true. I am a prime example of this small following. I dunno about not getting taken seriously. I think the only people that don't get taken seriously are the ones that have not owned either one.

Seems to be quite a few of those types floating around here.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

DOHC
Old 01-15-2003, 05:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (dcsports)

sohc has potential. why waste a good engine anyways.
Old 01-15-2003, 05:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (tominos)

sohc all the way man. save money
Old 01-15-2003, 06:08 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (turbod16y8)

If you compare $/hp, SOHC will win. You already have the engine. Say you put 2 g's into a turbo kit and engine management/fuel management and tuning. That is still at least a g less than a C1 swap and about the same as a B16 swap. You'll be spanking the B16's and probably beating the C1's if setup right.

I just don't see why everyone needs a DOHC turbo engine. I highly doubt you're building your car to race and support your family. Therefor, make it pleasurable and reliable. Not everyone needs to get down the 1320 in 12.00 on slicks. It's about having fun, doing something new, and enjoying what you did. I say SOHC, simply because you'll be putting down way more torque than a stock B16 and you're boostin, with much more potential. With my slightly modded D16Z6, I barely lose to B16 swapped EG's in the quarter.

BUT- if you have unlimited amounts of funds ad want to go nuts, then build a B20/B16 turbo. Since you're not, stay SOHC. Look into supercharging too. Putting down more torque than a C1 at 3k rpm.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:11 PM

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (Emerica)

If you compare $/hp, SOHC will win. You already have the engine. Say you put 2 g's into a turbo kit and engine management/fuel management and tuning. That is still at least a g less than a C1 swap and about the same as a B16 swap. You'll be spanking the B16's and probably beating the C1's if setup right.

I just don't see why everyone needs a DOHC turbo engine. I highly doubt you're building your car to race and support your family. Therefor, make it pleasurable and reliable. Not everyone needs to get down the 1320 in 12.00 on slicks. It's about having fun, doing something new, and enjoying what you did. I say SOHC, simply because you'll be putting down way more torque than a stock B16 and you're boostin, with much more potential. With my slightly modded D16Z6, I barely lose to B16 swapped EG's in the quarter.

BUT- if you have unlimited amounts of funds ad want to go nuts, then build a B20/B16 turbo. Since you're not, stay SOHC. Look into supercharging too. Putting down more torque than a C1 at 3k rpm.
You took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 01-15-2003, 06:30 PM

check these forums out....

http://pub19.ezboard.com/bturbod16forum

look at this hatch.... http://pub19.ezboard.com/fturbod16fo...cID=2178.topic

pics of that hatch....

Old 01-16-2003, 10:26 AM

damn thanks for ur help guyz im a noob to this site n its helping me out alot with my desicions. yeah my funds arent high enough for the swaps but enough for turbo. lol.. im not in it for the speed anymore i crashed my b16 turbo car about a year n a half ago. [url="http://www.turbosean.8k.com"] now im in it for the spool n blow off just cruisin lol. n to beat the guyz that talk ish ya know theres a couple around here i wanna spank lol.. http://www.turbosean.8k.com[/url] if u can see i dont want to lose my new 93 eg. btw it wasnt my fault a drunk driver hit me.. totalled it. well anyways thanks again for the help. i say sohc all the way lol

p.s. whats pm?

[Modified by egturbo, 1:28 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you really have the luxury of choosing, then naturally a DOHC would fit the bill nicley. But for most of us where $$ is a factor, SOHC works nicley. I can setup a nice GReddy based kit with AFC/DSM 450's for fuel to come in around $2-2500 and it'll put down more power than a C5 and more torque than an H22.. think about it.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (VTC_boost-less_CiViC)

SOHC gets my vote. There's a fellow h/t member seeling some piston/Rod combo's for the d16's. He's selling them for $400, and says it can handle roughly 14-18psi depnding on how think/thin of a head gasket you use. Oh, and that's without re-sleeving a block. With a Greddy/Apexi kit, you could easily put down 300+ to the WHEELS.

So.. D16 swap Est. $400-700
Rod/Piston combo $400
Turbo Kit $1000-2000
Tuning and Misc parts $200-600

Your looking at about $2000-3700 depending on what you want to do. and have a safe, very efficent, and VERY FAST car.

Old 01-16-2003, 11:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (JDMhondaEH2)

Just wait a little while before you commit to a turbo. JG Edelbrock has a very interesting looking kit that will be available in early Spring.

One interesting think about it is that it comes with a whole new intake manifold with 4 extra injectors and a control unit. I'm assuming that the control unit ups the fuel to the additional injectors based on the amount of boost it sees. However I'm curious why they just didn't give you bigger injectors and a piggyback similar to an AFC. But who knows... The new manifold may be setup better for turbo than the stock one... I really don't know.

Here is a link at Edelbrock's site : http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/...bocharger.html

[Modified by kommon_sense, 5:52 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 12:05 PM

Just wait a little while before you commit to a turbo. JG Edelbrock has a very interesting looking kit that will be available in early Spring.

One interesting think about it is that it comes with a whole new intake manifold with 4 extra injectors and a control unit. I'm assuming that the control unit ups the fuel to the additional injectors based on the amount of boost it sees. However I'm curious why they just didn't give you bigger injectors and a piggyback similar to an AFC. But who knows... The new manifold may be setup better for turbo than the stock one... I really don't know.
This kit for an SOHC? I doubt it. An SOHC would have to extremely built to need eight injectors. Even if you wanted to run 8 small injectors, can you imagine how much JG is going to get for that manifold/kit?
Old 01-16-2003, 12:08 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (Tony Starks)

B18B's are purty cheap...you can get turbo later and the 18b would more than tide you over until then.
Old 01-16-2003, 12:20 PM

This kit for an SOHC? I doubt it. An SOHC would have to extremely built to need eight injectors. Even if you wanted to run 8 small injectors, can you imagine how much JG is going to get for that manifold/kit?
you wrong black man.. a sohc doesn't need to be "extremely built" to run 8 injectors.. regular internals will do fine, fuel managment + tuning is key. anywho just my .02 cents
Old 01-16-2003, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, it is for SOHC, d16y8 to be specific. Eight injectors has nothing to do with being built. It is all about getting enough fuel to the engine. The stock injectors are only 270cc which are only good up to about 187hp. They claim over 60% increase in power (easily done) so using only the stock injectors would have them running near max duty cycle and that isn't good.

Edelbrock turbo for sohc d16y8

Edelbrock D-Series Manifolds

The same manifold for the B-series runs around $350 for the unpolished version, so hopefully this kit won't be too expensive. Besides, considering that they can fabricate many of the pieces in the kit, maybe that will cut down on costs. Guess that we will find out soon.
Old 01-16-2003, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused (JDMhondaEH2)

With a Greddy/Apexi kit, you could easily put down 300+ to the WHEELS.

Mmm I don't think you'll EVER see 300+whp on a GReddy kit, atleast not the SOHC kit. At 12psi I was only pushing 217 at the wheels, and that was tuned, and the turbo didn't have a whole lot more to give..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sohc turbo or dohc turbo?????? so confused