Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM?

Old 10-11-2004, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM?

I really want to make my VTEC kick in hard. I was thinking cam and VAFC hoping to set A/F ratio to produce a largely noticeable lobe changeover. Will this work?

What cam produces somewhat normal primary list and duration and VTEC producing a large difference?

Who has a SOHC VTEC motor that can do this?

Any help will do thanks.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (EJ1Racing.tk)

fifth gear pinned......., slam it into second........ and vtec usually screams
Old 10-11-2004, 08:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

A large or noticeable changeover is usually a sign of an untuned motor. When a motor, even a bseries, has a smooth transition, and makes as much usable power as possible, you know you have a better combination than a motor that "snaps" during the changeover. Although the sound is kind of cool, the full potential may not be realized.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (rodrez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rodrez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">A large or noticeable changeover is usually a sign of an untuned motor. When a motor, even a bseries, has a smooth transition, and makes as much usable power as possible, you know you have a better combination than a motor that "snaps" during the changeover. Although the sound is kind of cool, the full potential may not be realized.</TD></TR></TABLE>

110% true.

people dont realize there should be no noticable audible change when vtec engages, all of a sudden it just progressivley gets louder.
if you hear and feel a kick, the vtec isnt engaging at the proper time.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:37 PM

Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (rodrez)

Well.........What can I do for the noticible changeover anyways, not looking for a smooth powerband because usually when I put it into vtec I dont go through transitions with the powerband. Just like the snap of VTEC and want it noticible, Can I achieve this? Will my cam and VAFC plan work?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:40 PM
H-T Poker champion

So.. you are saying you dont want your engine to have full potential by having a gradual cross over.. You just want the "snap"... You should get a jdm "intercooler" intake and fake BOV too.. that would be sweet..

Maybe you should work on finding out wat "CTR" means before you worry about VTEC.. Do you even know what VTEC is, or what exactly happens when our car "hits" VTEC?
Old 10-11-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Actually you asked for EVERYONE on this board comments. So don't ask if you don't want to hear the truth.
Old 10-11-2004, 08:49 PM

to creator of thread
Old 10-11-2004, 08:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (untitledsn41)

reading the title made me laugh..lol
Old 10-11-2004, 08:54 PM

in before the lock!
Old 10-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1Racing.tk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well.........What can I do for the noticible changeover anyways, not looking for a smooth powerband because usually when I put it into vtec I dont go through transitions with the powerband. Just like the snap of VTEC and want it noticible, Can I achieve this? Will my cam and VAFC plan work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

make VTEC cross over at 6500....

or run a stock VX engine on a p28 ECU
Old 10-11-2004, 09:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EJ1Racing.tk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well.........What can I do for the noticible changeover anyways, not looking for a smooth powerband because usually when I put it into vtec I dont go through transitions with the powerband. Just like the snap of VTEC and want it noticible, Can I achieve this? Will my cam and VAFC plan work?</TD></TR></TABLE>

If you're really set on making it snap harder, you can go with a J's style intake and vtec controller, and set the crossover higher in the rpm. The motor will make subpar power before, and when it does crossover, it will feel stronger, and should be quite a bit louder, should "bark" pretty loud. Just keep in mind you're going to have an even narrower window of power.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh **** y0! thats awesome! you dont want a car to perform you want the mad jdm vtec sound y0!

[/yourself]
Old 10-11-2004, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (Kamin)

On a serious note... (I know its hard to take topics like this serious)

You'll probably make the most noticable vtec changeover sound if you have an intake and stock exhaust. (Single Cam that is)

But your a moron for spending money on a cam and VAFC just to make a loud vtec noise. If you want the biggest bang of all, just take your rev limiter off gun it until you their the bang go off.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Old 10-11-2004, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (Kamin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Kamin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">110% true.

people dont realize there should be no noticable audible change when vtec engages, all of a sudden it just progressivley gets louder.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is wrong, the audible change will always occur right when VTEC engages, but the power from VTEC should not be a snap.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (LsVtec92Hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is wrong, the audible change will always occur right when VTEC engages, but the power from VTEC should not be a snap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

2 liter 12.5:1 GSR bottom end, ITR head with JUN III;s.....crossing the torque curves with a high and low VTEC point for the best crossover, there was still a 20 ft lbs torque JUMP at vtec cross over!!!!

tell me you can't feel a 20 lbs increase....and tell me it wasn't tuned!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:21 PM
senior gold member

show it a scary movie, maybe it'll scream
Old 10-11-2004, 09:24 PM
beastly3

Eat **** u people now **** about hondas.....there is a way to make vtec pop loud as **** without, a vtec controller vafc, or all the other bullshit ideas....without loss of power or makin the car lose power, flame away as the internet **** would say, a guru like myself would never tell how either..... and to all u wanna bes and think u know everything
Old 10-11-2004, 09:28 PM

Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (beastly3)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beastly3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eat **** u people now **** about hondas.....there is a way to make vtec pop loud as **** without, a vtec controller vafc, or all the other bullshit ideas....without loss of power or makin the car lose power, flame away as the internet **** would say, a guru like myself would never tell how either..... and to all u wanna bes and think u know everything </TD></TR></TABLE>
So how do you do it???????? By the way guys thanks for the information lets keep it coming!
Old 10-11-2004, 09:31 PM

go open headers =p
Old 10-11-2004, 09:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by beastly3 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Eat **** u people now **** about hondas.....there is a way to make vtec pop loud as **** without, a vtec controller vafc, or all the other bullshit ideas....without loss of power or makin the car lose power, flame away as the internet **** would say, a guru like myself would never tell how either..... and to all u wanna bes and think u know everything </TD></TR></TABLE>

YOU sir, are the biggest ******* retard I have ever come across in my ENTIRE life. Have fun getting flamed. Loser
Old 10-11-2004, 09:33 PM

uhhhh... anyone else think this guys should get deducted 20%
Old 10-11-2004, 09:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You know what bro, I was trying to help you out, and give you some advice, being that I've been through a lot of tuning sessions with my motor, and friends motors that I've worked on, but I can you don't want my input. Not a problem, good luck to you on making your car sound loud, instead of creating usable power.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by LsVtec92Hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

this is wrong, the audible change will always occur right when VTEC engages, but the power from VTEC should not be a snap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Obviously it's going to change tones, that's not what this thread is about. Go back and read the first post, he's looking to make his crossover louder than what it usually would be. Louder doesn't mean stronger, it's a sign that a motor isn't crossing over at the optimum point.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:35 PM

Default Re: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM? (untitledsn41)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by untitledsn41 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

uhhhh... anyone else think this guys should get deducted 20%</TD></TR></TABLE>
I think so!!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SOHC......How to make VTEC SCREAM?