Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yesss it is true. Heres some pics from today. Basic info-garrett t3, griffin intercooler, hks wastegate, custom manifold...

__________________________________________________ _

A few more days and it'll be done. I'll post the end result. Woo-hoo

Heres a question... should i run open waste gate, or recirculated? i know its all opinion. just want yours

Modified by LetAGrlShowU at 2:10 AM 11/23/2007
Old 11-22-2007, 09:03 PM

Default Re: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION (LetAGrlShowU)

Resize your pics, and that looks like a cast manifold. From what I can make of it looking good.
Old 11-24-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION (ejoner)

Heres the custom downpipe

its coming along. put in the stage 1 clutch today. Heat sprayed the mani and downpipe. Ended up having to replace a rear main seal and found that a shift linkage bushing was rotted away. That would explain the grinding into 2nd gear in my one of my previous posts. Anyways, more pics to come...
Old 11-24-2007, 07:25 PM

so no one is going to suggest whether i run an open wasteagate or not? its just opinion. im not gunna bite.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:56 PM

Recirculated
Old 11-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION (djessenz)

If it's already recirculating as i see in one of your pictures leave it that way. Mine dumps straight down to the ground and my engine bay gets dirty as **** because of it.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION (forcefedferio)

yeah and it's advantageous to do so. You'll get more WHP by doing so.. Recirculating back into the exhaust will give you a ~10% loss in total HP
Old 11-25-2007, 05:08 AM

Default Re: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION (ke98248)

Thats useful information. I was told it didnt make a difference. Its really a 10 % power loss? Well also to think about is i have a two year old, so loud is ok, but obnoxious isnt. ya know? I took a ride in a friends IS300 w/ an open wastegate and told the guy turbo'ing my car I wanted it open. Then he assured me after allthe convos we've had about how i want thecar, that I wouldnt like it. But he also told me it didnt make a difference power wise.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:25 AM

Only thing i see that would make you pick would be how the cop's are around where you live. Around me quieter the better. IMO I'd rather have people know there about to get spanked at the next red light. haha
Old 11-25-2007, 08:49 AM

Default Re: (mattv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only thing i see that would make you pick would be how the cop's are around where you live. Around me quieter the better. IMO I'd rather have people know there about to get spanked at the next red light. haha</TD></TR></TABLE>
LoL. Well around me its also not such a good thing to call attention to yourself. Noise pollution is one of the minor violations on my car, along with illegal tint, ride height etc. I'm most concerned with my two year old and her comfort. The power will be there, but i wont use it much. Shes in the car with me 99% of the time. The 1% i'll get to use it probably isnt worth her having to listen to the racket. I think i'll probably end up going with the recirculation. They dont need to know theyre about to get spanked... they'll figure it out.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont like that manifold because of the BOV location. Thats the only thing I'd change.
Old 11-25-2007, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (LetAGrlShowU)

I'd agree, I'd use a closed loop system with a smaller child in the car, you don't want her to suffer from hearing problems at such an early age.. But, for those that want to know, here's where I got my info from:

Subject Title:
How much performance is lost by routing wastegate pipe into exhaust??? [Archived]
Author: 1
Old 11-25-2007, 10:58 AM

Default Re: (ke98248)

can you re-post the site? nothing came up
Old 11-25-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Bejita)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont like that manifold because of the BOV location. Thats the only thing I'd change.</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's the wastegate there chief, the manifold has nothing to do with BOV location.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mattv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Only thing i see that would make you pick would be how the cop's are around where you live. Around me quieter the better. IMO I'd rather have people know there about to get spanked at the next red light. haha</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not sure i understand, maybe things are different in your area?

A wastegate opens up to regulate boost pressure once the manifold pressure has reached a previously specified boost setting (I.E. 10 psi).....Considering the fact that at 10 psi, you are more than likely wide open throttle, the cops would be more pissed about the noise of an open wastegate, rather than the fact that you are hammering the **** out of your car????
Old 11-25-2007, 01:50 PM

Default Re: (forcefedferio)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by forcefedferio &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's the wastegate there chief, the manifold has nothing to do with BOV location.

A wastegate opens up to regulate boost pressure once the manifold pressure has reached a previously specified boost setting (I.E. 10 psi).....Considering the fact that at 10 psi, you are more than likely wide open throttle, the cops would be more pissed about the noise of an open wastegate, rather than the fact that you are hammering the **** out of your car????</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea i was laughing about that earlier, but wutever. And your right that cops care more about you racing than the noise the car makes. I was more concerned with power difference. Somebody tried posting a site with the differencs of open vs recirculated but it didnt come up
Old 11-25-2007, 02:06 PM

LOL...WTF was I typing....Thats what I ment. If you did your research you would know that the wastegate location on your exhaust manifold is not a good design. I would invest in a better manifold.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">LOL...WTF was I typing....Thats what I ment. If you did your research you would know that the wastegate location on your exhaust manifold is not a good design. I would invest in a better manifold.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are really making my head hurt, when running an external wastegate may i ask you where the hell else would it be located?
Old 11-25-2007, 02:48 PM

Default Re: (forcefedferio)

I'd like to know too. I have no complaints about the set up right now. I'm estatic. And believe me, I'm not easy to please. But my car does that job.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:51 PM

Like I said....Do your research.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:54 PM

What the heck...I'll post a guide that I have always found helpful.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo...Goals
Old 11-25-2007, 02:56 PM

Even though i have the manifold already, i took a look on ebay. All of the manifolds have the wastegate located on top in the same spot. Where are you looking for your research? I'm not an expert, so i cant say whether your wrong or not but all the manifolds i saw were similar, except mine is an equal length manifold. all the runners are the same length.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What the heck...I'll post a guide that I have always found helpful.

http://www.beesandgoats.com/bo...Goals</TD></TR></TABLE>

anyone see the Duck call in the BOV?

i laughed for hours
Old 11-25-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

(half way taken apart for winter getting prepared for 15 psi, so i don't want to hear "where's the BOV" "hide your vacuum lines" "that's dirty")

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bejita &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Like I said....Do your research.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^^^looks like i HAVE done my research son. Why don't you show me yours. You show me why you believe a wastegate on the manifold is such a bad design (as if there were a different way, like i said with an externally gated turbo set-up).

Until then.
Old 11-25-2007, 03:06 PM

Go down to the exhaust manifold section in the link I posted. I never ment to come off as a ******** or anything. I think your setup will be fine. But my preference would be a different mani. Let us know how she does when you're done!!
Old 11-25-2007, 03:07 PM

Default Re: (nix94delsol)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nix94delsol &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

anyone see the Duck call in the BOV?

i laughed for hours</TD></TR></TABLE>

the blow off valve is nowhere in those pics. are you ok?

Quick Reply: SOHC Turbo Build.. UNDER CONSTRUCTION