Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation.

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation.

i have a stock brake system on my 1992 civic dx 4dr. i've only had the car for a year. i have a receipt that says the brake system was reworked last last may before i had the car. it says the car came in with no brakes. i dont know exactly what was done. i see caliper-reman under parts and brake lining/friction, frt. under parts as well. under labor it says brake shoes & or pads R&R and caliper R&R.

basically, about a month after the car, the right front brake started sqeeling randomly and has done it ever since. i can feel some shimmying in the pedal that seem to come from the front right as well. also the pedal feels a little mushy . it seems like i have to press it done to far, maybe halfway before it builds any pressure. even then it doesnt seem like enough pressure. should i be able to press the pedal to the floor at all? it doesn't sink on it's on, but if i press hard then it will touch the floor. lately , my the rt front has been sqeaking less.

anyways, im just wondering what i should plan on replacing other than rotors and pads?. i dont think the rotors were replaced, so i plan on getting cheap blanks from napa or autozone. for brake pads, what do you guys recommend? i've read about 4pages and each person says something different about the same pad. i dont track my car and dont know if i plan to. even if i did , it wouldn't be often. dust doesnt really matter, but i want the brakes to be quiet.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:31 PM

Default Re: soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation. (drewthomas14)

I think its Brake Master Cylinder or Servo problem.
Try to pump up the brake paddle before u inserts the key. Your brake paddle should become solid hard. If not, you have master cylinder or Servo problem.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation. (hpd_eg2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpd_eg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its Brake Master Cylinder or Servo problem.
Try to pump up the brake paddle before u inserts the key. Your brake paddle should become solid hard. If not, you have master cylinder or Servo problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Word up, 'tis how u test the mc....

That just sounds weird though when u think about it...

"just pump it until it gets hard" - "should get hard in a few pumps"

lmao......and that's for the brakes.....the brake pedal......
Old 07-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation. (Syndacate)

with the key off, it the pedal get stiffer when i push it. but, when i have the car on and running, the pedal doesn't always build up pressure. im not sure how far i should have to push the pedal. halfway seems like a lot to me. also, im still wondering if i should be able to make it touch the floor?
Old 07-27-2006, 07:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hpd_eg2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think its Brake Master Cylinder or Servo problem.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Word up, 'tis how u test the mc....

That just sounds weird though when u think about it...

"just pump it until it gets hard" - "should get hard in a few pumps"

lmao......and that's for the brakes.....the brake pedal......</TD></TR></TABLE>

first off, if it was your m/c you would have brake fluid leaking every where and you pedal will be sitting on the floor whether you press it or not. when you take you brake pads off, check the seals in the caliper, make sure they're not bad. this will cause them to have air in the lines giving you that pedall problem. if everything is fine, i would replace lines, maybe there is a pin hole leak, or maybe replacing the brake booster.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation. (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
first off, if it was your m/c you would have brake fluid leaking every where and you pedal will be sitting on the floor whether you press it or not. when you take you brake pads off, check the seals in the caliper, make sure they're not bad. this will cause them to have air in the lines giving you that pedall problem. if everything is fine, i would replace lines, maybe there is a pin hole leak, or maybe replacing the brake booster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not entirely true. I had a bad m/c, and it leaked no brake fluid. Best way to check is to bleed the system and fill it with DOT3 brake fluid. But in all honesty, just go to an auto retailer, and buy one for about $40 with the exchange of your old one. Installation is about a 30 minute process, and you'll have a good m/c with a year warranty.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: soft brake pedal? also pad recommendation. (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

first off, if it was your m/c you would have brake fluid leaking every where and you pedal will be sitting on the floor whether you press it or not. when you take you brake pads off, check the seals in the caliper, make sure they're not bad. this will cause them to have air in the lines giving you that pedall problem. if everything is fine, i would replace lines, maybe there is a pin hole leak, or maybe replacing the brake booster.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not quite...

I've seen mc's bad w/o leaking

and if u have a soft pedal after a few pumps usually means there's a leak in ur system, usually in ur master or sc....

at OP:
I'd swap out the MC and if that doesn't work, the SC as well..

But if it's getting hard when u pump it while it's off, there shouldn't be a problem,b ut it sthould still stiffen up if u pump it while the car is on which kinda leads me to believe ur leaking from some place or have air in the system....or both....

Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have this same problem, i would have to press down on my brake pedal more just for it to grab. My m/c was leaking cause when i hold it down the brake pedal would sometimes sink to the floor but not all the time. I replaced the m/c but the problem is still there.

If i pump the pedal when the car is off it does get hard but as soon as i turn it on, it gets soft again. No air in the lines as well, absolutely none.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont think im leaking because my fluid level doesnt change. i think im just going to go get some autozone rotors and semimetallic pads , and some new fluid.

if that doesnt work, then i'll change the master cylinder or brake booster or both. can i upgrade to a large setup without changing anything else? i know you have to replace both to get a large master cylinder, but it wont affect anything else will it?
Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You don't have to be leaking to have a bad MC, iono about swapping MC's though, I'm pretty sure u can with an integra, but I dunno the find print of it...