Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC IM mods.

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 12:17 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default SOHC IM mods.

I was talking to one of my guys and he said I could unplug a coolant hose that goes to the IM to get colder air..........I guess this "hose" heats up the IM because it carries hot coolant (sorry guys I don't know what the hose is called, all i know is its by the VTEC solenoid).
Also, How would i get a GSR TB to fit on my SOHC, do i need to fab an adapter plate or does it bolt up, and do i need to swap any parts out of the TB? Or will the GSR one bolt up to the y8 IM? I was also thinking about building the D with ZC slugs and LS rods but I think the compression will be too high. Are the DSM 15g(Evo 8) turbos good for the SOHC or are they too big cus i read they have a fast as spool. Sorry for all the questions, just trying to inform myself before i *** my motor up
Old 03-13-2007, 09:37 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: SOHC IM mods. (JDM_Frijoles)

next day bump.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dos it get cold were you are cause it keeps the throttle from freezing i believe but you can bypass it

its under the throttle body its a hose the goes in and comes out at a right angle. theres a thread on here some were if you search for it.
Old 03-13-2007, 09:50 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (eg8tuner)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eg8tuner &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">dos it get cold were you are cause it keeps the throttle from freezing i believe but you can bypass it

its under the throttle body its a hose the goes in and comes out at a right angle. theres a thread on here some were if you search for it.</TD></TR></TABLE> Yeah, I remember reading that **** somewhere, then some dude showed me his IM with that mod done, he said the engine runs cooler. It seems like that ****'s unsafe for the motor
Old 03-14-2007, 09:09 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (JDM_Frijoles)

bump
Old 03-16-2007, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the throttle body will bolt up, but you need to port match your IM.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slowturbocx)

btw: go with tuner toy rods and vitara pistons with rings all for $400. that turbo would be okay i would use something bigger then that though.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowturbocx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the throttle body will bolt up, but you need to port match your IM. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ya w/o boring the port in your IM to match the TB size it'll actually hurt your car's HP by creating turbulence in the throttle body/intake arm. Didn't know it would bolt up though..thought it wouldn't..oh well, either way, it has to be port matched or it'll only hurt you.

As for the hose - you CAN do that...I wouldn't, you won't notice any serious gains or anything from it (if you notice anything at all). Just leave it on, it'll prevent sticking problems.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:26 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by slowturbocx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">btw: go with tuner toy rods and vitara pistons with rings all for $400. that turbo would be okay i would use something bigger then that though. </TD></TR></TABLE> Where did you find that price? Sponsors?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

why put a gsr tb on your d16..
it aint gonna do nothing...
getsomething else...
Old 03-16-2007, 12:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (ARMED)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ARMED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why put a gsr tb on your d16..
it aint gonna do nothing...
getsomething else...</TD></TR></TABLE> How do you figure it aint gonna do nothing d00d? Bigger bore = more airflow/more power the engine produces. Right?
Old 03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

on a honda engine to much air flow can kill hp. You should do some research.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Frijoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How do you figure it aint gonna do nothing d00d? Bigger bore = more airflow/more power the engine produces. Right? </TD></TR></TABLE>

And as you completely skipped over my post you have no idea what the hell is going on - it will NOT do anything except make you LOSE power (due to turbulence) unless you port match the intake manifold .

In and of itself a GSR throttle body (or any larger throttle body) won't do jack **** except restrict air flow due to turbulence in the plenum and intake arm.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:35 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

And as you completely skipped over my post you have no idea what the hell is going on - it will NOT do anything except make you LOSE power (due to turbulence) unless you port match the intake manifold .

In and of itself a GSR throttle body (or any larger throttle body) won't do jack **** except restrict air flow due to turbulence in the plenum and intake arm.</TD></TR></TABLE> Listen dude, I didnt skip your post, and when did i say i wasnt going to port match the ****** IM to the TB bore. Its common sense. And your post about the GSR jacking up air flow is bullshit to me, but since i dont know alot about airflow and what not and i dont like to repeat copywritten articles, I'll give you the benfit of the doubt................there you happy syn? You got the last word.

/Thread.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

..bigger is not always better....
bigger TB..you get more/faster response...

dude...relaaaax....
im just sayin....
i havent heard much about a gsr TB mounted into a sohc manifold....(d16y8)
like people here said...you might loose HP...

but hey...
i guess try it....if it works...thats good then right...let us kow whats up if you get good results....

but like they said...the gsr bore is pretty big compair to the d16y TB...
it might not fit right...
Old 03-16-2007, 04:26 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ARMED &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..bigger is not always better....
bigger TB..you get more/faster response...

dude...relaaaax....
im just sayin....
i havent heard much about a gsr TB mounted into a sohc manifold....(d16y8)
like people here said...you might loose HP...

but hey...
i guess try it....if it works...thats good then right...let us kow whats up if you get good results....

but like they said...the gsr bore is pretty big compair to the d16y TB...
it might not fit right...
</TD></TR></TABLE> It's been done.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

its been done...how is it...

whats the results
Old 03-16-2007, 06:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It only makes sense if you have a good size turbo and/or a camshaft. Basically whatever you think would make the D pull as much air as the GSR motor. On a stock motor with I/H/E, it wont do anything. You can put as much air in front of an engine as you want, but it's only going to pull so much. Any extra diameter is just going to slow air flow. It sounds like everyone is in agreement on this but I wanted to clear it up. What I want to know is if you can just feather the throttle and pretend like it's a smaller diameter.

