Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC Mini me question.....

Old 01-16-2003, 11:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC Mini me question.....

I'm getting my vtec head on friday. Just had a few questions.

1)Can I use my existing timing belt?
2)How do I take the exhaust manifold off? Do I need to unbolt from the bottom first?
3)Gaskets and vtec rpm switch. Is that all I need? The head is complete! Includes everything.
4)I heard about some oil line you have to switch around. Can you explain that alittle more in detail?
5)How do I set timing? I dont really understand how to set it.
6)It comes with a aftermarket cam gear. How do I set that up for better performance.

Any and all info will be apreciated. I hope i dont get any lame responses. Thanks for you time guys!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:10 PM

Default Re: SOHC Mini me question..... (Panda EK)

Bump!
Old 01-16-2003, 12:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

search button is ur friend...
Old 01-16-2003, 01:16 PM
GDD Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, but a new one is like $20, so get a new one cheap *** mufugga

2)How do I take the exhaust manifold off? Do I need to unbolt from the bottom first?
Take the bolts off of your manifold that hold it to the head and that's it. Bolt the old manifold to the new head.

3)Gaskets and vtec rpm switch. Is that all I need? The head is complete! Includes everything.
Get a VTEC oil pump if you decide not to go with the VTEC controller.

4)I heard about some oil line you have to switch around. Can you explain that alittle more in detail?
VTEC engages when the oil pressure reaches a certain point (47psi), so you would have to run an oil line from your engine oil to your head, but since you're using a VTEC rpm activated switch(VTEC Control), you don't need to run the line.

Set your cam gear to TDC, then set your Crank pulley to TDC, there should be an arrow pointing up or something. Take your crank pulley off and slip the old belt off by loosening the tensioner, you might want to change your waterpump at this time as well. To install your new belt, just slip it on and tighten the tensioner.

Tensioner instructions are conveniently located all over the archived threads of this website and in detail in any service manual.

6)It comes with a aftermarket cam gear. How do I set that up for better performance.
Go the the website of the company that made that cam gear and i'm sure they'll explain it in more words than I feel like typing today.

Any and all info will be apreciated. I hope i dont get any lame responses. Thanks for you time guys!
I guarantee you'll get many more lame responses.
Old 01-16-2003, 01:31 PM

Default Re: SOHC Mini me question..... (slomofo)

Thanks bro!
Old 01-16-2003, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: SOHC Mini me question..... (slomofo)

Yes, but a new one is like $20, so get a new one cheap *** mufugga

Take the bolts off of your manifold that hold it to the head and that's it. Bolt the old manifold to the new head.

Get a VTEC oil pump if you decide not to go with the VTEC controller.

VTEC engages when the oil pressure reaches a certain point (47psi), so you would have to run an oil line from your engine oil to your head, but since you're using a VTEC rpm activated switch(VTEC Control), you don't need to run the line.

Set your cam gear to TDC, then set your Crank pulley to TDC, there should be an arrow pointing up or something. Take your crank pulley off and slip the old belt off by loosening the tensioner, you might want to change your waterpump at this time as well. To install your new belt, just slip it on and tighten the tensioner.

Tensioner instructions are conveniently located all over the archived threads of this website and in detail in any service manual.

Go the the website of the company that made that cam gear and i'm sure they'll explain it in more words than I feel like typing today.

I guarantee you'll get many more lame responses.
WWHHOOOAAAAA!!! you are way wrong dude! He said SOHC cam not DOHC!

To do a mini-me on a sohc you do the following.

Depending on the motor also. If you have a d16a6 you need the z6 timing belt. If you have a d15 you also need a z6 timing belt, if you have a y7 you can use eather the y7 timing belt or you can use a z6 (they are the same).

You dont need to run any oil lines!! (this is NOT a dohc head). With the d16a6/d15 you need to remove the oil squirter on the top of the block - its on the top in the middle on the back side. It looks like a little squirter! Just pull that little thing out.

Then swap on the head, you can use any sohc 88-00 head gasket although i recommend using a y8 has they are $37 from honda (cheapest). Then use the z6/y7 timing belt. Get a book on that.

Now to use vtec - it sorta depends on the type of car you are putting this into.

You are either going to need a vtec ecu - or something like a apec vafc or rpm switch. Vtec comes on with 12 volts to the vtec switch...NOT oil pressure.

As far as the oil pump, all sohc d16 oil pumps are basicly the same - you dont need one out of a z6/y8. This isnt a dohc motor remember.

Ive done this same thing on my ZC sohc (pm6 same as d16a6) with a d16z6 head. Ive also done a few d16y7 -> d16y8 conversions.

So if you have any questions - lemme know.

liam

[Modified by liam821, 2:43 PM 1/16/2003]
Old 01-16-2003, 01:44 PM

Default Re: SOHC Mini me question..... (liam821)

Thanks alot Liam!! I will be in contact!