Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

So my boot is busted !

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2002, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So my boot is busted !

DO you think I can throw on the bearings and a new boot and re-use my axle? It looks fine...just NO boot.

Here is what the poping off of a castle nut can do:

Old 07-22-2002, 12:06 PM

Default Re: So my boot is busted ! (maztur)

just fixed mine last weeked. ur lucky it was ur inner boot cuz its easier to change than the outer. if the joint isnt damaged and u hear no clickign when u drive/turn, then just replace the boot. may i suggest getting something from like autozone or any other auto parts store. the dealer charges way too much and i dont think their rubber boot is made that much better than anyone elses anyway.

get a inner cv boot repair kit, it'll come with the boot, packing grease and new clamps for the boot.

if u haven't noticed any weird noise when u drive and turn and there isnt like dirt and sand inside, the axle should be fine and reusable. hopefully only the boot ripped and u caught it early so only the boot needs replacing. good luck

-alan
Old 07-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: So my boot is busted ! (Pengo)

I hope so too, but if that fails I got some new (used) axles coming in anyways. Autozone has something like this? Yea, I ripped the outer boot before and I had to have a shop do it for $50 (parts+labor).
Old 07-22-2002, 01:47 PM

Yeah, if there's still grease packed in the joint, it means the boot wasn't torn up for very long. Just get a boot kit from your auto parts store or the dealership (napa had the ones I needed for the outers, had to get the inners from the dealership). The kits come with the boot, a packet of grease, the boot bands and new c-clips. Should be all you need. Do both sides, especially if the other side's boot is worn or cracked... it'll save you the headache later on down the road.

Old 07-22-2002, 03:05 PM

may i suggest getting something from like autozone or any other auto parts store. the dealer charges way too much and i dont think their rubber boot is made that much better than anyone elses anyway.
I disagree with this wholeheartedly, and completely.

The generic boots often do not have enough "folds" to compensate for non-stock installations (i.e. hybrids). I've had to replace TWO generic boots within one week because they burst. In addition, the clamps they include in these kits are absolute GARBAGE, and they don't include new snap rings OR axle nuts.

The original Honda (or Acura) boots come with PLENTY of folds to accomodate non-stock installations, have COLOR CODED grease, a TWO YEAR OLD could install the Honda clamps, and the Honda kits include new snap rings AND axle nuts.

If you wanna cheap out and get the aftermarket boots, that's your choice, but this is one case where the dealer product is CLEARLY superior to the aftermarket.

Shawn
Old 07-22-2002, 04:26 PM

Default Re: So my boot is busted ! (shawnhayes)

i was talking about the rubber. ur telling me honda makes superior rubber compared to any other generic company? i had some general brand from us autoparts, same EXACT amount of folds as my stock. came with colored grease. boot bands almost exactly the same as stock. came with new snap ring. look under my car and u cant even tell that its different from stock except that it is newer and cleaner right now

maybe u mistook me whan i said some generic or non-honda brand. i didn't mean just go in and ask for a cv boot. mine was made by some other company, but the boot was made specifically for my application.

now hondas kit which is 50-60 dollars for my car or the generic which cost $13. unless this boot breaks quickly and then does so 4-5 more times in a row, i will stick with the generic cv boot kit

in my case, i dont think i "cheaped out", i simply saved money. and i can't see how the honda boots are "CLEARLY" superior. i see their boot with "x" amount of folds, i see this boot with the same amount. included packet of colored grease? yup. new snap ring? yes. boot clamps? yes.

just my experience

-alan
Old 07-22-2002, 06:51 PM

i was talking about the rubber. ur telling me honda makes superior rubber compared to any other generic company? i had some general brand from us autoparts, same EXACT amount of folds as my stock. came with colored grease. boot bands almost exactly the same as stock. came with new snap ring. look under my car and u cant even tell that its different from stock except that it is newer and cleaner right now
Looks like you found a better brand of generic, and it's not the rubber, its the way the boot is constructed. I've used three other brands. Compared to Honda, they've all been crap (including the aftermarket ones available at the Honda dealer).

maybe u mistook me whan i said some generic or non-honda brand. i didn't mean just go in and ask for a cv boot. mine was made by some other company, but the boot was made specifically for my application.
Unfortunately, this is what happens at most "discount" auto parts stores. Although they tell you the boot is for your application, most likely it fits several other cars, and wasn't designed JUST for the Honda - you appear to have found a better part.

now hondas kit which is 50-60 dollars for my car or the generic which cost $13. unless this boot breaks quickly and then does so 4-5 more times in a row, i will stick with the generic cv boot kit
The "old" Honda kit included BOTH inner and outer boots for that price (in the past). Now, Honda sells a kit that includes the boots separately (now that they let you know that you can take the outer CV joint apart, and they sell a part to help you do it). The new kit costs about $25, or twice what you paid for your boot.

in my case, i dont think i "cheaped out", i simply saved money. and i can't see how the honda boots are "CLEARLY" superior. i see their boot with "x" amount of folds, i see this boot with the same amount. included packet of colored grease? yup. new snap ring? yes. boot clamps? yes.
For this one case, apparently you found a better part. Both of the boot kits I've gotten from Advance Auto Parts and Fisher Auto Parts have been crap, without proper snap rings or GOOD boot clamps (ones you don't have to have a special tool to install). Even you note that there was no new axle nut even in the better kit that you got. Compare MOST generic boots sold at these discount stores, and they clearly aren't the quality of the Honda part. I know, I think it's expensive too, but just in time saved installing clamps it was worth it for the ones I've bought.

Shawn
Old 07-22-2002, 07:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just buy re-builds from axle shops, $45. and 50k warranty

[Modified by sinister, 8:08 PM 7/22/2002]
Old 07-22-2002, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Dam castle nuts