Yes, it will bolt right up and plug right in. I've seen it with the OBD1s at least, someone else can confirm later models plugging in. Use the GSR TB gasket. I personally have put a B18A1 tb on a NA D-series, and I'm putting a B18B tb on my FI D series. Both port-matches of course, should go w/out saying. It's already bolted up to the Y8 manifold that's going on with the turbo.

For the coolant bypass, you'll need to get some gasket material and sandwich it between the FITV and the bottom of the TB. Some TBs dont even have an FITV on them. In that case it's a simple matter of rerouting the coolant. In either case you're going to take the coolant line coming from near the VTEC solenoid, and connect it to the line on the alternator side where the coolant returns from the IACV. You can bypass the IACV with no effect on idle. The only bad effect of this is that it can take longer for your engine to warm up. It has no ill effects on the motor. If you understood the purpose and operation of the system then you would already know that.

As far as gains, it feels about the same as installing a CAI. No one is going to do a before/after dyno graph because it's pointless. You already know that colder air makes more power. It's probably a small gain, but it's not costing you anything. And it cleans up the engine bay and simplifies things so there is that much less to go wrong.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bigger TB requires a more efficient manifold and tuning to see results with out one or the other, nothing will hapen. because if you get to much air and your engine runs lean, thats not good and if you dont bore the IM or get a better one, that doesnt help as well.
Old 03-16-2007, 07:46 PM

match the IM with the TB and get bigger injectors & higher flowin fuel pump=good combo
Old 03-16-2007, 08:00 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (satinsol)

Thanks to all the TB believers , i think i forgot to mention the setup i posted is for a mild FI build. Thats the reason I want cool temps and some good flow. Ima clearify my topic: I building a mild FI setup, So far i got a 14g, hf Mani, resistor box, DSM 450's, 1g eclipse DP that im hack up and make my own DP, and i plan to tune it with chrome. IC and pipng are coming in soon. I'm going to buy a BOV, turbo timer, and AFC once i get my nexrt pay check.

:a edit:: It sez clearly on my original post, its for FI.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Frijoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And your post about the GSR jacking up air flow is bullshit to me, but since i dont know alot about airflow and what not and i dont like to repeat copywritten articles,</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's a personal problem, it's not illegal, as long as sources are cited and the information is published (as it must be to be an article), so the fact that it's copy written has no bearing on...well anything unless you're claiming you wrote it.

It's called basic fluid dynamics (yes air is considered a fluid as its flowing properties are the same as a fluid such as water).

Think of it this way, you have a tube that's X diameter - fluid will flow through it at Y speed. Now assuming you take another tube (exactly the same) and run the same composition fluid through it except this tube has a ring inside it that makes the total diameter inside that certain area X-3, though the rest is still X. When the fluid hits that ring it will "bounce" back and fight against the fluid coming inwards. This will create turbulence. The air flowing at Y speed before the ring will flow at a speed less than Y after the ring.

So I don't care if it's bullshit or not to you, for some reason engineers and professors know better than you.

What cracks me up is the hypocrisy in your post. First you say "port matching is common sense" then you say "post about the GSR jacking up air flow is bullshit to me." The reason it will "jack your air flow up" is if it's not port matched. Now, if you refer to EXACTLY what I say, putting JUST the GSR TB w/o the port match WILL hurt your air flow.

It WILL slow your air flow, it's fluid dynamics, physics, a Honda engine is no exception to physics, I don't give a **** how good VTEC is.

Though obviously you know the intake manifold needs to be port matched, so there won't be a problem. That's the only important point I was making. Though ask any professor (you probably don't know any) or grad student (same applies) in the field of mechanical engineering or physics and they'll tell you the same ******* thing I did, it WILL create turbulence, and it WILL disrupt air flow. This will result in lost power.

Even if somebody poses the argument of the natural induction of the engine without help (forced induction) isn't enough to suck the air to a point where it it will fill up the entire diameter of the throttle body, doesn't say anything about the point of how it reacts to the last bend (which is necessary due to the throttle body location in relevance to the strut tower) before the throttle body in which it will press up against the adjacent side if it's not full and will create turbulence, so either way, it will disrupt your air flow.

Though like I said, the most important part and the only part I was trying to tell you is what you know, that the IM MUST be port matched to the TB size (or larger) or JUST the larger throttle body (the throttle body diameter being larger than the intake manifold port diameter) will lose you some power.

Oh well. Good luck with your intake manifold upgrades. I'm not trying to be an ******* even if it comes out that way.

Old 03-16-2007, 08:08 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Oh well. Good luck with your intake manifold upgrades. I'm not trying to be an ******* even if it comes out that way.</TD></TR></TABLE> ........meh.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Frijoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> ........meh. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously, I'm not, I'm just responding to this:
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JDM_Frijoles &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> How do you figure it aint gonna do nothing d00d? Bigger bore = more airflow/more power the engine produces. Right?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If port matched like you intend to do, yes, if not, then it does the opposite (though not an inverse proportion).

- You know what you're doing though since you plan on having it port matched, so it's all good.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:23 PM

Default Re: SOHC IM mods. (JDM_Frijoles)

The tb aint going to do much since you just got a super afc and no real management. Your probably gonna run slower. Why does everyone use dsm 450s and afc ? I was running dsm turbo and stock injectors @ 10psi and never leaned out at all..